Field & Staff
Organized at Philadelphia for 100 days July 20, 1864. Moved to Baltimore, Md., July 27. Attached to 3rd Separate Brigade, 8th Corps, to August, 1864. Moved to Camp Douglas, Chicago, Ill., August, and duty there guarding prisoners until November, Company "H" on provost at Springfield, Ill., August 26 to November. Mustered out November 17, 1864.
Regiment lost during service 10 by disease.
This regiment was recruited under the auspices of the Union League
Association of Philadelphia, to serve for one hundred days, and was known as the
Fifth Union League Regiment. It was organized at Camp Cadwalader, near the city,
on the 20th of July, 1864, and a week later proceeded to Camp Bradford, at
Mankin's Woods, near Baltimore. About the middle of August, it moved by rail to
Chicago, Illinois, where it was employed in guarding Camp Douglass, in which was
confined a large number of prisoners of war. On the 26th, company H was detached
from the regiment and sent to Springfield, Illinois, where, until the expiration
of its term of service, it performed provost duty. The regiment returned to
Philadelphia, early in November, and upon its arrival, was ordered to temporary
duty at Fort Delaware, whither it immediately proceeded. It was mustered out of
service at Philadelphia, on the 17th of November, 1864.
The regiment was attached to 3rd Separate Brigade, 8th Corps. Regiment lost 10 by disease during service .
Source for history & rosters: History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers 1861-1865; prepared in Compliance With Acts of the Legislature, by Samuel P. Bates, A Member of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania. Volume V, Harrisburg: B. Singerly, State Printer. 1871.