George Jerrison Stannard

George Jerrison Stannard was born October 20, 1820, in Georgia, Vermont. Between the ages of fifteen and twenty he worked on his father's farm in summer and taught in the neighborhood school during the winter. In 1845 he became a clerk in a St. Albans foundry and by 1860 had become a partner in the firm. Meantime he had taken an interest in militia affairs and, when the Civil War came, was colonel of the 4th Regiment. His first duty was in recruiting and organizing volunteers for the field, but in June, 1861, he became lieutenant colonel of the 2nd Vermont and in July, 1862, colonel of the 9th Vermont. He was advanced to brigadier general on March 11, 1863, and was brevetted major general on October 28, 1864, for his gallant part in the attack on Fort Harrison on the outer line of the Richmond defenses, an exploit which cost him his right arm (his fourth wound of the war) and terminated his active service. Meanwhile he had fought at First Manassas, on the Peninsula, and in covering the retreat of John Pope's men from the battlefield of Second Manassas. During the Maryland campaign he and his regiment were surrendered to Stonewall Jackson as a part of the garrison of Harpers Ferry. After he was exchanged, Stannard was given command of the 2nd Vermont brigade with which he fought in Doubleday's division of the I Corps at Gettysburg, where he was badly wounded by the explosion of a shell. In the Richmond campaign of May and June, 1864, Stannard commanded first a brigade and then a division of the XVIII Corps, Army of the James, which was attached to the Army of the Potomac in the movement against Petersburg. He received his second wound at Cold Harbor and his third while leading the advance on the Petersburg fortifications. After he had partially recovered from the loss of his arm in the Fort Harrison encounter, he was assigned to duty on the Vermont border and continued to serve in the Department of the East until the close of the war. In February, 1866, he was on duty in Baltimore in connection with the Freedmen's Bureau. Upon his resignation from the army in 1867 General Stannard was appointed collector of customs for the District of Vermont, a post which he held until 1872. From 1881 until his death in Washington on June 1, 1886, he was doorkeeper of the House of Representatives. He was buried in Lake View Cemetery, Burlington, Vermont.

Previous Page

Reference: Generals in Blue. Lives of the Union Commanders by Ezra J. Warner. Louisiana State University Press. Baton Rouge.