1st Michigan Light Artillery

Battery G


Organized at Kalamazoo, Mich., and mustered in January 17, 1862. Moved to Louisville, Ky., February 12-14; thence to West Point, Ky., March 3-5, and duty there until April 1. Attached to Artillery, 7th Division, Army of the Ohio, to October, 1862. Artillery, Cumberland Division, District of West Virginia, Dept. of the Ohio, to November, 1862. Artillery, 9th Division, Right Wing 13th Army Corps (Old), Dept. of the Tennessee, to December, 1862. Artillery, 3rd Division, Sherman's Yazoo Expedition, to January, 1863. Artillery, 9th Division, 13th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee, to July, 1863. Artillery, 1st Division, 13th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee, to August, 1863, and Dept. of the Gulf to June, 1864. Defenses of New Orleans, La., Dept. of the Gulf, to August, 1864. Artillery Reserve, Dept. of the Gulf, to October, 1864. United States Forces, Mobile Bay, Dept. of the Gulf, to December, 1864. District of Southern Alabama, Dept. of the Gulf, to July, 1865.

During the month of September, they moved from the Cumberland Gap to Portland,Oh, engaging the rebels at Caney Bottom, Ky on the 24th., then moved on to Galliopolis, Oh. In November they proceeded to Gauly Bridge, W.Va, then returned to Point Pleasant, then there embarked on transports for Cincinnati, reaching there on November 21st., from where they reembarked transports for Memphis, Tn, thence to the Yazoo River, Ms.

They took part in the battle of Chickasaw Bayou, on the 28th. and 29th. of December, losing 10 men wounded, two of them mortally, with eight horses killed or disabled. In January, 1863, the Battery moved with the Union forces to Arkansas Post, then after the taking of that place, were held in reserve. After the surrender of that place, they moved to Young's Point, La, opposite Vicksburg. During February and March, the Battery lay at Young's Point and at Milliken's Bend, La. In April, they embarked on transports which ran the rebel blockade of the river at Grand Gulf, landing at Bruinsburg, then on the 30th., marched toward Port Gibson. The Battery participated in the campaign of General Grant, following the advance on Port Gibson. At the battle of Thompson's Mills, May 1st., they lost two killed and two wounded. In this affair they acquired much distinction and was mentioned in the report of General McClernand as follows:

"The splendid practice of Lamphire's and Foster's batteries disabled two of the enemy's guns, and contributed largely to this success."

They were in the engagement at Champion Hill on the 16th., then on the 17th., assisted in driving the Confederates from the Black River Bridge. On the 19th., they arrived in the rear of Vicksburg, being among the first to commence the attack on that place. They participated actively in the siege, shelling the southern works in the city daily, then was present at the surrender of the city on the 4th. of July.

Taking part in the movement on Jackson, they were engaged in skirmishes of the 8th., 9th., and 10th., then on the 11th., took position before the fortifications at Jackson, from which they assisted in driving out the rebels. After the evacuation of that place by the rebels, the Battery moved to Vicksburg, remaining there until late in August when they moved to Carrolton, La, where they were stationed during September and October, where Captain Lamphire resigned, and Lieutenant George L. Stillman assumed command.

Moving from Carrolton to New Orleans, they embarked at the latter place on the 13th. of November, 1863, for Bravos Santiago, Texas, where they were then ordered to Arkansas Pass, arriving there on the 20th. Disembarking at St. Joseph Island, they marched toward Fort Esparanza, on Matagora Island, arriving near that point on the 27th. On the 29th., one section of the Battery engaged the Confederates without loss. On the 30th., the Battery encamped near the Fort, where they remained until the 15th. of December, when they crossed Pass Cavillo, encamping on Decrows Point, on the Matagorda Peninsula.

On the 4th. of January, 1864, they proceeded up Matagorda Bay to Indianola, Texas, where they were quartered until the latter part of May. While at Indianola, they were engaged in several skirmishes, but suffered no loss. Proceeding to Fort Esparanza, they camped there until the 13th. of June, when they embarked on a transport, sailing for New Orleans, then on the 19th., disembarked at Carrolton, La.

From this date to the 9th. of October, with the exception of a week at Kennersville, the Battery remained at Carrolton. Sailing on the 9th. for Mobile Bay, arriving at Fort Morgan on the 11th. On the 1st. of November, the Battery was encamped at Navy Cove, Mobile Bay, and was on picket duty, guarding Bayous, near Fort Morgan, until April the 10th., 1865, when they went to the "front", participating in the Siege of Mobile. After the capture of that place, they were ordered to garrison the Bay Battery defenses of Mobile, where they remained until July the 19th., when they were ordered to proceed to Michigan, for muster out and final discharge.

They arrived at Jackson, August 2nd., then on the 6th., were paid off and disbanded.

During their term of Federal service, they were engaged at:

Grand Gulf,Ms Vicksburg,Ms Arkansas Post,Ar Champion Hill,Ms
Chickasaw Bayou,Ms Fort Esperanza,Tx Jackson,Ms Tazewell,Tn
Port Gibson,Ms Cany Bottom,Ky

Total Enrollment--318
Died of Wounds--2
Died of Disease--41
Killed in Action--2
Total Casualty Rate--14.1%

Previous Page