135th Pennsylvania Infantry



Field & Staff

Organized at Harrisburg August, 1862. Moved to Washington, D.C., August 19. Attached to Military District of Washington, D.C., until February, 1863. 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to May, 1863.

SERVICE.--Provost duty at Washington and Georgetown until February, 1863. Joined the Army of the Potomac and duty at Falmouth and Belle Plains, Va., until April 27. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Operations at Pollock's Mill Creek April 29-May 2. Fitzhugh's Crossing April 29-30. Battle of Chancellorsville May 2-5. Mustered out May 24, 1863.

Regiment lost during service 37 Enlisted men by disease.

Companies C, E, H, and K, of this regiment, were from Lancaster county, A, D, and I, from Indiana, F, and G, from Westmoreland, and B, from Jefferson. They rendezvoused at Camp Curtin, where a regimental organization was effected on the 19th of August, 1862, with the following field officers:
On the same evening the regiment moved for Washington, and upon its arrival reported to General Wadsworth, in command of the department, who assigned it to provost guard duty, by detachments, in the city and in Georgetown, where it remained until the 16th of February, 1863.

In the meantime, the field officers performed special duty, Colonel Porter acting as President of a General Court Martial, Lieutenant Colonel M'Culloch as commandant of Capitol Hill, and Major Shenk as officer in charge of State prisoners, and prisoners of war, while on their way between Washington and Aiken's Landing, for exchange, and subsequently as commandant of the Soldiers' Retreat, in Washington. Colonel Porter made repeated applications to have his regiment sent to the front, but without success. Finally, on the 16th of February, when General Wadsworth joined the Army of the Potomac, the scattered detachments were united, and it proceeded to Belle Plain, where it was assigned to the First Brigade, Third Division, First Corps, the brigade being for a time under the command of Colonel Porter.

Until the opening of the Chancellorsville campaign, it was engaged in guard and picket duty. On the 28th of April, the corps moved up near to the Rappahannock River, at Pollock's Mills, below Fredericksburg. Shortly after dark, Colonel Porter moved his regiment close to the bank, in support of batteries, where he disposed his men as sharp-shooters. On the following morning the enemy opened fire, which was vigorously answered, the regiment losing three wounded.

On the 2d of May, the corps marched away to join the army under Hooker, now hotly engaged near Chancellorsville, leaving the regiment still in support of the artillery. Upon being relieved, it hastened forward and re-joined the corps at the front, where it was thrown out to cover the front of the brigade. While upon this duty, it suffered some loss by capture. After the battle, it returned to its camp at Belle Plain, where it remained until the expiration of its term of service. This regiment was composed of good material, and was well officered. 

On being relieved at the front, it returned to Harrisburg, where, on the 24th of May, it was mustered out of service.


Bates, Samuel P. History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-65, Harrisburg, 1868-1871.

Previous Page