3rd Battery Light Artillery


The 3d Connecticut Independent Battery was organized in October, 1864, at Conscript Camp, Fair Haven, for one year's service, and on the 16th of November, in pursuance of Special Order, No. 126 from Head-Quarters Volunteer Recruiting Service of Connecticut, left the State under command of Capt. Thomas S. Gilbert ; arriving at Broadway Landing, Va., on the 19th of November, 1864.

Capt. Gilbert reported with his command to Brevet Brigadier-General H. L. Abbott, Colonel 1st Connecticut Artillery, receiving from him instructions to disembark the Battery at City Point, Va., on the evening of the 19th, and encamp near the line of defences.

On the 26th of November the battery occupied Redoubts No.'s 2, 5, 7 and 8 of the City Point line of Artillery Defences.

During the attempt of the Rebel Iron Clads to force a passage by the batteries and obstructions in the James River, a section of the battery with 4 inch Siege Guns, was stationed in front of the Head Quarters of Lieut. General Grant, covering the wharves andstore-houses.

On the 29th of January, 1865, the whole battery was again returned to the Redoubts.

At the time of the grand advance of the Army upon the rebel lines, all the Infantry and Engineer troops were ordered forward, leaving the line wholly dependent upon the Artillery; and the men of Gapt. Gilbert s command remained at their guns day and night, ready for action.

Although they were not called upon during the memorable days between the fall of Petersburg and the surrender of General Lee, yet had the opportunity offered, the officers and men of the 3d Connecticut Independent Battery would have sustained the reputation, always awarded to the brave soldiers of Connecticut, on nearly every battle field of the Republic.

After the surrender of the Rebel Army, the battery was constantly employed in the dismantling of fortifications and the removal of ordnance and ordnance-stores from the rebel fortifications encircling Richmond, north of the James.

On the 20th of June, Capt. Gilbert was ordered by the Commissary of Musters Department of Virginia to prepare Muster-out Rolls of all the enlisted men of his battery whose term of service expired prior to October 1st, 1865 ; these rolls embraced ninety-three (93) names, and was furnished on the 23d. The battery was mustered out (with the exception of twenty-seven (27) men, who were transferred to the First Connecticut Artillery, in accordance with instructions from the War Department) and proceeded to New Haven, Connecticut, where the officers and men were paid off, and on the 3d of July, 1865, the battery was disbanded.

SERVICE.--Duty in the defenses of City Point, Va. Occupying redoubts 2, 5, 7 and 8 until June, 1865. Repulse of attack on City Point by rebel ironclads January 24-25. Mustered out June 23, 1865.

Battery lost during service 4 Enlisted men killed and 1 Enlisted man by disease. Total 5.

Previous Page

Reference: Connecticut Volunteer Organizations, (Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery) in the Service of the United States 1861-1865, with additional enlistments, casualties, etc, etc, and Brief Summaries, Showing the operations and service of the several regiments and batteries. Prepared from records in the Adjutant-General's Office.

C. M. INGERSOL, Adjutant-general.
HARTFORD: Brown and Gross, 1869