1st Michigan Light Artillery

Battery H
("De Golyer's Battery")


The recruiting and rendezvous of Battery "H" was at Monroe, they were raised together with the 15th. Michigan Infantry, although they did nor take to the field with that regiment. They were mustered into the service of the United States on March 6, 1862, with the following officers: Captain Major F. Lockwood, of Spaulding. First Lieutenant Augustus Spencer, Port Huron. First Lieutenant William H. Whisson, Detroit. Second Lieutenant Theodorus W. Lockwood, Pontiac and Lieutenant Steven P. Savoy, home town not listed.

They then moved to New Madrid, Mo. Attached to Artillery Division, Army of the Mississippi, to July, 1862. District of Columbus, Ky., Dept. of the Tennessee, to November, 1862. Artillery, 3rd Division, Right Wing 13th Army Corps (Old), Dept. of the Tennessee, to December, 1862. Artillery, 3rd Division, 17th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee, to October, 1864. Post of Chattanooga, Tenn., Dept. of the Cumberland, October, 1864. Post of Nashville, Tenn., Dept. of the Cumberland, to February, 1865. Post of Chattanooga, Tenn., Dept. of the Cumberland, to July, 1865.

The Battery left the State, March the 13th., under the command of Captain Samuel De Golyer, of Hudson, who had been commissioned in place of Captain Lockwood. They moved with orders to report to General Halleck, at St. Louis, Missouri, from where, they moved to New Madrid, serving during the Siege of Island No. 10, then during October were on duty at Columbus, Kentucky. Leaving Columbus in November, the Battery was engaged in the various movements in Western Tennessee and Northern Mississippi, during November and December, 1862, and January, 1863. In January they were at Holly Springs, Coldwater, Davis Mill's and Moscow. On the 19th., they arrived at Memphis, Tennessee, whence they proceeded to Lake Providence. During March and April they were stationed at Lake Providence, Milliken's Bend, and other points on the Mississippi River, near Vicksburg, taking an active part in the Campaign in Mississippi preceding the Siege of Vicksburg.

At Thompson's Hills, Ms, May 1st., they first encountered southern forces, then at Raymond, May 12th., where they received much favorable comment on its rapid and effective fire. Greeley, in his "American Conflict", on noticing the battle of Raymond, makes the following mention of the gallant and valuable services rendered by the Battery in that affair:

"The fight here was a short one. The rebels opened with great fury, attempting to charge and capture De Golyer's battery, which was in position in our front, but being repulsed by a terrific fire of grape and cannister, they broke and fled precipitately".

The following extract from the "Rebellion Record" still further credits the Battery for excellent and gallant service on the occasion referred to:

"Shortly after the opening of the fight, Captain De Golyer's Battery (8th. Michigan), was ordered to the front, and took a commanding position for the purpose of dislodging the enemy from the woods, the infantry having proven itself inadequate to the task. The James rifled guns of De Golyer's Battery opened, and commenced poring a heavy fire of shell into the rebel columns. The enemy, now, for the first time, opened artillery on us. His aim was good, succeeding in making our infantry change position. But his purpose was to silence the 8th. Michigan Battery, and he failed in that. Finding it impossible to silence the guns with the artillery, the rebels attempted a charge upon the Battery. A regiment of men essayed the hazardous undertaking. While they were removing a fence, preparatory to making the decisive dash, the Battery opened on them. Our men fired two shots into their midst, both of which burst among them, killing and wounding a large number, and causing the entire column to fall back in disorder. At their inglorious withdrawal our infantry sent up a few rousing cheers, which had the effect of accelerating the speed of the fugitives, and inspiring our whole command with a new zeal and determination to press forward to a victory of which they felt certain, even when the fortunes of the day seemed to turn against them. The rebels, defeated in their attempt to capture our battery, found themselves compelled to fall back to a position immediately in the rear of Farnden's Creek." Historian Lossing says:

"During the battle of Raymond, Mississippi, the Confederates fought from the woods in which they were largely concealed, but their fire was drawn by Logan's Brigade advancing toward their cover, when De Golyer's 8th. Michigan Battery opened fire to dislodge them, this drew the fire of the rebel batteries for the first time. Finding it impossible to silence the Michigan guns, the enemy dashed forward to capture them, but were repulsed with heavy loss by two shells from the battery that burst among the advancing column, when they fled beyond a creek, and reforming. McPherson ordered an advance, when a severe conflict ensued, ending in a gallant bayonet charge which broke their line, driving them from the creek in great disorder, thus ending the battle which had lasted about three hours."

