44th Infantry Battalion [also called Petersburg City Battalion] was formed in November 1863, at Petersburg, Virginia. It contained three companies and later expanded to five. The unit served in the Department of North Carolina and Southern Virginia, then Company B was assigned as Provost Guard and Companies A, C, D, and F to General Archer's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. It was involved in various conflicts south of the James River and later took part in the Appomattox Campaign. The unit contained 167 men in September 1864, and surrendered with 6 officers and 52 men. Major Peter V. Batte was in command.