1st Michigan Light Artillery

Battery F


Battery "F" was organized at Coldwater, mustering into the service of the United States, January 9, 1862, with the following officers: Captain John S. Andrews, of Coldwater. First Lieutenant Luther F. Hale, Coldwater. First Lieutenant Norman S. Andrews, Three Rivers. Second Lieutenant George B. Tyler, Coldwater, and Second Lieutenant Harry A. Hutson.

The Battery left the State under the command of Captain Andrews for service in Kentucky, March 3, 1862, then for some months in garrison at West Point. Their first engagement was at Henderson, Kentucky, on June 30th., then again at Richmond on August the 29th. and 30th., where its infantry support having failed, the Battery was cut off by the Confederates, and their guns captured.

Up to October 31st., they had; killed in action 3, died of wounds 1, died of disease 1, wounded in action 13, missing in action 3, and 58 taken prisoners.

On the 31st. of October they were stationed at Louisville, Kentucky, under the command of Captain Hale, Captain Andrews having resigned. One section of the Battery, under the command of Lieutenant Paddock, being on detached service at Bowling Green on garrison duty. On December 13th., the remainder of the Battery proceeded from Louisville to Munfordsville, where they were also placed on garrison duty. They remained at this place until October, 1863, when they were ordered to Glasgow.

Attached to garrison at West Point, Ky., Dept. of the Ohio, to June, 1862. Unattached, Dept. of the Ohio, to August, 1862. Cruft's Brigade, Richmond, Ky., Dept. of the Ohio, to September, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, Amy of Kentucky, Dept. of the Ohio, to October, 1862. District of Louisville, Ky., Dept. of the Ohio, to December, 1862. Bowling Green. Ky., District of Western Kentucky, Dept. of the Ohio, to June, 1863. Unattached, 2nd Division, 23rd Army Corps, Dept. of the Ohio, to August, 1863. Munfordsville, Ky., 1st Division, 23rd Army Corps, Dept. of the Ohio, to August, 1863. District of South Central Kentucky, 1st Division, 23rd Army Corps, to January, 1864. Unattached, 2nd Division, 23rd Army Corps, to May, 1864. Artillery, 2nd Division, 23rd Army Corps, to November, 1864. District of Nashville, Tenn., Dept. of the Cumberland, to December, 1864. Artillery, 1st Division, 23rd Army Corps, Dept. of the Ohio, to February, 1865, and Dept. of North Carolina to April, 1865. Post of New Berne, N. C., Dept. of North Carolina, to July, 1865.

On December the 7th., Lieutenant Brown assumed command, Captain Hale having been promoted to Major. The Battery, under command of Lieutenant Holbrook, marched across the Cumberland Mountains in January of 1864, to Knoxville, where they arrived on the 22nd., the men and horses having suffered much during the march, from the extreme cold and the scarcity of rations and forage. The Battery formed part of the garrison of Knoxville until the 24th. of April, when they were newly equipped and then assigned to the 2nd. Division of the 23rd. Army Corp. While stationed at this point, fifty men re-enlisted as veterans on the 4th. of January, then receiving their furlough returned to Michigan, on the expiration of which, they rejoined the Battery. In May, under the command of Captain Paddock, they joined the Army under General Sherman, then entering on the Georgia Campaign. On the 12th. of May they participated in the engagement at Resaca, they also participated in the engagements near Lost Mountain, on the 9th. and the 11th, then on the 12th., shelled the rebel works. They were engaged in skirmishing almost daily until the 22nd., when they took part in the engagement of Moss House. They were in the battle of Kenesaw Mountain on the 23rd., having lost 3 wounded, then on the 1st., were engaged near Marietta. On the 8th. of July, they drove a rebel battery from its position on the Chattahoochie River, the Confederates abandoning one of their guns. The Battery crossed the Chattahoochie on the 11th. of July, then assisted in driving the southern forces out of Decatur, on the 18th. and 19th. On the 21st, they were again engaged between Decatur and Atlanta, losing 1 man killed, then on the same day threw the first shell into Atlanta. On the 22nd., the Battery took position at a distance from the rebel works of about 1800 yards, then until the 1st. of August, kept up a steady fire. On the 4th., under the command of Lieutenant Miller, the Battery was engaged in a severe fight at Utoy Creek, losing one man killed. In this action the equipments and wheels of two of its guns were destroyed by the rebels shots. They however, held their position, then aided in silencing the fire of two of the rebel batteries. During the last year, its loss was 3 men died of wounds and 4 of disease.

