63rd Infantry Regiment










The 63rd Regiment was organized May 24, 1862, with 10 companies, A to K, all enlisted for 3 years or the duration of the war. These companies were raised under an order from the Secretary of War, April 9, 1862 to Major John J. McMahon. McMahon was rewarded by being made Colonel of the 63rd in May, when the regiment was formally organized at Abingdon in Washington County, Virginia. Colonel McMahon was succeeded by Lieutenant Colonel David C. Dunn. Major James M. French, who was later promoted to Colonel, succeeded Colonel Dunn and the 63rd ended the war with Captain (later Lieutenant Colonel) Connally H. Lynch in command. Lynch was also commander of the 54th Battalion, a consolidation of the 54th and 63rd Virginia Infantry regiments. The regiment was apparently reorganized January 17, 1863. At that time, the first Company I was dissolved and the second one created. Members of Co. I(1) were discharged to join other companies. The Second Company I took many of the Carroll County residents of Company G and a few others and organized a company. Company C, a Grayson County Company gave up 36 soldiers to go into fill out the now reduced Company G, and bring it back up to strength.

Company A, (Captain William L. Hunter's Company) was organized March 31 - April 1, 1862 at Abingdon, Washington Co., mainly from residents of that county. This company was enlisted for 3 years or the duration of the war. D. C. Dunn was the enlisting officer. The company travelled with the rest of the regiment through the war. Muster rolls exist for May-June 1863 when the company was at Saltville dated July 2, 1863, and several rolls while the regiment was in Tennessee and Georgia, the last being July-August 1864, when the company was in the field near Atlanta. Company A's commander reported three killed and four wounded at Chickamauga. Two original members of this company had served in Co. G, 50th Virginia Infantry.

William L. Hunter, Captain
Albert Wisely, 2nd Lieutenant
Milton W. Humes, 1st Lieutenant/Captain
Albert Haynes, 2nd Lieutenant
Haynes Austin, 2nd Lieutenant
James H. Smith, 3rd Lieutenant/2nd Lieutenant
William L. McChesney, 2nd Lieutenant
George Smith, 3rd Lieutenant

Company B (Captain Connally H. Lynch's Company) was organized April 5, 1862 at Abingdon, Virginia for 3 years or the duration, by D. C. Dunn, mustering officer. Seventeen members of this company were transferred from Co. G (1st), 50th Virginia Infantry afterward Company I(1st) of the 63rd; others were transferred from Co. I(1st) when it was disbanded about January 1863. This company was formed from men from Sullivan County, Tennessee and Washington County, Virginia. The company was with the main part of the regiment throughout the war as far as can be determined.

Connally H. Lynch, Captain/Lieutenant Colonel
Robert Lindermood, 2nd Lieutenant
George J. A. Claman, 2nd Lieutenant/1st Lieutenant/Captain
Joseph Leonard, 2nd Lieutenant
Valentine C. Rust, 1st Lieutenant
A. Jackson Dishner, 2nd Lieutenant
John J. Slaughter, 2nd Lieutenant/1st Lieutenant
Amos B. Hill, 2nd Lieutenant
Joseph Leonard, 1st Lieutenant

Company C (Captain Stephen B. Cornutt's Company, also known as the "Marshall Rifles," named for General Humphrey Marshall) was organized April 6, 1862 at Moccasin Gap mainly from Grayson County residents. The Grayson Militia and militias from other southwestern counties were mobilized in early 1862 by Marshall after a Federal incursion at Pound Gap. This was a ruse to obtain further recruits for the Army.

Stephen B. Cornutt, Captain
Joseph Young, 1st Lieutenant
John Blair Waugh, 1st Lieutenant/Captain
Troy H. Spencer, 2nd Lieutenant
Bennett Rector, 2nd Lieutenant/1st Lieutenant
William H. Scott, 2nd Lieutenant
Kenly C. Atkins, 1st Lieutenant
James Nelson Ingoldsby, 2nd Lieutenant

Company D, (Captain John R. Francis' Company) was organized April 15, 1862, mainly from Montgomery County, Virginia residents. The company was formed at Peterstown in Monroe County, (West) Virginia by James M. French, enlisting officer. It was reported that 22 members of this company deserted in August 1863 during the march through Tennessee. The company was near Atlanta per the August 1864 muster roll, which is the last surviving roll.

John R. Francis, Captain
Wesley Isaac, 2nd Lieutenant
James L. Bain, 1st Lieutenant/Captain
Michael Lucas, 2nd Lieutenant/1st Lieutenant
Thomas L. Sailes, 2nd Lieutenant/1st Lieutenant
E. H. Callahan, 3rd Lieutenant/2nd Lieutenant
Harvey P. Wilson, 2nd Lieutenant
Erastus Taylor, 3rd Lieutenant

Company E, (Captain David O. Rush's Company) was organized May 2, 1862 at Glade Springs, Washington Co., Virginia. from area residents. There are no special comments made in the muster rolls about unusual activities, or specific accounts of battle.

