Max Weber (sometimes listed as Von Weber) was born on August 27, 1824, in the village of Achern, a few miles south of Baden-Baden, in the Grand Duchy of Baden. He was graduated from the military school at Karlsruhe in 1843, became a lieutenant in the Grand Duke's army, but defected to the rebels during the revolutions of 1848. After the revolt was crushed by the army of Prussia, Weber emigrated to New York and for many years conducted the Hotel Konstanz at William and Frankfort streets—a rendezvous for refugees from southern Germany. At the outbreak of war in 1861, Weber organized the "Turner Rifles" which was mustered into Federal service as the 20th New York Infantry on May 9, 1861. On April 28, 1862, he was made a brigadier general of volunteers. He was commandant at Fort Monroe for a time and discharged a number of. other minor assignments; however, at the battle of Sharpsburg he was greatly distinguished as commander of a brigade of French's division of Sumner's II Corps. In this battle he was badly wounded, losing permanently the use of his right arm. At the end of 1863 he returned to limited duty in Washington and in April, 1864, was assigned to command of the post at Harpers Ferry and of the troops between Sleepy Creek and the Monocacy River. During Jubal Early's raid on Washington, Weber was dislodged from his station but was able to reoccupy it a few days later when the Confederates withdrew from the area. At the end of the war he was unassigned and on May 13, 1865, resigned his commission. After the war he was appointed American consul at Nantes, France, and later served as tax assessor in New York. Subsequently, President Grant appointed him collector of internal revenue for New York. General Weber had been retired for a number of years when he died at his residence in Brooklyn on June 15, 1901; he was buried in Evergreen Cemetery.
Reference: Generals in Blue. Lives of the Union Commanders by Ezra J. Warner. Louisiana State University Press. Baton Rouge.