Henry Morris Naglee

Henry Morris Naglee, born in Philadelphia on January 15, 1815, was graduated from West Point in the class of 1835. He submitted his resignation from the army soon after and engaged in civil engineering in New York State until the beginning of the Mexican War when he led a company of the 1st New York Volunteers for more than two years in California and Lower California. Thereafter, he made his home in San Francisco where he was in the banking business. When the Civil War broke out, Naglee was reappointed in the Regular Army as lieutenant colonel of the newly authorized 16th Infantry, but resigned on January 10, 1862, before joining his regiment, in order to accept an appointment as brigadier general of volunteers on February 12, 1862. During the first winter of the war he served in the Washington defenses, and in George B. McClellan's Peninsular campaign he directed a brigade of Reyes's IV Corps. Upon the retirement of the Army of the Potomac from the vicinity of Richmond, Naglee was retained in the departments of North and South Carolina, and Virginia and North Carolina. In the summer of 1863 Naglee was in command of the District of Virginia at Norfolk, his superior being General John G. Foster at Fort Monroe. At this juncture it appears that General Naglee fell out with Governor Francis Harrison Pierpont of the "Restored Government of Virginia," who demanded that all property owned by persons who should be unwilling to take the oath of allegiance not only to the United States but to the restored government should be forfeited and confiscated. This extreme measure Naglee refused to countenance. Accordingly, he was relieved from his command on September 23, and ordered to Cincinnati to await orders to join U. S. Grant's Army of Tennessee. The orders, of course, never came; and on April 4, General Naglee was honorably mustered out of service. In the years thereafter the general continued in the banking business and became interested in the growing of wine grapes at San Jose where he lived in his later years. He died in the Occidental Hotel in San Francisco, March 5, 1886, while paying a visit to his doctor; he was buried in Laurel Hill Cemetery.

Previous Page

Reference: Generals in Blue. Lives of the Union Commanders by Ezra J. Warner. Louisiana State University Press. Baton Rouge.