David O. Rush, Captain
William Preston Wallace, 2nd Lieutenant/1st Lieutenant
G. C. McChesney, 1st Lieutenant
Emmett B. Rush, 2nd Lieutenant
Valentine Rust, 1st Lieutenant
Samuel E. Carmack, 3rd Lieutenant
Abram Hamby, 2nd Lieutenant/1st Lieutenant

Company F, (Captain John E. Snodgrass' Company) was organized May 6, 1862, at Abingdon, mainly from Washington County, Virginia residents. The mustering officer was J. J. McMahon. At Chickamauga the company lost 1 killed, 1 mortally wounded - Captain Snodgrass, and "several severely wounded." The company commander reported action at Stone Side, Gerogia on February 25, 1864, which was 8 miles from camp at Dalton, Georgia. In an engagement at Tunnel Hill, Georgia, on March 3, 1864, the company lost one man wounded. The November 2 muster for September-October 1863 reports the company and regiment near Chattanooga, Tennessee. The July 18, 1864 muster for May-June 1864 shows they were located on the Chattahoochee River in Georgia, and on August 31, 1864 the company and regiment were in the field near Atlanta.

John E. Snodgrass, Captain
William J. Snodgrass, 2nd Lieutenant
James Clark, 1st Lieutenant/Captain
Cornelius Vanderpool, 2nd Lieutenant
William P. Wallace, 1st Lieutenant
James H. McCall, 3rd Lieutenant/2nd Lieutenant
William L. McChesney, 1st Lieutenant
David C. Owens, 3rd Lieutenant/2nd Lieutenant/1st Lieutenant

Company G, (Captain Litrell Hickerson Hampton's Company) was organized May 15, 1862 at Camp Jackson, Wytheville, from mostly Grayson and a few Carroll County residents. Many of the original members of this company from Carroll County transferred to Co. I(2) when that company was formed January 17, 1863. At the same time 36 members of Co. C, also from Grayson Co., transferred to Co. G. The company was at Abingdon May 27, 1862, and at Saltville, July 3, 1863 when muster rolls were taken. At Chickamauga the company lost one officer killed, three privates killed and one officer was wounded. First Lieutenant A. S. Collins was in command just after the battle. The company was at Stony Face on February 25, 1864. Company G lost four killed in action and one captured on June 24, 1864 at Mt. Zion Church (also known as Kolb's Farm).

Litrell H. Hampton, Captain
Hamp. P. Wilson, 2nd Lieutenant
Alexander S. Collins, 1st Lieutenant
Ephraim Hampton, 2nd Lieutenant
Giles Martin, 1st Lieutenant
John Higgins, 2nd Lieutenant
Thomas B. Hampton, 2nd Lieutenant/Captain
Alexander Anderson, 3rd Lieutenant

Company H, (Captain G. W. B. Keesling's Company) was organized May 15, 1862 at Camp Jackson, mainly from Wythe County, Virginia residents, with a few men from Smyth County thrown in for good measure. Muster rolls for this company are consistent with others in the regiment, but reveal no special details of the company's or regiment's activities.

George W. B. Keesling, Captain
Joseph Wassum, 2nd Lieutenant
J. R. Wisely, 1st Lieutenant
William L. Huddle, 3rd Lieutenant
Sylvester Phillippe, 2nd Lieutenant/1st Lieutenant/Captain
William Painter, 3rd Lieutenant/Captain

Company I(1st), (Captain David C. Dunn's Company also known as the Floyd Blues) was organized July 5, 1861 as Co. G (1st), 50th Virginia Infantry. The company was reorganized April 1, 1862 at Abingdon, Virginia and transferred to the 63rd. Part of the company were holdovers and part were recruits. The company was disbanded about January 1863 when some transferred to other companies. Captain David C. Dunn, company commander and enlistment officer was elected Lieutenant Colonel on May 10, 1863. The second commander, James R. Deadmore resigned September 5, 1862 per his service record. David Dunn was actively recruiting a Battalion, which he was to command, but plans changed and his units were incorporated into the 63rd.

David C. Dunn, Captain/Lieutenant Colonel
F. H. McCormack, 2nd Lieutenant
James R. Deadmore, Captain
Robert Wohlford, 2nd Lieutenant
James Carroll, 1st Lieutenant

Company I(2nd), (Captain Giles S. Martin's Co.), was organized January 17, 1863, from 77 men who transferred from Co. G, 63rd. This company was made up of men from Carroll County, Virginia. The company was fortunate in being ordnance train guards at the Battle of Chickamauga. They were supplemented by several men recruited in Carroll County in August 1863, several of which were veterans of other Confederate military organizations. The most complete of the post-war rosters exist for this company.

Giles S. Martin, Captain
Walter C. Carter, 2nd Lieutenant
Webb, Isaac, 1st Lieutenant
Samuel Robinson, 2nd Lieutenant
Alexander Anderson, 3rd Lieutenant & Regimental Adjutant

Company K, (Captain John C. Killinger's Co.), was organized April 1, 1862, mainly of men from Smyth County. Officers who made out muster rolls for this company did not note any special activities for this company. Special orders 149 ordered this company transferred from the 63rd to Major Wharton's Battalion Virginia Volunteers on June 28, 1862. This order was never implemented. This company was slated for replacement by Captain A. J. Porterfield's Company. The latter company, which had enlisted on April 18, 1862, became Company H 2nd of the 36th Virginia Infantry.

John C. Killinger, Captain
James W. Sheffy, 2nd Lieutenant
John F. Oury, 1st Lieutenant/Captain
John W. Williams, 2nd Lieutenant
David D. Hull, 2nd Lieutenant/Captain
Sam Cole, 3rd Lieutenant/2nd Lieutenant/1st Lieutenant
James M. Anderson, 2nd Lieutenant

Previous Page