30th Regiment Infantry


Organized at Fair Haven (4 Cos.) March, 1864. Moved to Annapolis, Md. Consolidated with 31st U.S. C. T. May 18, 1864. (See that Regiment.)

Previous Page

The Thirtieth Regiment (colored) was organized during the winter of 1863 and 1864, at New Haven, it having been found that more than one colored regiment could be raised in Connecticut. It was never filled to the maximum, however, and only four companies were finally organized. Those were ordered to Virginia, and on the 4th day of June, 1864, were consolidated with the 31st U. S. C. T., and the regiment was assigned to the 3d Brigade, 4th division, 9th Army Corps.

The Division was then in position in rear to prevent the enemy s cavalry from attacking its rear. It remained in that position until the 14th of the same month, when it proceeded across the Chickahominy and James rivers, and marched to the front of Petersburg. From that date until the 29th of July, it was continually moving to different positions on the line without any close engagement.

On the morning of the 30th, the regiment was in line preparatory to an assault on the enemy's works. The enemys works had been mined, and the troops, as soon as the explosion had occurred, were ordered forward under a galling cross-fire, which thinned their ranks terribly before reaching the crater. Lieut. Col. W. E. W. Ross fell seriously wounded while gallantly leading his regiment. His brave and manly conduct had won for him the love and respect of all, and his loss was deeply regretted. Major Wright, in his report of the engagement, remarks; "I cannot speak too highly of both officers and men in this engagement. More bravery and enthusiasm I never witnessed ; besides their patriotic ardor, they went into that action with a determination to command the respect of the white troops, which they knew could only be obtained by hard fighting." The regiment lost in this engagement one hundred and thirty-six (136) in killed and wounded. Subsequently it followed the movements of the array to South Side Railroad, and in October participated in a severe skirmish near Fort Sedgwick, in which it lost twenty (20) enlisted men and one (1) commissioned officer.

On the 6th of November, 1864, Col. Henry C. Ward assumed command of the regiment, which was then in camp near Poplar Grove Church, on the left flank of the Army of the Potomac. On the 18th of the same month the regiment moved to the Bermuda Hundred front, between the James and Appomattox rivers, where it relieved a brigade of one hundred day troops, and re-established the picket line which they had lost. From this time until the end of December it held the right of the Bermuda line, under a constant and worrying fire from the enemy. On the 25th of December it joined the 25th Corps in the Army of the James, near Fort Harrison.

During March, 1865, a detachment was sent for duty at the Dutch Gap Canal, but rejoined the regiment in the movements of the spring campaign. On the 27th of March it crossed the James, and on the 29th was in position at Hatcher s Kun, on the left of the Army of the Potomac. From that time until April 3d the regiment was almost constantly under fire, and took part in the operations on the south-west of Petersburg, which resulted in piercing the enemy s lines on the night of April 1st and 2d, and his consequent abandonment of Richmond and Petersburg. On the 3d commenced the pursuit of the enemy, which lasted six days, the regiment averaging sixteen hours marching in every twenty-four, and in the thirty hours ending 11 p. M. on the 8th of July, it achieved sixty (60) miles. On the morning of the 9th the enemy surrendered, and from that day the regiment was not again engaged.

On the 25th of May it embarked with its corps for Texas, and disembarked at Brazos de Santiago on the 22d of June, 1865. It was here engaged in garrison duty, and so continued until Oct. 11th, when, being ordered for muster-out, it proceeded to Hartford, and was finally discharged at that place Dec. 1st, 1865.

The regiment has taken part in the following ENGAGEMENTS.

Petersburg Mine, Va., July 30th, 1864. Loss in killed, 13 enlisted men; wounded, 1 commissioned officer, 35 enlisted men ; missing, 1 commissioned officer, 25 enlisted men. Total loss (in Connecticut companies), 75. (Total loss in regiment, 136).
Near Fort Sedgwick, Va., October, 1864.
Bermuda Front, Va., from November 18th to December 30th, 1864.
Before Petersburg, Va., from March 29th to April 2d, 1865.
Surrender of Lee, Va., April 9th, 1865.

The four companies from Connecticut have suffered the following CASUALTIES.

Killed in action, - - 15
Died of wounds, ---4
Died of disease, - - 47
Discharged prior to muster-out of regiment, --- 47
Missing at date of muster out of regiment---- 13


Reference: Connecticut Volunteer Organizations, (Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery) in the Service of the United States 1861-1865, with additional enlistments, casualties, etc, etc, and Brief Summaries, Showing the operations and service of the several regiments and batteries. Prepared from records in the Adjutant-General's Office.

C. M. INGERSOL, Adjutant-general.
HARTFORD: Brown and Gross, 1869