Field & Staff
Originally organized on August 9, 1864, the battalion was originally composed of four companies and formed as the 1st Battalion Valley Reserves. However, as it became officially recognized on February 27, 1865, the Battalion was redesignated as the 8th Battalion Virginia Reserves. When the battalion had been temporarily broken up in the latter part of 1864, elements of the battalion served in the 3rd (Chrisman's) Battalion Virginia Reserves. Page County's company - Company B - was known as the "Page Reserves" and had been originally enlisted on May 24, 1864 under command of Captain W.A.J. Miller, however, with Miller's raise to major, Captain J. William Modesitt retained the command to the end of the war.