Field & Staff
5th Infantry Battalion completed its organization at Richmond, Virginia, in May 1861. Its six companies were raised in the counties of Brunswick, Dinwiddie, Prince George, Henrico, and Greensville. The unit served as heavy artillery along the James River before being attached to General Armistead's Brigade. During June 1862, it contained 213 men, was active in the Seven Days' Battles, then disbanded in September. Many of its members transferred to the 53rd Regiment Virginia Infantry. The field officers were Lieutenant Colonel F. H. Archer, and Majors William R. Foster and John P. Wilson, Jr.