4th Infantry Battalion
Local Defense Troops

Field & Staff

A

B

C

D

E

F

4th Infantry Battalion Local Defense Troops was organized in June 1863, exclusively for the defense of Richmond. Its six companies were made up of employees from the Naval Ordnance Works, the Navy Yard, Rockett's Navy Yard, and the Richmond and Danville Railroad. In July it contained 308 effectives and later was assigned to General G. W. C. Lee's Brigade in the Department of Richmond. Most of the men were captured during the Appomattox operations at Sayler's Creek. Majors Martin W. Curlin and R. D. Minor were in command.

Previous Page