23rd Regiment Infantry


Field & Staff---NCO Staff











Organized at New Haven November 14, 1862. Left State for East New York November 17, thence sailed for Ship Island, Miss., and-New Orleans, La., November 29, arriving there December 17. (Part of Regiment did not reach New Orleans until January 16, 1863, having been stranded on Bahama Islands.) Attached to Defenses of New Orleans and District of La Fourche, Dept. of the Gulf.

SERVICE.--Duty at Camp Parapet, Defenses of New Orleans, until January 11, 1863. Moved to Algiers January 11, thence to Berwick Bay. Provost duty at Brashear City until February 9. Duty along Opelousas R. R. from Berwick Bay to Jefferson, Headquarters at La Fourche, until June, at following points: Company "D" at Jefferson, Company "G" at St. Charles, Company "F" at Boutte Station, Company "C" at Bayou Des Allemands, Company "H" at Raceland, Company "B" at La Fourche until April 1, then at Napoleonville, Terre Bonne; Company "K" at Tigersville, Company "A" at Bayou Boeuf until March 1, thence moved to Bayou Des Allemands and to Labadieville April 1; Company "E" at Bayou Romans until March 1, Companies "E" and "I" at La Fourche March 1. Duty at these points until June. Company "A" moved to Bayou Boeuf June 16, and Companies "B" and "E" to La Fourche. Other Companies to Brashear City. Action at Berwick June 1 (Cos. "C," "I," "G" and "K"). Regiment moved to La Fourche Crossing June 16. Action at La Fourche Crossing June 20-21. Bayou Boeuf June 22-23. Brashear City June 23. Companies "A," "C" and "H" captured June 23; paroled June 26. Regiment on guard duty in lowlands of Louisiana until August. Mustered out August 31, 1863.

Regiment lost during service 1 Officer and 10 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 2 Officers and 46 Enlisted men by disease. Total 59.

Previous Page

The Twenty-third Regiment Connecticut Volunteers was organized in September, 1862, was recruited in New Haven and Fairfield Counties, and rendezvoused at Camp Terry, New Haven. Several companies volunteered from the State Militia. The regiment was assigned to General Banks expedition. It received marching orders November 16th, 1862 and proceeded to Camp Buckingham, L. L, where it remained until the following month, when it embarked on board transports for New Orleans.

The regiment was for the most of the time engaged in guarding the New Orleans and Opelousas Railroad, which connects Algiers and Brashear City.

On the 2d of June, while the greater part of General Banks army was before Port Hudson, the rebels made an attack upon the line of the road, and were successful in either capturing or destroying a large amount of public property stored at Brashear City. A number of the officers of the regiment who were in hospital and on duty at that place were captured.

The regiment bore an honorable part in repelling several attacks of the enemy upon the line of the road, but no official report of engagements were received by the Adjutant- General, consequently it is impracticable to give the history in detail.

The regiment numbered originally eight hundred and forty-eight (848) officers and men.

It returned North on the expiration of its term of service, and was mustered-out of service at New Haven, on the 31st day of August, 1863.

The following were its CASUALTIES.

Killed, - 3
Died of wounds, - 4
Died of disease, 44
Discharged prior to muster-out of regiment, - - 21


Reference: Connecticut Volunteer Organizations, (Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery) in the Service of the United States 1861-1865, with additional enlistments, casualties, etc, etc, and Brief Summaries, Showing the operations and service of the several regiments and batteries. Prepared from records in the Adjutant-General's Office.

C. M. INGERSOL, Adjutant-general.
HARTFORD: Brown and Gross, 1869