George Lucas Hartsuff

George Lucas Hartsuff was born on May 28, 1830, in the tiny village of Tyre, Seneca County, New York, but moved with his parents at the age of twelve to a farm in Livingston County, Michigan, where he obtained his early education and lived until his appointment to West Point in 1848. He was graduated four years later and assigned to the 4th Artillery. After some duty in Texas he served against the Florida Seminoles and in a skirmish near Fort Drane, Florida, suffering two severe wounds, one of which caused his death nineteen years later. In 1861, Hartsuff was brevetted captain in the adjutant general's department and went with the expedition which secretly reenforced Fort Pickens. During the fall and winter of 1861-62 he was chief of staff to General William S. Rosecrans in West Virginia and on April 15, 1862, was appointed brigadier general of volunteers. He fought ably in Irvin McDowell's corps during the disastrous campaign which culminated at Second Manassas. He was again severely wounded at Sharpsburg and disabled periodically for many months. Meantime, he was promoted to major general to rank from November 19, 1862. From April until November, 1863, General Hartsuff commanded the XXIII Corps but was again incapacitated by his wounds until March 13, 1865, when he took command of the Bermuda front of the works for the siege of Petersburg between the James and Appomattox rivers. After the evacuation by the Confederates he commanded the District of Nottaway, with headquarters in Petersburg. After the war General Hartsuff, who had been brevetted brigadier and major general in the Regular Army, resumed his duties in the adjutant general's department, with rank of lieutenant colonel of staff. During the next five years he served in the Department of the Gulf, in the Fifth Military District composed of Louisiana and Texas, and in the Division of the Missouri. On June 29, 1871, he was retired at the grade of major general "for disability from wounds received in battle." Less than three years later he died of pneumonia at his home in New York City; a postmortem revealed that the infection stemmed from the scar on his lung caused by his old Florida wound. He was buried at West Point.

Previous Page

Reference: Generals in Blue. Lives of the Union Commanders by Ezra J. Warner. Louisiana State University Press. Baton Rouge.