Ralph Pomeroy Buckland

Ralph Pomeroy Buckland was born on January 20, 1812, either in Leyden, Massachusetts, or in Ravenna, Ohio: his parents moved in the year of his birth. At the age of eighteen he sailed down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers with a flatboat of produce and subsequently remained in New Orleans for three years. Returning to Ohio, he studied law, was admitted to the bar, and began practice at Fremont in 1837. Affiliated with the Whig party, he held a number of local offices, including that of mayor, and was a delegate to the Whig convention of 1848; however, he was carried by the free-soil controversy into the Republican fold. Having served two terms in the state senate, he entered Federal service in January, 1862, as colonel of the 72nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry. At Shi-loh he commanded a brigade in the division of W. T. Sherman, who commended Buckland for resisting the Confederate assault on the first day of the battle. Buckland accompanied Sherman to Memphis and after being appointed brigadier general on November 29, 1862, commanded a brigade of the XV Corps in the Vicksburg campaign. In January, 1864, he assumed command of the District of Memphis, where he served until January 6, 1865; at this time he resigned his commission in order to accept the seat in Congress to which he had been elected in absentia. He was brevetted major general of volunteers for faithful and meritorious service on March 13, 1865. After two consecutive terms, Buckland resumed his law practice in Fremont, but his interest in public affairs did not abate. In 1870 he became president of the Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Orphans Home; in 1876 he was a delegate to the Republican convention which nominated Rutherford B. Hayes, who had been his law partner; and from 1878 to 1881 he was government director of the Union Pacific Railroad. General Buckland died in Fremont on May 27, 1892, and was buried in Oakwood Cemetery there.

Previous Page

Reference:  Generals in Blue.  Lives of the Union Commanders by Ezra J. Warner.  Louisiana State University Press.  Baton Rouge.