1st Regiment Heavy Artillery


Field & Staff---NCO Staff--Band













Organized at Washington, D.C., from 4th Conn. Infantry, January 2, 1862. Attached to Military District of Washington to April, 1862. Siege artillery, Army Potomac, to May, 1862. 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 5th Army Corps, Army Potomac, to July, 1862. Siege artillery, Army Potomac, to August, 1862. Artillery defenses Alexandria Military District of Washington, to February, 1863. Artillery defenses of Alexandria, 22nd Army Corps, to April, 1863. 2nd Brigade, DeRussy's Division, defenses south of the Potomac, 22nd Army Corps, to May, 1863. 3rd Brigade, DeRussy's Division, 22nd Corps, to December, 1863. 2nd Brigade, DeRussy's Division, 22nd Army Corps, to March, 1864. 4th Brigade, DeRussy's Division, 22nd Army Corps, to May, 1864. (Cos. "B" and "M" attached to Artillery Reserve, Army Potomac, October, 1862, to January, 1864.) Point of Rocks, Va., Dept., of Virginia and North Carolina to June, 1864. Siege artillery, Dept. of Virginia and North Carolina in the field, and siege artillery, Army Potomac, to May, 1865. Siege artillery, Dept. of Virginia, to July, 1865. 4th Brigade, DeRussy's Division, 22nd Army Corps, Dept. of Washington, to August, 1865. 3rd Brigade, Dept. of Washington, to September, 1865.


SERVICE.--Duty at Fort Richardson, defenses of Washington, D.C., until April, 1862. Ordered to the Peninsula, Va., in charge of siege train Army Potomac, April 2. Siege of Yorktown April 12-May 4. Battle of Hanover C. H. May 27. Operations about Hanover C. H. May 27-29. Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1. Gaines' Mill June 27. Malvern Hill July 1. At Harrison's Landing until August 15. Moved to Alexandria, Va., August 16-27. Duty in the defenses of Washington, D.C., until May, 1864, as garrison at Fort Richardson. Cos. "B" and "M" detached with Army Potomac, participating in battle of Fredericksburg, Va., Dec. 12-15. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5. Stafford Heights June 12. Battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 1-3. Bristoe Campaign October 9-22. Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8. Brandy Station November 8. Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2. Rejoined regiment in defenses of Washington January, 1864. Regiment ordered to Bermuda Hundred, Va., May 13, 1864. Engaged in fatigue duty and as garrison for batteries and forts on the Bermuda front and lines before Petersburg during siege operations against Petersburg and Richmond, May, 1864, to April, 1865. Occupy Fort Converse, Redoubt Dutton, Batteries Spofford, Anderson, Pruyn and Perry on the Bermuda front, and Forts Rice, Morton, Sedgwick and McGilvrey, and Batteries 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 17, 18, 20, Burpee, Drake and Sawyer, on the Petersburg front, and at Dutch Gap, north of the James River. Assaults on Fort Dutton June 2 and 21, 1864 (Co. "L"). Attacks on the lines May 18, 19, 20, 21, 25, 27, 30, 31, June 1, 2, 5, 9, 18, 20 and 23. Mine explosion July 30, August 25, November 17, 18 and 28, 1864. Repulse of rebel fleet at Fort Brady on James River January 23-24, 1865. Expedition to Fort Fisher, N. C., January 3-15, 1865 (Cos. "B," "G," "L"). Capture of Fort Fisher January 15 (Cos. "B," "G," "L"). Assaults on and fall of Petersburg, Va., April 2, 1865. Duty in the Dept. of Va. until July 11. Moved to Washington, D.C., and duty in the defenses of that city until September. Mustered out September 25, 1865.

Regiment lost during service 2 Officers and 49 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 4 Officers and 172 Enlisted men by disease. Total 227.

The First Regiment Connecticut Heavy Artillery was organized as the Fourth Regiment Infantry, Colonel Levi Woodhouse commanding, in the Spring of 1861, and left for the seat of war June 10th, 1861. It served as an Infantry regiment until January 2d, 1862, when, by special orders from the War Department, the regiment was changed to Heavy Artillery, to consist of twelve (12) companies of one hundred and fifty (150) men each.

The regiment was temporarily stationed in the fortifications about Washington, but upon the commencement of the Peninsula campaign, the regiment, under the command of Colonel Robert 0. Tyler, accompanied the army with a siege train of seventy-one pieces of artillery.

It took a prominent part in the siege of Yorktown, and in the series of engagements at Hanover Court House, Games Mills, Malvern Hill, Chickahominy, and Golden Hills.

The services and gallantry of the regiment were recognized by an order directing the names "Siege of Yorktown, Hanover Court House, Chickahominy, Gaines Mills, and Malvern," to be emblazoned on its colors.

