43rd Regiment Infantry



Field & Staff---NCO Staff---Band---Unassigned

Organized at Camp Meigs, Readville, September 12 to October 23, 1862. Left State for Newberne, N. C., October 24. Attached to 1st Brigade, 1st Division, Dept. of North Carolina, to December, 1862. Amory's Brigade, Dept. North Carolina, to January, 1863. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 18th Army Corps, Dept. North Carolina, to June, 1863. 1st Brigade, Maryland Heights, Division West Virginia, to July, 1863.

SERVICE.--Duty at Newberne, N. C., until December 10, 1862. (Co. "C" detached at Beaufort, N. C., November 30, 1862, to March 4, 1863.) Foster's Expedition to Goldsboro December 11-20, 1862. Kinston December 14. Whitehall December 16, Goldsboro December 17. At Newberne until January 17, 1863. Companies "A," "D" and "E" detached on outpost duty at Batchelor's Creek December 31, 1862, to January 11, 1863. Company "I" detached on picket duty at Evans' Mills January 11 to March 2. Expedition toward Trenton January 17-22. At Newberne until March 14. Expedition to Rocky Run March 14-16. At Newberne until April 7. March to relief of Little Washington April 7-10. Blount's Creek April 9. Moved to Little Washington April 17-18, and duty there until April 24. Moved to Newberne April 24-25. Expedition to Core Creek April 27-May 1. At Newberne until June 24. Moved to Fort Monroe, thence to White House, Pamunkey River, June 24-28. Moved to Baltimore, Md., June 29-July 3. Moved to Sandy Hook, Md., July 7-9, and duty there until July 18. Moved to Boston, Mass., July 18-21. Mustered out July 30, 1863.

Regiment lost during service 3 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 12 Enlisted men by disease. Total 15.

The 43d Regt. Mass. Vol. Mil. was one of the new militia regiments raised to fill the quota of Massachusetts under the call of Aug. 4, 1862, for nine months troops. Its nucleus was the 2d Battalion Infantry, M, V. M. which by Special Order No. 596, dated Aug. 7, 1862, was authorized to recruit to the full size of a regiment. On Aug. 23 the 2d Battalion was ordered to Camp Meigs, Readville, Brig. Gen. R. A. Pierce being in command of the camp. Here it completed its organization as a regiment. The companies were mustered in between Sept. 12 and Oct. 11, 1862. Colonel Holbrook and the rest of the field and staff were mustered in Oct. 25. Because of the prominence of Company "A", the old Boston Light Infantry or "Tigers", as it was commonly called, the 43d became generally known as the "Tiger Regiment".

After a parade in Boston the regiment embarked on the steamer Merrimac Nov. 5, but did not leave Boston Harbor until Nov. 10, when it proceeded under the escort of the U. S. Gunboat huron to Beaufort, N. C, arriving on the 15th. Here it entrained at once for Newbern, N. C, and established itself at Camp Rogers on the Trent River about two miles from the city. Here it became a part of the 1st Brigade, 1st Division of General Foster's command, the brigade being commanded by Col. Thomas J. C. Amory.

On the 11th of December the regiment, with the exception of Co. "C", which had been sent to Beaufort, started on the Goldsboro expedition. It was present Dec. 14 at the battle of Kinston, at Whitehall, Dec. 16, and at Goldsboro, Dec. 17, its losses being slight.  Returning to Camp Rogers after its 180 mile march, the regiment remained inactive until Jan. 17, when it joined in the expedition to Trenton, returning to camp on the 21st. Again it remained in camp occupied in daily drills until Mar. 14, when it proceeded about 20 miles toward Kinston in pursuit of a force which had made an attack on Newbern. The enemy having disappeared from its front, on the 16th the regiment again returned to Camp Rogers.

On the 7th of April the regiment was ferried across the Neuse River and was sent with the 17th Regiment on an expedition to relieve Little Washington which was besieged by a large Confederate force under Gen. D. H. Hill. On the afternoon of April 9, 1863, the enemy was encountered at Blount's Creek, a dozen miles south of Little Washington.  After a sharp skirmish the Union force withdrew and returned to Newbern. Embarking almost immediately on a transport, it went by water on the expedition which finally relieved Little Washington, remaining on duty at that place from April 18 to 24.

Returning by steamer to Newbern, on the 27th it entrained for Batchellor's Creek, advancing on the 31st to the region of Core Creek to guard the pioneers who were rebuilding the railroad to Goldsboro. On May 1 it returned to Newbern.

During May and June the 43d remained in or near Newbern doing guard and fatigue duty until the 24th of the latter month when it embarked on transports bound for Fort Monroe. Landing at Hampton, Va., June 30, on the 2d of July, it took steamer for Baltimore arriving at Fort McHenry the next day. Here 203 oflScers and men volunteered to serve temporarily with the Army of the Potomac and proceeded to Sandy Hook, Md.  Here, under command of Lieut. Col. Whiton, they were attached to the 1st Brigade, 2d Division, 6th Corps. The duty of these volunteers ended July 18, after the retreat of Lee's army into Virginia, and on this day they took transportation for Boston. Here they were furloughed until July 30 when they reassembled at Readville and were mustered out of the service.

(Taken from):

Massachusetts Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines in the Civil War
Compiled and Published
in accordance with Chapter 475, Acts of 1899
AND Chapter 64, Resolves of 1930
Vol. IV

Previous Page