7th Regiment Infantry










Field & Staff/NCO Staff/Regimental Band

Organized at Burlington July 24 to August 4, 1861. Moved to St. Louis, Mo., August 6; thence to Pilot Knob, Mo. Attached to District of Cairo to February, 1862. 4th Brigade, 2nd Division, District of Cairo, February, 1862. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, District of West Tennessee and Army of Tennessee, to July, 1862. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, District of Corinth, Dept. of the Tennessee to September, 1862. 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, District of Corinth, to October, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, District of Corinth, to November, 1862. 1st Brigade, District of Corinth, 13th Army Corps (Old), Dept. of the Tennessee, to December, 1862. 1st Brigade, District of Corinth, 17th Army Corps, Dept. of the Tennessee, to January, 1863. 1st Brigade, District of Corinth, 16th Army Corps, to March, 1863. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 16th Army Corps, to September, 1864. 1st Brigade, 4th Division, 15th Army Corps, to July, 1865.

SERVICE.--Duty at Pilot Knob, Jackson, Cape Girardeau County, Norfolk, Fort Jefferson, Bird's Point, Mo., Fort Holt, Ky., and Cairo, Ill., until November, 1861. Affair at Elliott's Mills, Camp Crittenden, September 22. Expedition to Belmont November 6-7. Battle of Belmont November 7. Moved from Bird's Point to St. Louis, Mo., November 10, and duty there until January, 1862. Expedition to Fort Henry, Tenn., January 15-25. Operations against Fort Henry February 2-6. Investment of Fort Donelson February 12-16. Capture of Fort Donelson February 16. Expedition to Clarksburg, Tenn., February 19-21. Moved to Pittsburg Landing March 5-18. Battle of Shiloh April 6-7. Advance on and siege of Corinth, Miss., April 29-May 30. Pursuit May 31-June 6. Duty at Corinth until October. Expedition to Iuka, Miss., September 18-22. Battle of Iuka September 19. Battle of Corinth October 3-4. Pursuit October 5-7. Moved to Rienzi October 7; thence to Boneyard and duty there until November. Little Bear Creek November 28 and December 12. Duty at Corinth until March, 1863. Expedition against Forest December 18, 1862, to January 3, 1863. Moved to Bethel, Tenn., March 1863, and duty there until June 1. Moved to Corinth June 1; thence to Moscow and duty there until August. At LaGrange until October. March to Pulaski October 30-November 11 and duty there until March, 1864. Veterans on furlough January and February. At Prospect, Tenn., until April. Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May 1 to September 8. Demonstration on Resaca May 8-13. Sugar Valley May 9. Battle of Resaca May 13-14. Ley's Ferry, Oostenaula River, May 15. Rome Cross Roads May 16. Operations on line of Pumpkin Vine Creek and battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 25-June 5. Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10, July 2. Assault on Kenesaw June 27. Ruff's Mill July 3-4. Chattahoochie River July 5-17. Battle of Atlanta July 22. Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25. Flank movement on Jonesboro August 25-30. Flint River Station August 30. Battle of Jonesboro August 31-September 1. Lovejoy Station September 2-6. Pursuit of Hood into Alabama October 1-26. Reconnaissance and skirmishes on Cave Springs Road, near Rome, October 12-13. March to the sea November 15-December 10. Little Ogeechee River December 4. Eden Station and Jenks Bridge December 7, Siege of Savannah December 10-21. Campaign of the Carolinas January to April, 1865. Salkehatchie Swamps, S.C., February 3-5. South Edisto River February 9. North Edisto River February 12-13. Congaree Creek February 15. Columbia February 16-17. Lynch's Creek February 25-26. Expedition to Florence, S.C., March 4-6. Battle of Bentonville March 20-21. Occupation of Goldsboro March 24. Advance on Raleigh April 9-13. Occupation of Raleigh April 14. Bennett's House April 26. Surrender of Johnston and his army. March to Washington, D. C., via Richmond, Va., April 29-May 20. Grand Review May 24. Moved to Louisville, Ky., June. Mustered out July 12, 1865.

