Field & Staff with Officers of Companies---Unassigned
On the 20th of December, 1864, a call was made for eleven regiments of infantry to serve for one year, and recruiting rendevous were established at the headquarters of each of the District Provost Marshals, from which recruits were forwarded to the general rendevous at Indianapolis. Chief recruiting officers were, also, appointed in each District whose exertions materially aided the recruitment of the regiments. Subsequently five additional regiments for the same arm and term of service were called for, to be recruited in the same manner. Under these calls the following organization was raised, mustered into service and sent to the field:
The Battalion of the One Hundred and Fifty-Sixth Regiment--Was composed of five companies, two of which were recruited in the Seventh District, and one each in the Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Districts. The battalion was organized at Indianapolis on the 12th of April, 1865, with Charles M. Smith as Lieutenant Colonel. On the 27th of April it left Indianapolis and proceeded to Harper's Ferry and during the term of service was engaged in performing guard duty in the Shenandoah Valley. On the 4th of August, 1865, it was mustered out of service at Winchester, Virginia, and returned home, arriving at Indianapolis on the 7th with seventeen officers and three hundred and eighty men for final discharge. After attending a public reception in the Capitol grounds. on the 8th, it marched to Camp Carrington where it was paid off and finally discharged.
The full organization of this Regiment was stopped by special order from the War Department; consequently it was organized as a Battalion of five companies.
Organized at Indianapolis, Ind., April 12, 1865. Left State for Harper's Ferry, W. Va., April 27. Guard and patrol duty at various points in the Shenandoah Valley until August. Mustered out August 4, 1865. Lost during service 17 by disease.