25th Regiment Michigan Infantry














It was found, after the organization of the several Congressional District Regiments had been completed, that more companies had been offered than had been provided for, so the 25th. was constituted from the surplus. It was ordered into rendezvous at Kalamazoo, H.G.Wells, being made commandant of the camp. Colonel Moore, then a Captain in the U.S. Regulars, who had been Lieutenant Colonel of the Thirteenth Michigan, was appointed its Colonel, under whose direction it had been drilled and disciplined, who also led it into the field.

On the 22nd. of September 1862, the Regiment was mustered into the service of the United States. Before the Regiment left Kalamazoo for the front, a silk flag was presented by the Honorable H.G. Wells, on behalf of the citizens of that place. The flag was a regulation standard, with the inscription "This flag is given in faith that it will be carried where honor and duty leads." It was first given the breeze at Green River, Kentucky, on the morning of July 4,1863, where the Regiment, with less than 350 men, acquired an enviable reputation for a gallant defence, repulsing the attack of John Morgan with 3000 men.

On the 29th. of September 1862, it moved from Kalamazoo under orders to report to Louisville, its muster showing a strength of 896 officers and men. The Regiment was stationed at this point until December the 8th., when it was ordered to Munfordsville where it became engaged in a skirmish with the Confederates on the 27th. Thence it moved to Bowling Green, January 8th., where it was employed on provost and picket duty and guarding trains until March 26th., when it proceeded to Lebanon, taking part with the troops General Manson, in pursuit of the Confederates under General Pegram. The southerners having been driven from Kentucky, the Regiment returned to Lebanon, arriving there April 3rd., thence proceeded to Louisville, where it was assigned provost and guard duty. June the 10th., five companies, "D", "E", "F", "I" and "K" under the command of Colonel Moore, returned to Lebanon, thence marched on to Green River Bridge, near Columbia. Here these companies repulsed the attack of thousands of Confederates, performing gallantly in the repulse of Morgan's men. A jocular foot note of this action was a letter from the defeated Morgan to Colonel Moore "promoting him to the rank of Brigadier General".

At the time these companies of the 25th. were ordered from Louisville, Colonel Moore was Provost Marshal of that city. His administration of affairs, although faithfully rendered, were not agreeable to the large rebel element of the time, bringing down on the Colonel the disapproval of a large segment of the citizens,together with the Louisville Journal, which attacked him most severely. It was also said openly at the time, that influences were brought about, that led to his commanding the 5 companies sent to Green River, with a view to placing him in a position that capture was probable. If this is a fact, his gallant defence of that place, when so overwhelmingly outnumbered, and which, as has been acknowledged, saved Louisville from sack, the Louisville Journal included, was a merited rebuke to his enemy's in that city.

The companies that had remained at Louisville, joined the rest of the Regiment at Lebanon, then commenced the march with the 1st. Brigade,1st.Division of the 23rd. Corp over the mountains into Eastern Tennesse, camping at Louden,TN on October 31st.

Marching from its camp on November 9,1863, under the command of Captain Demarest, the Regiment participated in the defence of Kingston, then on to Mossy Creek, where it was engaged, then commenced the retreat to Knoxville with the rest of the army, arriving there on the 21st. of January., remaining there until the 4th. of May, when re-equipped they moved west to join the Georgia Campaign.

During the march south, the Regiment engaged the Confederates at Tunnel Hill on May 7th., Rocky Face on the 9th. Resaca the 14th., also the engagements of the army to the Seige of Atlanta.

After Atlanta fell, they moved on Decatur, remaining there until the army set out into Western Tennesse in pursuit of the Confederates under General Hood, moving to threaten Nashville.

Then under the command of Colonel Orcutt, the Regiment marched over 1000 miles through Georgia and Tennessee, being associated with all of the movements of the army. Arriving at Nashville on December the 8th., they took an active role in the defence of the city, losing 1 man killed, with 7 wounded, marching then to Columbia, thence to Clifton, to go by steamer to Cincinnati, to board trains for Washington. From there again on steamers to North Carolina, to join General Schofields Army in the pursuit of General Johnston's army.

After the surrender of the Confederate army, the Regiment was sent to Salisbury to be mustered out on the 24th. of June, then sent by rail to Michigan, arriving at Jackson on the 2nd. of July where they were paid off and disbanded.

During their term of federal service, they were engaged at:

Duty at Louisville, Ky., until December 9, 1862. Moved to Munfordsville December 9, and duty there until January 8, 1863. Operations against Morgan December 22, 1862, to January 2, 1863. Action at Bacon Creek, near Munfordsville, December 26, 1862. Moved to Bowling Green, Ky., January 8, 1863, and duty there until March 26. Moved to Lebanon, Ky., March 26, and operations against Pegram's forces March 26-April 3. Provost and guard duty at Louisville until August. (Cos. "D," "E," "F," "I" and "K" moved to Lebanon June 10, thence to Green River Bridge. Action at Green River Bridge, Tebb's Bend. July 4. Successfully repulse Gen. John Morgan and his command of 4,000 with a loss of 50 killed and 200 wounded.) Moved to Lebanon, Ky., August 17. Burnside's Campaign in East Tennessee August 17-October 17. March over Cumberland Mountains to Knoxville, Tenn., August 17-September 4. Duty at Loudon until November 9. Knoxville Campaign November 4-December 23. Moved to Kingston November 9, and duty there until December 4. Repulse of Wheeler's attack on Kingston November 24. Near Kingston December 4. March to Mossy Creek December 4-27. Action at Mossy Creek, Talbot Station, December 29. Duty at Mossy Creek until January 18, 1864. Moved to Knoxville January 18-21 and duty there until February 24. Advance to Morristown February 24-March 12. To Mossy Creek March 18 thence march to Red Clay, Ga., March 25-May 4. Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May 4-September 8. Demonstrations on Dalton May 9-13. Battle of Resaca May 14-15. Advance on Dallas May 18-25. Operations on line of Pumpkin Vine Creek and battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 25-June 5. Pickett's Mills May 27. Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2. Lost Mountain June 15-17. Muddy Creek June 17. Noyes' Creek June 19. Kolb's Farm June 22. Assault on Kenesaw June 27. Nickajack Creek July 2-5. Chattahoochie River July 5-17. Decatur July 19. Howard House July 20. Battle of Atlanta July 22. Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25. Utoy Creek August 5-7. Flank movement on Jonesboro August 25-30. Lovejoy Station September 2-6. Pursuit of Hood into Alabama October 4-26. Moved to Johnsonville, Tenn., November 2-5, thence to Centreville and guard fords of Duck River until November 28. Battle of Franklin November 30. Battle of Nashville December 15-16. Pursuit of Hood to the Tennessee River December 17-28. At Clifton, Tenn., until January 16, 1865. Moved to Washington, D.C., thence to Fort Fisher, N. C., January 16-February 15. Fort Anderson February 18-19. Town Creek February 19-20. Capture of Wilmington February 22. Campaign of the Carolinas March 1-April 26. Advance on Goldsboro March 6-21. Occupation of Goldsboro March 21. Advance on Raleigh April 10-14. Occupation of Raleigh April 14. Bennett's House April 26. Surrender of Johnston and his army. Duty at Sailsbury, N. C., until June. Mustered out June 24, 1865.

Total Enrollment--968
Killed in Action--22
Died of Wounds--13
Died of Disease--129
Total Casualty Rate--16.9%

Previous Page