Cuvier Grover

Cuvier Grover was born in Bethel, Maine, July 29, 1828, a younger brother of Governor and Senator La Fayette Grover of Oregon. Young Grover was prepared for college at the age of fifteen, but too young to enter West Point, he engaged in business in Boston for two years. In 1850 he was graduated fourth in his class from the Military Academy. His most important antebellum duty was in connection with the Northern Pacific Railroad exploration in 1853-54; he also served in the Mormon expedition and in frontier garrison duty. At the outbreak of the Civil War he was a captain of the 10th Infantry, stationed at Fort Union, New Mexico. On leave of absence from November, 1861, until April, 1862, he was appointed a brigadier general of volunteers to rank from April 14, 1862. He won two brevets in the Regular Army for his conduct during the Peninsular campaign, where he led the 1st Brigade of Hooker's 2nd Division, Heintzelman's III Corps. Grover's brigade was then transferred to John Pope's Army of Virginia and with it engaged in the ill-fated campaign of Second Manassas, sustaining 486 casualties, mainly at Groveton in the assault on Stonewall Jackson's position behind the railroad embankment. Grover was then transferred to the Department of the Gulf, where he took charge of the 4th Division of N. P. Banks's XIX Corps. In this theater he commanded the right wing of Banks's forces at the siege of Port Hudson and was again moved, along with the corps, now under William H. Emory, to the seat of war in Virginia. For gallant services at Winchester and Fisher's Hill, Grover was brevetted major general of volunteers and for his conduct at Cedar Creek (where he was wounded) was awarded the brevet of brigadier general, U. S. Army. At the end of the war he was in command of the District of Savannah, Georgia, having won the brevet of major general, U. S. Army. He was appointed lieutenant colonel of the 38th Infantry, a Negro regiment, upon the reorganization of the army in 1866; was unassigned in 1869; and, subsequently, became colonel of the 1st Cavalry. In 1885 he went to Atlantic City in an effort to improve his health, but died there on June 6. He was buried at West Point.

Previous Page

Reference: Generals in Blue. Lives of the Union Commanders by Ezra J. Warner. Louisiana State University Press. Baton Rouge.