Hector Tyndale

Hector Tyndale, whose full name seems to have been George Hector Tyndale according to his death certificate, was born in Philadelphia on March 24, 1821. He was the son of an Irish emigrant who had become successful as an importer of glass and china, and, reportedly, he declined an appointment to West Point at the request of his mother in order to enter his father's business. At all events, upon the death of the elder Tyndale in 1845, he and his brother-in-law became large importers of glass and ceramics; Tyndale established himself as an authority on ceramics. When the abolitionist John Brown was awaiting the scaffold at Charlestown, Virginia, Tyndale in an excess of quixotic zeal accompanied Mrs. Brown south to see her husband in his last moments and to escort his body north. The outbreak of Civil War in 1861 found him in Paris on business, but he hurried home and was commissioned major of the 28th Pennsylvania on June 28, 1861, and lieutenant colonel the following April 25. The regiment's first important action was at Front Royal, Virginia, in May, 1862, under N. P. Banks; it next took part in the battles of Cedar Mountain and Second Manassas. At the battle of Sharpsburg, Tyndale, although still a lieutenant colonel, commanded with conspicuous gallantry a brigade of the XII Corps, had three horses shot from under him, and was wounded twice. He was made a brigadier general on April 9, 1863, and returned to duty in May, but was not actively engaged until the XI and XII Corps were sent to the Western theater after the Federal reverse at Chickamauga. At the battle of Chattanooga, Tyndale commanded a brigade of Howard's XI Corps. During the following winter, he commanded the 3rd Division of the corps stationed at Shellmound, Tennessee. On May 2, 1864, just as the Atlanta campaign was about to be launched, General Tyndale was given a leave of absence because of illness. He resigned on August 26, 1864, but was brevetted major general of volunteers in the promotions of March, 1865, in recognition of his past services. After the war he was again one of Philadelphia's prominent merchants, civic leaders, and philanthropists. He died there on March 19, 1880, and was buried in Laurel Hill Cemetery.

Previous Page

Reference: Generals in Blue. Lives of the Union Commanders by Ezra J. Warner. Louisiana State University Press. Baton Rouge.