Charles Pomeroy Stone

Charles Pomeroy Stone, descendant of Puritan ancestors who had fought in every war in which the American people had been engaged, was born on September 30, 1824, in Greenfield, Massachusetts. He was graduated from West Point in 1845 and served as an ordnance officer with Winfield Scott's army, winning the brevets of first lieutenant and captain in Mexico. Prior to his resignation from the service in 1856 he spent five years as chief of ordnance of the Pacific department, locating sites for forts and arsenals. He was then employed by the Mexican government on a survey of the state of Sonora. Early in 1861 Stone, under orders from Scott, served as inspector general of the District of Columbia militia and secured the safety of the capital and of the President-elect, President Lincoln coming to trust him implicitly. Stone was appointed colonel of the 14th Regular Infantry on May 14, 1861, and brigadier general of volunteers on August 6 to rank from May 17, standing eighth in seniority of all those appointed. After command of a brigade of Robert Patterson's Army of the Shenandoah during the ill-fated campaign of First Bull Run, Stone was assigned to the command of a division of three brigades, a "corps of observation" on the Upper Potomac. At this juncture, through the rashness of a subordinate, Colonel (and Senator) Edward D. Baker, who was killed in the action, Stone was made to bear the burden of the Union disaster at Ball's Bluff. The Radicals in Congress, who already believed Stone "unsound" on the question of slavery, demanded his removal. On February 8, 1862, at midnight, without charges being then or ever preferred, Stone was arrested and subsequently confined for 189 days in Forts Lafayette and Hamilton. He was grudgingly released on August 6 without reparation or even acknowledgment of error. In 1863, after nine months of unemployment, he was assigned to the Department of the Gulf at the request of General N. P. Banks and served with gallantry at Port Hudson and in the Red River campaign. On April 4, 1864, Secretary of War Stanton caused him to be mustered out of his volunteer commission (as brigadier general), and, as a colonel of the Regular Army, he was again without employment. He finally resigned on September 13, 1864. After the war he served thirteen years as chief of staff of the Army of the Khedive of Egypt, where he was greatly distinguished. Later he was engineer for the foundations of the Statue of Liberty. He died in New York City, on January 24, 1887, and was buried at West Point.

Previous Page

Reference: Generals in Blue. Lives of the Union Commanders by Ezra J. Warner. Louisiana State University Press. Baton Rouge.