Lewis Cass Hunt

Lewis Cass Hunt, a brother of General Henry J. Hunt, was born at one of their father's duty stations, Fort Howard at Green Bay, Wisconsin, February 23, 1824. He was appointed to the Military Academy from Missouri and was graduated from there, ranked toward the bottom of the class of 1847. In the years before the Civil War he saw service in Mexico and the Pacific Northwest and commanded the U. S. detachment in the joint British American occupation of San Juan Island in 1859, having been promoted to captain, 4th Infantry, in 1855. He was ordered to Washington in 1861, took part in the Peninsular campaign of 1862 under General George B. McClellan, and was badly wounded at the battle of Seven Pines. A few days earlier (May 21, 1862) he had been made colonel of the 92nd New York. Following his recovery he was sent to North Carolina, was promoted brigadier general of volunteers on November 29, 1862, and took part in John G. Foster's offensive movement against Kinston and Goldsboro, where he commanded one of the two brigades of Wessells' division and for which he received the brevet of lieutenant colonel in the Regular Army. From then until the end of the war he was successively in command of the draft rendezvous at New Haven, Connecticut, on special duty in Kansas and Missouri, and in command of the defenses of New York Harbor, with promotion to major, 14th Infantry, in 1863, and the brevet of brigadier general, U.S. Army, in 1865 for "Gallant and Meritorious Services during the Rebellion." In the postwar years he served at such widely scattered stations as Fort Wayne, Michigan; Greenville Barracks, Louisiana; Fort Totten, North Dakota; San Antonio, Texas; and Vancouver Barracks, Washington, being promoted lieutenant colonel in the regular army in 1868 and colonel of the 14th Infantry in 1881. He had suffered from chronic dysentery since his service in the Mexican War, and while stationed at San Diego on light duty in August, 1886, was ordered to Fort Union, New Mexico for his health. Six days after his arrival there on September 6, 1886, he died. After temporary interment in the post cemetery, his remains were conveyed to the National Cemetery at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. General Hunt's wife was a daughter of General Silas Casey.

Previous Page

Reference: Generals in Blue. Lives of the Union Commanders by Ezra J. Warner. Louisiana State University Press. Baton Rouge.