James Allen Hardie
James Allen Hardie was born in New York City on May 5, 1823. Before receiving an appointment to West Point in 1839 by President Martin Van Buren, he attended Western Collegiate Institute at Pittsburgh and the Poughkeepsie Collegiate School in New York. Hardie was graduated from the Military Academy at the age of twenty, ranking eleventh in a class of thirty-nine cadets, and was promoted to the 1st Artillery. He served in barracks, at his alma mater as an assistant professor, and in the Mexican War as major of the 1st New York Volunteers, a regiment sent to garrison San Francisco. After the Mexican War he was stationed at various points, was aide to General John E. Wool for a time, and was promoted to captain in 1857. At the outbreak of the Civil War he was adjutant general of the Department of Oregon. He was soon made lieutenant colonel and aide-de-camp to General George B. McClellan, and in the spring of 1862 accompanied the latter to the Virginia Peninsula as adjutant general of the Army of the Potomac. He acted in this capacity during the campaign in Maryland, which culminated in the battle of Sharpsburg. During the battle of Fredericksburg the new army commander Ambrose E. Burnside assigned Hardie to the headquarters of the "Left Grand Division" under W. B. Franklin, where he kept Burnside informed of developments. Hardie was appointed brigadier general of volunteers to rank from November 29, 1862, but his name was not submitted to the Senate for confirmation and the records show that the appointment was revoked on January 22, 1863. A month later he was appointed major and assistant adjutant general in the regular service and in March, 1864, colonel and inspector general. He discharged the duties of this office with distinction until the end of the war, meantime carrying out a number of important special assignments for the War Department. In March, 1865, Hardie received the brevets of brigadier and major general, U. S. Army. After the war he continued as one of the four inspectors general holding the rank of colonel as authorized by the Act of 1866; he was stationed in various military departments and at army headquarters in Washington. He died on December 14, 1876, and was buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Reference: Generals in Blue. Lives of the Union Commanders by Ezra J. Warner. Louisiana State University Press. Baton Rouge.