A correspondent with the Battery wrote of the action:

"On the 24th. of April an order was issued to have the battery equipped for field service at once, and on the 27th. Capt. Paddock reported the battery was ready for service. Marching orders were received on the morning of the 28th., and at nine o'clock A.M. we left Knoxville, en route foe Charleston, Tennessee, seventy miles distant, reaching there on Sunday, May 1st. On account of the scarcity of horses our section was left there to guard the railroad bridge across the Hiawassee river until more horses could be had. Remained at Charleston until the morning of May 3rd., when, again taking up our line of march, we passed through Cleveland at 12 M., and following the Dalton road, reached Red Clay on the afternoon of the 4th. Our Corp now formed the left wing of General Sherman's army. Resumed the march on the morning of the 7th., and pursuing a southwest course, went into park at Rocky Face on the night of the 8th. Being relieved by the 4th. Corp on the 12th., the 23rd. Corp marched around by the way of Snake Creek Gap to the right wing of the army, a distance of 27 miles and arrived just in time to participate in the battle of Resaca on the 14th. Our battery was engaged in the afternoon, but received no injuries. During the night of the 14th., the 23rd. Corp was relieved by the 14th. and on the 15th. we marched around to the extreme left to assist the 20th. Corp, but arrived too late to participate in the engagement of that day. The enemy retreated that night, and on the 16th. we moved forward, and crossing the Canestoga river on the 17th., went into camp on the 18th. at Cedar Creek.

The 19th., encamped before Capville, Georgia. The people had all left, taking everything movable with them. On the 20th. pursued the enemy as far as Cartersviile, and went into park. There we lay over two days to rest both men and horses, and also to prepare for a twenty day's march. By this time many of our horses had given out from fatigue and scarcity of forage, and the Captain managed to get enough to replace those that had been used up. On the 23rd., at 6 A.M., resumed the march in a southwest direction and at 12 M. crossed the Etowah Cliffs. From there we marched southeast and crossed the Pumpkinvine creek on the 26th., and after advancing a short distance encountered the enemy in strong force and well fortified. Then we marched and counter-marched, advanced and retreated, moved to the right and then to the left, until the 7th. of June. At that time the line swung around, and we again formed the right wing. There we remained two days, during which time the rebels fell back, and on the 9th. a reconnaissance in force was made by the 2nd. division and our battery. After advancing some five miles the enemy's line was developed, extending from Kenesaw to Lost Mountain, a distance of six miles. Got one section into battery, and fired 19 rounds at the Johnnies at 1200 yards distant, but they did not reply. On the 18th. the whole line moved up and threw up works. We had an artillery duel that day with a rebel battery. They cut one of our gun-limbers in pieces with a shell and killed one horse, whilst we dismounted ten guns for them. It rained continually until the 15th., when we again opened fire on the enemy, and after firing 131 rounds they fell back, and our Corp moved forward one mile and occupied two lines of works. On the 17th. advanced 2 miles and had another skirmish with them, but received no damage. Were marching here and there to counteract the enemy's movements until the afternoon of the 22nd., when, being at the intersections of the Powder Spring and Marietta roads, and three miles southwest of Marietta, the rebels charged our lines, driving in the first upon the second, when our battery opened on them at a distance of 400 yards with shell and cannister, and finally drove them back with heavy loss.