Regiment lost during service 7 Officers and 134 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 4 Officers and 160 Enlisted men by disease. Total 305.

This regiment was organized in Burlington, and the first companies mustered in just after the battle of Bull Run, the last company on August 2, 1861.  J. G. Lauman was made colonel.  Like other western regiments, the Seventh was hurried to Missouri with all the haste possible.  August 6th, it embarked for St. Louis, but soon left there for Pilot Knob.  In two weeks more the Regiment commenced its first regular campaigning.  In a division under Gen. B. M. Prentiss, in the last of August, it moved to Jackson, Cape Girardeau county.  In a week more, it left for Cairo. Ill. Here it crossed the Ohio river to Fort Holt, Kentucky, and after two weeks moved to Mayfield Creek, and established Camp Crittenden.  Here it was joined by the lieutenant colonel, Augustus Wentz.  The command soon moved to Fort Jefferson, on the Mississippi.  A strong picket guard had been kept up at Camp Crittenden, where occurred a skirmish in which 1 man was wounded.  From Fort Jefferson, the regiment now moved to Norfolk and Bird's Point, then again to Norfolk.  Here, Sergt. Elliot W. Rice, being promoted major, entered upon duty.  The regiment soon returned to Bird's Point.  November 6, 1861, the Seventh, forming with the Twenty-second Illinois the Second brigade of a detachment led by Gen. Grant in an expedition toward Columbus, left Cairo by steamer and passed down the river about half way to Columbus, stopping over night at Lucas Bend. At daylight of the 7th the troops proceeded and debarked about two or three miles above Belmont. Col. H. Dougherty of the Twenty-second Illinois commanded the Second brigade the troops were immediately drawn up in line of battle, and in the battle of Belmont which ensued, the Seventh distinguished itself by heroism, and lost the most heavily of any regiment engaged. Lt. Col. Wentz was among the killed. Iowa was indeed proud of the bravery of the Seventh in its first battle. On the evening of November 7th the shattered regiment arrived at Bird's Point, and was shortly ordered to St. Louis.  About the middle of January, 1862, it was ordered to the South. Via Cairo, Fort Holt and Smithland it moved up the Tennessee river to attack Fort Henry, which fort it entered upon the surrender to Commodore Foote, remaining one week.

February 12th, the regiment marched for Fort Donelson, arriving the same day. At 5 p. m. it was ordered to the front, to support a battery. The night was spent without shelter or blankets. On the morning of the 13th, Company C, Capt. McMullin, was deployed as skirmishers. Orders soon came to join the brigade going into action. The regiment fell into line, double-quick to position in front of the rebel works and remained till after dark in line then withdrew. The rain had changed to snow. The troops suffered greatly in the night. On the 14th, several companies were deployed as skirmishers. Another inclement night was endured. Several inches of snow fell. On the 15th, skirmishers were again deployed, and at 2 p. m. the Seventh was ordered to join in the charge on the rebel works a charge gloriously executed. After the surrender, the regiment remained some three weeks within Fort Donelson. It was next ordered to Pittsburg Landing.

When the battle of Shiloh opened, April 6th, it was summoned from parade for inspection, to take its place at the front. It fought in the Iowa brigade under Gen. J. M. Tuttle. Lt.-Col. Parrottwas in command. Col. Lauman having been promoted, for gallantry at Fort Donelson, to the command of a brigade. Maj. Rice was afterward promoted to the colonelcy, and Capt. James W. McMullin of Company C to the majority. On the 8th, the regiment was marched forward some miles after the enemy. Finding nothing, it returned. April 27th, the army, under Halleck, was moved forward to the siege of Corinth. When Corinth was evacuated, the Seventh, with its division, was ordered to pursue. The pursuit was terminated at Booneville, Miss. In a few days, the regiment retraced its steps, and, with its brigade, formed Camp Montgomery, near Corinth. It remained here the rest of the summer. September 15th it was ordered to Iuka. In the battle of the 19th, the Seventh took no direct part, and immediately after returned to Camp Montgomery.

