Field & Staff with Officers of Companies--NCO Staff
Late on the evening of the 8gth of July, 1863, intelligence was received at Indianapolis that a rebel force, estimated to be six thousand cavalry, with four pieces of artillery, under command of General John H. Morgan, had crossed the Ohio River, near Maueckport, and was moving on Cordon, Indiana. Governor Morton at once issued a patriotic call upon the citizens of the state, to leave their various occupations and organize for defense.
Under this call, within the short space of forty-eight hours, sixty-five thousand men had tendered their services. Of this force, thirteen regiments and one battalion were organized specially for this emergency, and the regiments designated numerically, from One Hundred and Second to One Hundred and Fourteenth, inclusive, the battalion being assigned to the One Hundred and Seventh Regiment.
The One hundred and Sixth Regiment--Consisted of nine companies of Minute Men, and one company of the Legion, called the Anderson Guards. Five companies were from Wayne county, two from Randolph, and one company each from the counties of Hancock, Howard and Marion. The regiment was organized on the 12th of July, 1863, containing an aggregate of seven hundred and ninety-two rank and file, with Isaac P. Gray as Colonel. It left Indianapolis on the night of the 13th by rail, and arrived at Hamilton, Ohio, at eight o'clock the next morning. Thence it proceeded to Cincinnati, and from thence returned to Indianapolis, and was mustered out on the 18th of July, 1863.