The next night, advanced our battery under the cover of darkness within 450 yards of the rebel works, and threw up works to protect us. On the 26th. moved one section to the right, and shelled the rebs, to cover a forward movement of the 3rd. division. On the 27th. our forces brought on a general engagement, and we shelled their line all day long. Then we had Private F. Smithly killed, Lieutenant Marshall M. Miller and Private Peley A. Conner wounded; also lost several horses. Two guns were rendered unserviceable during the day, and were sent back to Chattanooga to be exchanged for new ones. Moved out on the 1st. of July on the Marietta and Atlanta road, and took a position near the roadside. The night of the 2nd. the rebels fell back, and, leaving Kenesaw Mountain, occupied a new line of works near to the Chattahoochie. On the 6th. we crossed Nickajack creek, and pursuing a southeast course, struck the railroad at Ruff's Station, seven miles from the river. The morning of the 18th. advanced to the Chattahoochie, striking it at the mouth of Soap Creek, five miles from the railroad bridge. There other rebels opened fire on us with a howitzer battery from a high hill on the opposite side of the river. We soon got our pieces in battery, and the old Sixth Michigan had fired but a few rounds when it got too hot for them and they retreated, leaving one gun in our possession. The army had nearly all crossed the river by the 12th., and we marched about three miles and again threw up a line of works in front of the enemy. On the 17th. we again advanced three and a half miles, when more works were thrown up. The morning of the 18th. we resumed the march, and, crossed the Nancy and Peachtree creeks, encountered the rebels in force in front of Decatur, at noon on the 10th. Line of battle was formed and a battery got into position, and the ball opened so hot that in less than two hours we had driven them back across the railroad, and our Corp took possession of it and the town, thereby cutting off communication with Richmond and the east by the Georgia Central route.

At evening the 16th. Corp came up and relieved us, when we moved out on the Atlanta road one mile and bivouacked for the night. We were on the move at early dawn of the 20th., but after advancing a short distance, we encountered the enemy, and with some fighting and a great deal of heavy skirmishing succeeded in advancing our lines some three miles nearer the city. We threw up a temporary work and got our guns into position at 3 o'clock A.M. of the 21st. within 560 yards of the enemy's lines, and two and a half miles from the city. Soon after we opened a heavy fire, to which they vigorously replied. Early in the day we had the misfortune to lose private Norman P. Austin, of Hudson, who was shot through the head whilst bravely at work.

Captain Paddock climbed a high pine tree during the afternoon, and with his glass could get a fine view of Atlanta. He gave one of his gunners the direction and distance, and soon had the satisfaction of seeing some shells strike in the city and also into their wagon train. Thus the Sixth Michigan Battery had the honor of firing the first shot into the rebel stronghold of the southwest. During the night following, they evacuated their works, and early in the morning of the 22nd. our lines advanced about one mile, when a strong line of fortifications, with heavy guns mounted here and there, was discovered extending along on a ridge upon which a portion of the city was built. As soon as they discovered the advance of our column, a heavy fire was opened with two or three of their batteries, making rather warm times for us. It could not be avoided, and it was evident that hard work and rapid movements must be made, or we should have to fall back out of range of their guns. But retreating is not in the program of the troops of this army, so heavy details of infantry were made to assist in building fortifications for the artillery, and although the shot and shell made us bow, dodge, and get close to the ground at times, besides killing and wounding a few men, still we stood our ground, and at 11 o'clock A.M. were ready for action. About this time the enemy having massed their troops on our left, charged the works of the 17th. Corp, occupying the extreme left, and succeeded in driving it back across the railroad, and again Decatur was in possession of the Johnnies. But the 15th. and 16th. Corp, together with the 3rd. division of the 23rd., went to their assistance, and at night we had all that had been lost during the day.

