Charles Jackson Paine

Charles Jackson Paine, great-grandson of a signer of the Declaration of Independence, was born August 26, 1833, in Boston. His early career was in the tradition of a New England scion of means: a primary education obtained at the Boston Latin School, graduation from Harvard in 1853, the study of law in the office of the eminent Rufus Choate, admission to the bar, and extensive travel abroad. From 1858 until 1861 he practiced his profession in Boston; in September, 1861, he recruited a company of the 22nd Massachusetts Infantry with which he was mustered into service as captain on October 5, 1861. The regiment trained in the defenses of Washington that winter, and in January Paine served as major of the 30th Massachusetts for a couple of months until he was mustered out in March. For the next two years he was in the Department of the Gulf and became colonel of the 2nd Louisiana, a Negro regiment recruited in New Orleans, on October 23, 1862. The following spring he fought most creditably at Port Hudson under the command of General N. P. Banks and led one of the assaults on the place. By the end of May, 1863, he was directing a brigade of the XIX Corps, and in November he assumed charge of a cavalry brigade in A. L. Lee's division. On March 8, 1864, Paine resigned his colonel's commission to accept a position on the staff of General Benjamin F. Butler, who secured his appointment as brigadier general of volunteers to rank from July 4, 1864. Paine took part in the attack on Drewry's Bluff; commanded a Negro division at New Market in September; was with Butler in his abortive attack on Fort Fisher; and served with W. T. Sherman in North Carolina as commander of the 3rd Division (Negro troops) of Terry's X Corps and later of the District of New Bern. He returned to civilian life with the brevet promotion of major general in 1866. Thereafter, he was an important, if unheralded, power in the development of the United States railroad network: he was a director of the Santa Fe, the Burlington, and the Mexican Central railroads. In 1897 he was one of a three-member commission appointed by President McKinley to secure the international remonetization of silver. From the seventies until his death he was prominent in yachting circles, taking part on several occasions in defending the "America's Cup" and twice assuming the entire cost of the United States entries. He died in Weston, Massachusetts, August 12, 1916, and was buried in Mt. Auburn Cemetery, Cambridge.

Previous Page

Reference: Generals in Blue. Lives of the Union Commanders by Ezra J. Warner. Louisiana State University Press. Baton Rouge.