Melancthon Smith Wade

Taken in the Spring Grove Cemetery, Cincinnati, Ohio, Hamilton County.

Civil War Union Brigadier General. He served with the Ohio Militia from 1825 until 1849, when he applied himself to a business profession. He volunteered for the Union Army when the Civil War began at the age of 58. He was commissioned as a Brigadier General of U. S. Volunteers and was appointed as commander of Camp Dennison, Ohio. An independent regiment was assigned to him for the purpose of maintaining the camp as well as assisting with the drilling and quartering of volunteer recruits. The regiment was also responsible for protecting the Federal property of the camp. Wade resigned his commission and retired from the service on March 18, 1862. He returned to his estate in Avondale, Ohio to engage in work as a fruit farmer and to pursue other horticultural interests. His was the son of American Revolutionary War Officer, David Wade. (bio by: K Guy)

MELANCTHON SMITH WADE was born December 2,1802, in Cincinnati. He was the son of David E. Wade, one of Cincinnati's earliest settlers and a prominent leader in the early development of the city. Melancthon S. Wade was educated in the local schools and then entered the dry goods business where he was so successful that he was able to retire in 1840 at age thirty-eight He devoted much of his time to the affairs of the Ohio state militia, rising in rank from captain to brigadier general At the outbreak of the Civil War he was fifty-eight years old, but he devoted much time to organizing Ohio regiments for service in the field. On October 1,1861, he was appointed a brigadier general of volunteers and became the first post commander of Camp Dennison, a training center for recruits. His age and poor health forced him to resign on March 18,1862. General Wade died August 11,1868, at age sixty-five.

Melancthon Smith Wade, whose father was one of the first settlers in Ohio, was born in Cincinnati on December 2, 1802. He was educated in the local schools and subsequently engaged in the dry-goods business, but retired when he was only thirty-eight years of age. He was active in the Ohio militia for many years and held the successive grades of captain, colonel, and brigadier general. With the outbreak of the Civil War he devoted himself as far as he was able to the recruitment and organization of Ohio volunteers and on October 1, 1861, was mustered into the U. S. Army as a brigadier general of volunteers. He was the first post commander at Camp Dennison, which was located about twenty miles northeast of Cincinnati on the Little Miami River, but both his age and poor health militated against his making an important contribution to the Union war effort, and on March 18, 1862, his resignation was accepted by the War Department. His service was so obscure that his name does not appear in the index to the Official Records. In his last years General Wade was interested in the cultivation of fruit and was an active member of the Cincinnati horticultural society. He died at his estate in Avondale, now a part of Cincinnati, on August 11, 1868, and was buried in Spring Grove Cemetery, Cincinnati.

Reference: Generals in Blue. Lives of the Union Commanders by Ezra J. Warner. Louisiana State University Press. Baton Rouge.

Previous Page