George Washington Deitzler

George Washington Deitzler was born November 30, 1826, in Pine Grove, Pennsylvania, where he obtained a rudimentary education in the common schools of the neighborhood. After a short residence in Illinois and California, Deitzler went to Lawrence, Kansas, in March, 1855. Here he became prominent as a farmer, real estate dealer, and antislavery politician. Before the admission of Kansas to the Union (January 29, 1861), Deitzler was an incessant worker for the free-state cause, serving on committees, attending meetings, and writing for newspapers and periodicals. He was sent to Boston to see Amos Lawrence and the representatives of the Emigrant Aid Society, soon returning with a shipment of Beecher's Bibles (Sharps rifles boxed up and labeled "books") to promote free-state migration. In the so-called Wakarusa War he was aide-de-camp to the commander of the free-state forces and was himself in command part of the time.  He served in the territorial legislature as speaker of the house of representatives, was later a member of the senate, and was mayor of Lawrence in 1860. At the outbreak of the Civil War he helped organize and was appointed colonel of the 1st Kansas Volunteer Infantry. He was severely wounded at the battle of Wilson's Creek that August and after partial recovery was promoted to brigadier general on April 4, 1863, to rank from November 29, 1862. He does not seem to have been on duty after February, 1863, when he was in command of a brigade of John McArthur's division of the XVII Corps at Lake Providence, Louisiana, during the Vicksburg campaign. He was on sick leave at Lawrence when he resigned on August 27, 1863. The following year, as major general in command of the Kansas militia, he opposed Confederate General Sterling Price's abortive "Missouri Expedition." After the war General Deitzler was active in promoting the townsite of Emporia and in expanding railroads in the state. In 1872 he moved to San Francisco with his family, where he resided until 1884. In the latter year he visited Tucson, Arizona (where he proposed to move). On the morning of April 11 while driving a buggy back to town from a trip to examine some water rights, his team bolted from fright after a singletree came loose, the rig overturned, and Deitzler was killed instantly. He is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery, Lawrence.

Previous Page

Reference:  Generals in Blue.  Lives of the Union Commanders by Ezra J. Warner.  Louisiana State University Press.  Baton Rouge.