This Battery, under the command of Captain Paddock, was in camp at Chattanooga, Tennessee, November 1, 1864, then in the early part of that month were transported by rail to Nashville, thence to Johnsville, where they encamped from the 11th. to the 24th., when they broke camp and marched with the 1st. Brigade, 2nd. Division of the 23rd. Corp, in the direction of Columbia, then there remained until December the 1st., when, on the approach of Hood's army, they commenced the retreat, with their Brigade from near Beard's Ferry, on the Duck River, to Nashville. Arriving within seven miles of that place on the night of the 2nd., the rebels were found to be in force in front, and in possession of all of the roads of approach to that point. It therefore became necessary to fall back, then under the cover of the night, a successful retrograde movement was accomplished, the Brigade taking with it two of the rebels cavalry pickets. The march was continued in good order during the whole of the night, without halting, then after resting for an hour on the morning of the 3rd., the march was resumed, continuing until night, when reaching Charlotte, they encamped, having marched a distance of sixty miles in thirty-six hours. Resuming the march again on the morning of the 4th., on the afternoon of the 5th., the Brigade crossed the Cumberland River at Clarksville, then lay in camp that night and the next day, when they marched for Nashville, arriving there on the evening of the 8th., then from the 12th. to the 16th., participated in the defence of that place against the attack of Hood. On the 19th. of January, 1865, after having been reequipped, they left Nashville with Major Scofield's command, then proceeded by rail to Louisville, Kentucky, thence by steamer to Cincinnati, then by rail to Washington D.C., arriving there on February the 2nd. On the 19th., they moved to Alexandria, then on the 20th. took transports for Fort Fisher,N.C., reaching there on the 24th., whence they were ordered to proceed to Beaufort, arriving there on the 25th., then reaching New Bern on the 26th. On the 3rd. of March the Battery left New Bern with the 1st. Division of the 23rd. Army Corp, then was engaged with the Confederates at Wise's Forks on the 10th., with a loss of one killed and two wounded. They reached Kingston on the 15th., then arrived at Goldsboro on the 21st., where they remained until the 8th. of April, when in consequence of their becoming short of men, they were ordered to New Bern to refit for field service.

From that date nothing is given in the reports of the Battery in regard to its movements, except that they were at New Bern on the 31st. of May. They arrived at Jackson, Michigan on June 24, 1865, and was mustered out of service on July 1, 1863.

During their term of Federal service, they were engaged at:

Lost Mountain,Ga Atlanta,Ga Kenesaw,Ga
Chattahoochie River,Ga Resaca,Ga Nashville,Tn
Richmond,Ky Utoy Creek,Ga Marietta,Ga
Decatur,Ga Moss House,Ga Wise Forks,NC

SERVICE.--Garrison at West Point, Ky,, until June, 1862. Action at Henderson, Ky., June 30. At Richmond, Ky., until September 1. Battle of Richmond August 29-30. Guns captured. Duty at Louisville, Bowling Green and Munfordsville, Ky., until October, 1863. Action at Shepherdsville July 7, 1863. At Glasgow, Ky., October to December, 1863. March across Cumberland Mountains to Knoxville, Tenn., January 14-22, 1864, and garrison duty at Knoxville until April 24, 1864. March to Cleveland, Tenn., April 24-May 1. Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May 1 to September 8. Demonstrations on Rocky Faced Ridge and Dalton, Ga., May 8-13. Battle of Resaca May 14-15. Cassville May 19-22. Operations on line of Pumpkin Vine Creek and battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 25-June 5. Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2. Lost Mountain June 15-17. Muddy Creek June 17. Noyes Creek June 19. Kolb's Farm June 22. Assault on Kenesaw Mountain June 27. Nickajack Creek July 2-5. Chattahoochie River July 5-17. Decatur July 19. Howard House July 20. Battle of Atlanta July 22. Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25. Utoy Creek August 5-7. Flank movement on Jonesboro August 25-30. Battle of Jonesboro August 31-September 1. Lovejoy Station September 2-6. At Decatur September 8 to October 4. At Chattanooga, Tenn., until November 2, and at Johnsonville until November 24. Nashville Campaign November-December. March to Nashville, Tenn., December 1-8. Battle of Nashville, Tenn., December 15-16. Movement to Washington, D.C., thence to Fort Fisher, N. C., January 19-February 24, 1865, and to Beaufort and New Berne, N. C., February 25-26. Carolina Campaign March 1-April 26. Advance on Kinston and Goldsboro March 3-21. Battle of Wise's Forks March 8-10. Kinston March 14. Occupation of Goldsboro March 21 and duty there until April 8. Ordered to New Berne, N. C., April 8, and duty there until June. Ordered to Jackson, Mich., arriving there June 24. Mustered out July 1, 1865.

Total Enrollment--245
Died of Wounds--1
Died of Disease--20
Killed in Action--9
Total Casualty Rate--12.2%

Previous Page