Edward Winslow Hincks

Edward Winslow Hincks was born on May 30, 1830, in Bucksport, Maine, where he received a common-school education. He moved to Bangor in 1845 and became a printer for the Whig & Courier. In 1849 he removed to Boston and by 1855 was a member of the Massachusetts legislature. Probably at the instance of Benjamin F. Butler, under whom Hincks subsequently served, he was appointed a second lieutenant in the Regular Army at the same time he was serving as lieutenant colonel and colonel of a ninety-day regiment of Massachusetts militia. Resigning the former and mustered out of the latter, on August 3, 1861, he became colonel of the 19th Massachusetts Infantry, one of the regiments involved in the Ball's Bluff disaster in October. During George B. McClellan's Peninsular campaign, Hincks was wounded at the battle of Glendale and was warmly commended by both his brigade commander William W. Burns and division commander John Sedgwick. In the course of the Maryland campaign he was twice badly wounded at Sharpsburg. The following April he was promoted to brigadier general to rank from November 29, 1862, while convalescing from wounds; he then served on court-martial and recruiting duty until March, 1864, when he commanded the prison camp at Camp Lookout, Maryland, for two months. Thereafter, he commanded a Negro division of the XVIII Corps in the Petersburg offensive until July, 1864. From that time until the end of the war General Hincks again performed duties connected with draft and recruitment, resigning his volunteer commission on June 30, 1865. Upon the reorganization of the Regular Army in July, 1866, he was commissioned lieutenant colonel of the 40th Infantry. Three years later he transferred to the 25th Infantry and the following year, upon the contraction of the officer list, was retired with rank of colonel. Meantime, he had received the brevets of major general in the volunteer service and brigadier general in the Regular Army. After retirement General Hincks was governor of the National Home for Disabled Volunteers at Hampton, Virginia, until 1873, when he transferred to the same post at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, serving until 1880. He died in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on February 14, 1894, and was buried in Mount Auburn Cemetery.

Previous Page

Reference: Generals in Blue. Lives of the Union Commanders by Ezra J. Warner. Louisiana State University Press. Baton Rouge.