The high character of the regiment had been so well sustained, that it was ranked, by competent military judges, as the best volunteer regiment of heavy artillery in the field, and was considered a model worthy of imitation.

Among the reasons mentioned for its superiority, were the material in physique and intelligence, and its thorough drill and excellent discipline, acquired under the command of Col. Tyler, one of the most efficient and tough disciplinarians in the army. This regiment has furnished to other organizations the following named officers, who have served with distinction in the field, Lieut. Col. Perkins, Major Clai k, and Capt. E. W. Gibbons of the 14th, Major Washburn and Capt. Mix of the 16th, Lieut. Col. Kellogg and Capt. Ellis of the 19th regiment (2d Connecticut Artillery.)

On the 19th of November, 1862, Col. Tyler was promoted to be Brigadier General, and Capt. Henry L. Abbott of the United States Topographical Engineers was appointed to the command.

On the withdrawal of the army from the Peninsula, the regiment was ordered to the forts at Washington, with the exception of two companies, which remained with the army of the Rappahannock, and participated in the bombardment of Fredericksburg.

On the 10th of May, 1864, the regiment under Col. Abbott was ordered to report in advance of their siege trains, to Major General Butler, then near Bermuda Hundred, Va., where they arrived May 13th, about 1700 strong, but 349 men were discharged in ten days thereafter, on account of the expiration of their term of service ; the regiment was, however, soon recruited to the maximum. During its service in this campaign several companies from other organizations were attached to it. June 28th, companies A and H of the 13th New York Artillery, commanded by Capt. William Pendrell, were so attached by command of General Butler, and they were placed in the lines of Bermuda Hundred.

Ten companies of the Fourth New York. Artillery, Lieut. Col. Allock commanding aggregate 1072 men, were added by command of General Hunt, July 14th, and were detached August 4th.

The Third Connecticut Independent Battery was temporarily attached to the regiment on the 15th day of November, by special orders of the War Department.

In January, 1865, a portion of the regiment accompanied the siege train commanded by Col. Abbott, whose destination eventually proved to be Fort Fisher. On the 15th of January, Fort Fisher having been carried by assault, the train was returned to the old lines.

With a regiment so widely scattered as was this, unusually responsible duties devolved upon subordinate officers, all of whom are highly spoken of by Col. Abbott, who at the same time compliments the enlisted men for the satisfactory and laudable manner in which they seconded the efforts of their officers. Major General W. T. Smith, in a letter to Colonel Abbott, writes, "I saw much of the service of the First Connecticut Artillery, and was delighted with the skill and gallantry of the officers and men. During the time I commanded the 18th Army Corps before Petersburg, I called heavily upon you for siege guns and mortars, and never before during the war have I witnessed such artillery practice as I saw with your regiment; the practicability of holding my position there after the 1st of June was due in a great measure to the skill displayed by your regiment."

The regiment continued to serve with the Army of the Potomac and the Army of the James, until the evacuation of Petersburg and Richmond by the rebel forces in April, 1865. In July, 1865, the regiment returned to Washington, and on the 25th of September, 1865 was mustered out, after having been in the service of the United States four years and four months.

The regiment has taken part in the following


Siege of Torktown, Va., from April 30th to May 4th, 1862.
Hanover Court House, Va., May 27th, 1862.
Gaines Mills, Va., from May 31st to June 20th, 1862.
Chickahominy, Va., June 25th, 1862.
Golden Hill, Va., June 27th, 1862.
Malvern Hill, Va., July 1st, 1862.
Siege of Fredericksburg, Va., from December 11th to December 15th, 1862, (Batteries B and M.)
Before Fredericksburg, Va., from April 28th to May
6th, 1863, (Battery M.)
Before Fredericksburg, Va., from June 5th to June 13th, 1863, (Battery M.)
Kdley's Ford, Va., (Battery M,) November 7th, 1863.
Orange Court House, Va., (Battery B,) November 30th, 1864.
Siege of Petersburg and Richmond, Va., from May, 1864, to April, 1865, (eleven months of active operations.)
Fort Fisher, N. C., January 14th and 15th, 1865.

Since its organization it has met with the following


Killed in action, - 26
Died of wounds, - - - 23
Died of disease, - 161
Discharged prior to muster-out of regiment, - - 1071

Total: 1281

Previous Page

Reference: Connecticut Volunteer Organizations, (Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery) in the Service of the United States 1861-1865, with additional enlistments, casualties, etc, etc, and Brief Summaries, Showing the operations and service of the several regiments and batteries. Prepared from records in the Adjutant-General's Office.

C. M. INGERSOL, Adjutant-general.
HARTFORD: Brown and Gross, 1869