General Burnside was assigned to the command of the Department of the Ohio in the spring of 1863, his district including Kentucky and East Tennessee. The Ninth Corps left Virginia at this time and was assigned to his command; but, having planned an active campaign in East Tennessee, and needing additional troops, he organized the Twenty-third Corps from the regiments then stationed in Kentucky.
This new corps was formed April 27, 1863, with Major-General George L. Hartsuff in command. Generals Julius White and Milo S. Hascall were assigned to division commands.
The proposed campaign in East Tennessee was postponed, as the Ninth Corps was ordered to Vicksburg, to reinforce Grant's army; but in August, the Ninth Corps returned to Kentucky, and the advance of the Twenty-third commenced. The Second Division (White's) made its rendezvous at New Market, from whence it marched on the 19th, arriving at Loudon, Tenn., on the 4th of September. General Longstreet's Corps had been detached from Lee's Army, and, in October, 1863, marched into East Tennessee to drive out Burnside's Army of the Ohio, as the united forces of the Ninth and Twenty-third Corps were then designated. The fighting was continuous, minor engagements occurring almost daily, and on November l6th a spirited battle occurred at Campbell's Station, in which White's Division was actively engaged. Burnside moved next to Knoxville, which place was invested and finally assaulted by Longstreet, but without success. At Campbell's Station, and at Knoxville, the corps was commanded by General Mahlon D. Manson.
In August, 1863, Mahan's Brigade of Indiana troops was assigned to the Third Division. These regiments were recruited for six months' service only, and returned to Indiana in February, 1864. They served in East Tennessee, and were present at Blue Springs and Walker's Ford.
On the 4th of April, 1864, Major-General John M. Schofield was assigned to the corps, and he commanded it during the Atlanta campaign, which was the most eventful period of its existence. In the spring of 1864, Hovey's Division of Indiana troops, newly recruited, joined the corps at Charleston, Tenn., and was designated as the First Division. The Second Division was commanded by General Henry M. Judah, and the Third Division by General Jacob D. Cox, with which organization it started on the Atlanta campaign. But on June 6, 1864, the First Division was broken up and divided between the other two divisions. While on the Atlanta campaign, General Judah was succeeded by General Hascall in the command of the Second Division. The greatest loss of the corps during that campaign was sustained May 14, 1862, at the battle of Resaca. It also encountered some hard fighting near Kennesaw and at Utoy Creek.
After the fall of Atlanta, and while Sherman's Army was wending its way to the Sea, the Twenty-third Corps joined Thomas' Army in the Tennessee campaign against Hood. The corps was still under the command of General Schofield, while the two divisions, Second and Third, were commanded, respectively, by Generals Ruger and Cox. These two divisions contained 30 regiments of infantry and 4 batteries of light artillery. Their returns for October 31, 1864,--just before starting on the Tennessee campaign--show 10,624 officers and men present for duty. The corps was actively engaged at the battle of Franklin, but at Nashville it was largely held in reserve. In the latter action, Ruger's (2d) Division was commanded by Major-General Darius N. Couch.
In January, 1865, the corps moved from Nashville, via Washington, to North Carolina, Cox's Division landing at Fort Fisher, February 9, 1865. Moving up the river, the corps fought at Fort Anderson, and at Wilmington, February 21st, capturing the latter place. In the meantime, another division was formed, and designated as the First Division, with General Ruger in command. This division was actively engaged in the victory at Kinston, N. C. (Wise's Forks), which resulted in the occupation of Goldsboro. General Cox succeeded Schofield, the latter having been promoted to the command of the Army of the Ohio, which, since the arrival of the Twenty-third Corps in North Carolina, comprised two corps--the Tenth (Terry's) and Twenty-third. On the 10th of April, 1865, the Twenty-third Corps numbered 14,293 present for duty, and was composed of three divisions --Ruger's, Couch's, and Carter's. It remained in North Carolina while Sherman's Army, with which it had made a junction at Goldsboro, marched northward to Washington. The corps was discontinued on August 1, 1865, many of the regiments having been mustered out before that.
|Lenoir||Blue Springs||Campbell's Station|
|Walker's Ford||Strawberry Plains||Rocky Face Ridge|
|Pine Mountain||Lost Mountain||Culp's Farm|
|Siege Of Atlanta||Utoy Creek||Lovejoy's Station|
|Nashville||Fort Anderson, N. C.||Town Creek|