John Wallace Fuller

John Wallace Fuller was born at Harston, Cambridgeshire, England, on July 28, 1827. His father, a Baptist minister, brought the family to Oneida County, New York, in 1833, and much of young Fuller's education was obtained by reading in the Utica bookstore in which he was employed at the age of fourteen. Between 1852 and 1861 he operated his own publishing business in Utica, served as city treasurer, was an officer of militia, and moved to Toledo, Ohio, to establish a similar business there in 1858. At the outbreak of the Civil War, Fuller was detailed to drill troops at Grafton, (West) Virginia, and in August was appointed colonel of the 27th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Serving under John Pope in the operations against New Madrid and Island No. 10, he commanded a brigade under William S. Rosecrans at the battles of Iuka and Corinth in the autumn of 1862, although garrison service in 1863 presumably prevented his promotion to brigadier until January 5, 1864. Thereafter, Fuller's command took a prominent part in the Atlanta campaign as a unit of the XVI Corps of Mc-Pherson's Army of the Tennessee, during which time he commanded his brigade and, at the battle of Atlanta, the 4th Division of the corps. Fuller's Brigade, although repeatedly reorganized and transferred from one unit to another, was a persistent designation in the Army of the Tennessee. During W. T. Sherman's "March to the Sea," the campaign from Atlanta to Savannah, Fuller reverted to the command of his brigade, now in Joseph A. Mower's division of Francis P. Blair's XVII Corps. He continued in command of the brigade through the campaign of the Carolinas and until the surrender of General Joseph E. Johnston at Durham Station, North Carolina. With the brevet of major general for meritorious service during the war, Fuller resigned on August 15, 1865, and returned to his home in Toledo. He engaged for the balance of his life in the wholesale boot and shoe business as senior partner of the firm of Fuller, Childs 8c Company. From 1874 until 1881 he also served as collector of customs for the city of Toledo. General Fuller died there on March 12, 1891, and was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery. He was one of a very small group of foreign-born officers who attained the grade of general in either the Federal or Confederate armies.

Previous Page

Reference:  Generals in Blue.  Lives of the Union Commanders by Ezra J. Warner.  Louisiana State University Press.  Baton Rouge.