42nd Regiment Infantry
9 Months



Field & Staff---NCO Staff---Band---Unassigned

Organized at Camp Meigs, Reedville, November 11, 1862. Left State for New York November 11, thence to East New York November 22. Sailed December 2 for New Orleans, La. (Cos. "D," "G" and "I"), on Steamer "Saxon," arriving at Ship Island December 14, and at New Orleans December 16. Companies "A," "B" and "F" on Steamer "Quincy," arriving at Hilton Head, S. C., December 11, at Tortugas, Fla., December 20, at Ship Island, Miss., December 26, and at New Orleans, December 29. Companies "C" and "H" on Steamer "Shetucket," arriving at New Orleans January 1, 1863. Companies "E" and "K" on Steamer "Chas. Osgood," arriving at New Orleans January 1, 1863. Attached to Sherman's Division, Dept. of the Gulf, to January, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 19th Army Corps, Dept. of the Gulf, to August, 1863.

SERVICE.--Companies "D," "G" and "I" moved on Steamer "Saxon" to Galveston, Texas, December 1924, 1862. Occupation of Galveston December 24 (Cos. "D," "G," "I"). Action at Galveston January 1, 1863. Captured and paroled at Alexandria, La., February 18, 1863, and rejoined Regiment at New Orleans February 22. Assigned to duty at Paroled Camp Bayou, Gentilly, until July. Companies "A," "B," "E," "F" and "K" at Carrollton, La., until January 26, 1863. Moved to Bayou Gentilly on Ponchartrain Railroad, and duty there until July. Companies "C" and "H" detached from Regiment January 15, and assigned to duty with Engineer Corps, Dept. of the Gulf, at Camp Parapet, and erecting fortifications for the Defence of New Orleans until June. Rejoined Regiment at Camp Farr June 5. Company "K" detached February 16 for Engineer duty. Moved to New Orleans February 18, and placed in charge of a pontoon train. Moved to Bayou Montesino March 10 and laid bridge, returning to Baton Rouge March 15. Expedition up Mississippi River March 19-22. Moved to New Orleans March 23-24, thence to Brashear City April 6. Expedition to Bayou Teche with bridge 300 feet long, which was placed across Bayou Teche April 12, Removed torpedoes and obstructions to Indian Bend April 12-15. Removed obstructions to wreck of Steamer "Cotton" April 15-23. Moved to Brashear City April 23, thence to Washington on Courtableaux River. Expedition to Alexandria and Simsport April 27-May 21. Ordered to Port Hudson May 21. Siege of Port Hudson May 26-July 9. Laid bridge at Sandy Creek May 26. LaFourche June 21-22. Brashear June 23. Expedition to Donaldsville July 13-21 and laid bridge across Bayou LaFourche 280 feet long. Relieved from duty as Engineers and rejoined Regiment at New Orleans. Regiment engaged in outpost and picket duty from Bayou St. John to Point Aux Herbs. Company "A" at battery on Bayou St. John until July 28. Company "F" at Lakeport April 6 to July 28. Regiment concentrated and moved to Boston July 31-August 10. Mustered out August 20, 1863.

Regiment lost during service 4 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 2 Officers and 44 Enlisted men by disease. Total 50.


The 42d Regt. Mass. Vol. Mil. was one of the new militia units raised to fill the quota of Massachusetts under the call of Aug. 4, 1862, for 300,000 men to serve nine months.

Its nucleus was the newly organized 2d Regt. Mass. Vol. Mil. As there was already a 2d Regt. Mass. Vol. Inf. in the service, this new unit was named the 42d Regt. in order to avoid the duplication of numbers.

The regiment was recruited at Camp Meigs, Readville, Brig. Gen. R. A. Pierce being commander of the camp. The various companies were mustered in between Sept. 13 and Oct. 14, 1862, while the field and staff were not mustered until Nov. 11. Under command of Col. Isaac S. Burrell the regiment left, Nov. 21, for Camp Banks, Long Island, N. Y., where the expedition for Louisiana was being organized. Here on the 3d of December it took transports for New Orleans.

Colonel Burrell and staff with Companies "D", "G", and "I" proceeded on the transport Saxon via Ship Island to New Orleans, reaching that city Dec. 16. On the following day they arrived at Carrollton and went into quarters at Camp Mansfield. Ordered to Galveston, Texas, to cooperate with the blockading fleet. Colonel Burrell with his three companies arrived at that city on Christmas Day, 1862. Taking possession of the city and erecting some works for its defense, on New Year's Day, 1863, they were attacked by a force which had crossed over from the mainland. Taking refuge on Kuhns' Wharf, after a gallant defense Colonel Burrell and his three companies were forced to surrender to the Confederate commander General Magruder. In recognition of the gallantry with which he had defended his post. Colonel Burrell was allowed to retain his sword. The enlisted men were paroled Feb, 18, but the officers were not finally released and exchanged until July 22, 1864.

Lieut. Col. Stedman with Companies "A", "B", and "F" on the transport Quincy reached Camp Mansfield, Carrollton, Dec. 29. Companies "E" and "K" on the CHARLES OSGOOD arrived Jany. 2, while Companies "C" and "H" on the Shetucket did not reach camp until Jan. 15. The seven companies which now composed the regiment were made a part of Farr's (2d) Brigade, T. W. Sherman's (2d) Division, 19th Corps.

Captain Leonard with Companies "C" and "H" was employed during the first half of the year 1863 at Camp Parapet, the men serving as engineers and constructing a redoubt at that place. Here Captain Leonard organized a colored regiment largely officered by men from the 42d Mass. and known as the 1st Louisiana Engineers.

Companies "A", "B", "F", and "K" under command of Lieut. Col. Stedman were sent to Bayou Gentilly a dozen miles northeast from New Orleans and near Lake Ponchartrain. These companies were detached at various times and assigned to duty at different places. In June a detachment of 100 men was sent to Brashear City on the Opelousas Railroad and attached to a battalion of the 47th Regiment. On June 23 the garrison at Brashear City was captured and with it forty-six men of the 42d Regiment, About June 21 the headquarters of the regiment were transferred to Lafayette Square, New Orleans. About the 1st of July the regiment was transferred to the Custom House and there remained until the middle of the month when it was moved across the Mississippi River to Algiers and spent a fortnight picketing the Opelousas Railroad. On Aug. 1 it embarked on the steamer continental bound for home. After many vicissitudes it reached Boston via Providence, R. I., Aug. 10. Here the men were furloughed until the 20th when they assembled for the last time at Readville where they were paid off and discharged.

Previous Page

(Taken from):

Massachusetts Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines in the Civil War
Compiled and Published
in accordance with Chapter 475, Acts of 1899
AND Chapter 64, Resolves of 1930
Vol. IV