In the battle of Corinth, October 3d and 4th, the Seventh bore a conspicuous part, and maintained its high reputation. Gen. Sweeney commanded its brigade. On the 5th, the regiment pursued the enemy. On the 7th, it was ordered to Rienzi, and shortly to Boneyard. After a month, it returned to Corinth, and passed the winter of '62 and '63 in tents. In March, it was ordered to Bethel, Tenn., and on June 1st returned to Corinth. Here the regiment built good quarters, but was unexpectedly ordered away immediately to Moscow, Tenn., to remain a month. From there it was ordered to Lagrange, Tenn. for a few days. From Moscow and Lagrange, the command made two or three expeditions into Mississippi, one via Holly Springs, when it was absent two weeks. The regiment returned from Moscow to Lagrange, and commenced to prepare winter quarters, but was again ordered to leave on October 31st. It was cold weather, and the men rode on the top of box cars to Iuka, where they went into camp for a few days. They then took up line of march, and crossing the Tennessee river at Eastport, arrived November 11, 1863, at the wealthy and beautiful little city of Pulaski, Tenn. Here they went into camp, and, in the absence of tents, constructed huts, or "shebangs," as they were styled in army phrase. The supplies had to be wagoned from Smith's Station, thirty-six miles distant. It was the duty of the Seventh, in inclement weather in December, to escort a train of 150 wagons on this errand, after which the "shebangs" seemed doubly luxurious. About December 20, 1863, orders were received to allow the men who had been in service two years, to re-enlist as veterans. About three-fourths of those present with the regiment re-enlisted. The veteran portion of the regiment started for Iowa to receive furlough, January 7, 1864. February 20th, they rendezvoused at Keokuk; and by the 25th had 200 new recruits. The regiment now started for the front. Reaching Prospect, Tenn., it garrisoned that post till near the close of April. April 27, 1864, the Seventh set out on the famous Atlanta campaign. This glorious march was a succession of skirmishes and fights. Brig. Gen. E. W. Rice, former colonel of the Seventh, led the advance of the Army of the Tennessee, and at Oostanaula river, Lay's Ferry, the Seventh distinguished itself in a brief but brilliant conflict. It was led by Maj. McMullin. This movement resulted in the Rebels abandoning Resaca the same day. The men were so full of enthusiasm and ardor it was difficult to withdraw them from the enemy and restrain them within proper bounds. Fighting went on till September 1st, and the Seventh Iowa bore an honorable part in all. At Rome, the Seventh cast its vote for president. There were 320 voices for Lincoln, and 2 for McClellan. November 15th, the regiment joined the column moving forward in the march to the sea, arriving at Savannah December 21st.

At the close of the Georgia campaign, according to the report of Lt.-Col. J. C. Parrott, who commanded it, the regiment numbered 549 men. It had not been increased by the draft, neither by recruits since the time of its becoming a veteran regiment. The losses of the regiment on the march to the sea were only 3 men wounded 2 slightly in a skirmish December 7th, and 1 severely on the 11th, in front of the works at Savannah.

The Seventh remained five weeks in Savannah, and then with hopeful spirits began the difficult march northward through the swamps of South Carolina, in mid winter, amid hostile surroundings, and in rain and snow. It was 480 miles to Goldsboro, and thirty-nine miles corduroy road were constructed. Through Goldsboro, Raleigh and Richmond, the regiment marched to Washington, where it took its part in the grand review. It then moved to Louisville, where it was honorably mustered out of the service it had so bravely shared. Jacob G. Laumau, first colonel of the Seventh, was made brigadier general March 21, 1862. Elliott W. Rice, first major, became brigadier general June 20, 1864, and later brevet major general.

Previous Page

Reference: Iowa in War Times, by, S. H. M. Byers.  1888.  W. D. Condit & Co. Des Moines.