Charles Hale Morgan

Charles Hale Morgan, a graduate of the class of 1857 at West Point, was born at Manlius, New York, on November 6, 1834. He distinguished himself during the Civil War as chief of artillery and later chief of staff to General Winfield S. Hancock, and also by virtue of a talent for profanity exceeded only by that possessed by his chief. After leaving the Military Academy as a brevet second lieutenant of artillery, he served at Fort Monroe, Virginia, for a time and then took part in the expedition of 1859 under Albert Sidney Johnston which stilled a potential Mormon uprising against the authority of the United States. Morgan arrived in the East in December, 1861, and after some duty in the defenses of Washington, went to the Virginia Peninsula in the spring of 1862, where his battery of the 4th U. S. Artillery was attached to the artillery reserve of the army during the Seven Days battles. He was promoted to captain in the Regular Army on August 5 but was on sick leave until after the battle of Sharpsburg. On October 1 Morgan became chief of artillery of the II Corps and from then until the end of the war was closely associated with Geheral Hancock, becoming the latter's chief of staff on January 1, 1863, at which time he was appointed a staff lieutenant colonel of volunteers. He was brevetted repeatedly in both the regular and volunteer services during the war, and on May 21, 1865, was made a full brigadier general of volunteers. In the meantime he rendered yeoman's service to his chief on all the fields and during all the campaigns of the Army of the Potomac from Fredericksburg to the siege of Petersburg, after which he assisted Hancock in organizing the so-called "Veterans Reserve Corps," an organization which actually never came into being. When the war ended he was serving as chief of staff of the Middle Military Division commanded by Hancock. He was mustered out of the volunteer service on January 15, 1866, and reverted to his regular rank of captain, 4th Artillery, but was promoted major on February 5, 1867. Postbellum he had duty at a number of artillery garrisons: Fort Delaware, Fort Monroe, and Alcatraz Island in San Francisco Bay.  He died at the latter post December 20, 1875, and was buried in the military cemetery on nearby Angel Island. In 1947 his remains were removed to Golden Gate National Cemetery at San Bruno, California.

Previous Page

Reference: Generals in Blue. Lives of the Union Commanders by Ezra J. Warner. Louisiana State University Press. Baton Rouge.