Cilman Marston

Cilman Marston was born August 20, 1811, at Orford, New Hampshire, on the Connecticut River. Brought up on his father's farm, he taught school in order to finance his college education at Dartmouth. After he was graduated in 1837, he served for a time as head of a preparatory school in Indianapolis; he was graduated from Harvard Law School in 1840, was admitted to the bar the following year, and began practice in Exeter, New Hampshire. In the years from 1845 to 1889 Marston was elected to the state legislature thirteen times; to the state constitutional conventions of 1850 and 1876; to Congress three times, serving from 1859 to 1863 and from 1865 to 1867; declined an appointment as governor of the Idaho Territory in 1870; and was appointed to the U. S. Senate for four months in 1889. In May and June, 1861, Marston recruited the 2nd New Hampshire which he led at First Bull Run (Manassas) in Burnside's brigade of Hunter's division. During the Peninsular campaign his regiment was a part of Grover's brigade of Hooker's division and at Fredericksburg was assigned to J. B. Carr's brigade of Sickles' division. In the interval he was on leave, commanded at Centreville on the line of the Orange 8c Alexandria Railroad, and was promoted brigadier general on November 29, 1862. Prior to the campaign of Chancellorsville he was relieved from duty with the Army of the Potomac and ordered to Washington for assignment by General Samuel P. Heintzelman who was commanding that department. After Gettysburg Marston was directed to establish a prison camp in Mlaryland; this camp became the well-known Point Lookout pen. The area was subsequently designated as the District of Saint Mary's under the general command of General Benjamin F. Butler. In the spring of 1864, just prior to Grant's Overland campaign against Richmond, Marston was assigned to a brigade of "Baldy" Smith's XVIII Corps with which he was involved in the disastrous attack on Robert E. Lee's intrenched lines at Cold Harbor in June, 1864a movement which left seven thousand Federals dead and dying at small cost to the Confederates. Soon thereafter he was assigned to duty in eastern Virginia, and after having received the thanks of the New Hampshire Legislature, he discharged routine duty until his resignation, "to take effect April 20, 1865." He died July 3, 1890, and was buried in Exeter, New Hampshire.

Previous Page

Reference: Generals in Blue. Lives of the Union Commanders by Ezra J. Warner. Louisiana State University Press. Baton Rouge.