The Battery participated in the fight at Champion Hill, then the Battery rendered service in numerous skirmishes. On the 19th. of May they arrived in the rear of Vicksburg, participating actively in the seige of that stronghold. In the actions mentioned, and during the seige, the Battery lost one killed and seven wounded. Including Captain De Golyer, who received a wound, which caused his death on the following 8th. of August.

On October 14th., 1863, the Battery, then commanded by Lieutenant Marcus D. Elliot, started from Vicksburg, where they had been stationed, on a scout towards Big Black, reaching there on the 15th., then on the 16th., opened upon the rebels at Brownsville, driving them from their position, and on the 17th., followed the southern forces for some distance, on the 20th., they again reached Vicksburg. They again marched for the Big Black River on November 8th., reaching it the same day, then encamped, returning to Vicksburg in March, 1864, having encountered the rebels at Clinton in February. While at the Big Black, 36 members reenlisted as veterans on January 1st., then returned to Michigan on furlough, rejoining the Battery again in due time.

In April following, the Battery moved via the Mississippi River to Cairo, thence entered on the Atlanta Campaign, and up to September 1, 1864, had, under the command of Captain Elliot, met the Confederates in Georgia at Big Shanty, June 14th., Kenesaw Mountain, June 27th., Nickajack Creek, July 22nd, and was engaged in the Siege of Atlanta from that date until the 25th. of August, then were in the engagements at Jonesboro, August 31st., then the next day at Lovejoy's Station.

In September the Battery was at Atlanta, and on the following October 31st., were at Chattanooga, where they remained until November 15th., when they left for Nashville, arriving there on the 18th. They were on duty at that point until February 15, 1865, when they returned to Chattanooga, arriving there on the 19th., where for the balance of the month and the months of March and April, were employed in building quarters. The Battery continued at that point until they received orders to proceed to Michigan for muster out, arriving at Jackson on the 4th. of July, then on the 22nd. were paid off and disbanded.

During their term of Federal service, they were engaged at:

Clinton,Ms Kenesaw,Ga Lovejoy's Station,Ga
Brownsville,Ms Big Shanty,Ga Nickajack Creek,Ga
Peach Tree,Ga Jackson,Ms Champion Hill,Ms
Jonesboro,Ga Atlanta,Ga
Vicksburg,Ms Thompson's Hills,Ms

SERVICE.--Operations against Island No. 10, Mississippi River, March 15-April 8, 1862. Expedition down the Mississippi River to Fort Pillow, Tenn., May 19-23. Duty in District of Columbus, Ky., until November. Expedition from Columbus, Ky., to Covington, Durhamsville and Fort Randolph September 28-October 5. Grant's Central Mississippi Campaign November 2, 1862, to January 10, 1863. Reconnaissance from Lagrange November 8-9, 1862. Moved to Memphis, Tenn., January, 1863; thence to Lake Providence, La., February 22. Duty there and at Milliken's Bend, La., until April 25. Movement on Bruinsburg and turning Grand Gulf April 25-30. Battle of Thompson's Hill, Port Gibson, Miss., May 1. South Fork, Bayou Pierrie, May 2. Forty Hills and Hankinson's Ferry May 3-4. Battles of Raymond May 12, Jackson May 14, and Champion's Hill May 16. Siege of Vicksburg, Miss., May 18-July 4. Assaults on Vicksburg May 19 and 22. Surrender of Vicksburg July 4. Duty at Vicksburg until February, 1864. Expedition to Monroe, La., August 20-September 2, 1863. Expedition to Canton October 14-20. Bogue Chitto Creek October 17. Duty at Big Black November 8, 1863, to February, 1864. Meridian Campaign February 3-March 2. Clinton February 5. Meridian February 14-15. Moved to Clifton, Tenn., April; thence march to Ackworth, Ga., May 5-June 8. Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign June 8-September 8. Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2. Assault on Kenesaw June 27. Nickajack Creek July 2-5. Howell's Ferry July 5. Chattahoochie River July 5-17. Leggett's (or Bald Hill) July 20-21. Battle of Atlanta July 22. Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25. Flank movement on Jonesboro August 25-30. Battle of Jonesboro August 31-September 1. Lovejoy Station September 2-6. Duty near Atlanta rill October. Reconnaissance from Rome, on Cave Springs Road, and skirmishes October 12-13. Guard Railroad near Chattanooga, Tenn., until November. Moved to Nashville, Tenn., November 15-18, and duty there until February, 1865. Battle of Nashville December 15-16, 1864 (Reserve). Moved to Chattanooga February 16-19, 1865, and duty there until July. Ordered to Jackson, Mich.. and there mustered out July 22, 1865.

Total Enrollment--325
Died of Disease--39
Died of Wounds--2
Killed in Action--3
Total Casualty Rate--13.5%

Previous Page