Field & Staff/NCO Staff
Originally organized at Companies "A," "B," "C," 14th Iowa Infantry, October, 1861. Detached by order of General Fremont, and march from Davenport, via Des Moines, Council Bluffs and Sioux City, to Fort Randall, Dakota Territory, arriving December 5, 1861, and on special duty at that point until April, 1863. Permanently detached from 14th Iowa Infantry September 18, 1862, and designated 41st Iowa Battalion Infantry. Transferred to 7th Iowa Cavalry as Companies "K," "L" and "M."