1st Pennsylvania Infantry (3 months)

Roster

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

K

Field & Staff---Band

On the 13th day of April, 1861, two days previous to the call of the President for troops, citizens of Northampton county called a public meeting at Easton, to consider the posture of affairs. and to take measures for the support of the National Government. A great concourse gathered in the public square, composed of men, women and children, all filled with anxiety and fearful apprehension as they discussed the result of the popular outbreak. Eloquent speeches were made, which stirred the feelings of patriotism, and the call for volunteers was answered by the cheers of young and old. At this, and subsequent meetings, four volunteer companies were organized by Captains Yohe, Bell, Heckman and Dachradt. On the 15th of April, two days after the first meeting, and on the day of the President's call, the services of these companies were offered to, and accepted by the Governor. On the 18th, the volunteers left their homes and families, unarmed and without uniforms or equipments, and proceeded to Harrisburg. On the 20th of April the First Pennsylvania regiment of volunteer militia for the service of the National Government was organized by the choice of the following officers: Samuel Yohe, of Easton, from Captain of company C, Colonel; Tilghman H. Good, of Allentown, Lieutenant Colonel; Thomas W. Lynn, Major; James Miltimore was designated, by Colonel Yohe, as Adjutant. The regiment, thus organized, consisted of companies lettered, recruited, and mustered into service, as indicated at the head of the several company rolls. An excellent band of music, from Lancaster city, numbering sixteen pieces, under the leadership of Daniel Clemens, was also attached to the regiment. Previous to the receipt of marching orders, the men were furnished with muskets and muslin haversacks, and provided with hard tack and bacon, and about twelve rounds of ball cartridge, which, for want of cartridge boxes, were carried in their pockets. On the night of the 20th of April, the regiment, under the command of Brigadier General George C. Wynkoop, left Harrisburg, and proceeded to a point near Cockeysville, on the Northern Central railroad. This movement was made with the design of protecting the bridges on this road, and eventually of opening communication with Washington, which, since the passage of the Massachusetts troops, had been broken. But, upon the representation of leading public men of Maryland, that a military occupation, and a resort to violent measures, at this time, might precipitate a collision, and lead to the secession of the State, the authorities ordered* a retrograde movement, and on the following Monday evening, the command retired to Camp Scott, near the town of York. *This order was the result of a conference between Mayor Brown and three of his friends, of Baltimore, and the President and General Scott, wherein it was agreed, by the latter, that these troops should be withdrawn, and was issued accordingly.

Organized at Harrisburg April 20, 1861. Moved to Cockeysville on Northern Central Railroad April 20; thence to Camp Scott, near York, Pa., and duty there until May 14. Guard Northern Central Railroad, near Baltimore, May 14-25, and Harper's Ferry Road May 25-June 3. Moved to Catonsville, Md., May 25; to Franklintown May 29, and to Chambersburg, Pa., June 3. Expedition to Rockville, Md., June 10-July 7. Attached to Wyncoop's 2nd Brigade, Keim's 2nd Division, Patterson's Army. Duty at Hagerstown and Funkstown, Goose Creek, Edward's Ferry, June 18. At Frederick June 22, and at Martinsburg, Va., July 8-21. Moved to Harper's Ferry July 21. Mustered out July 27, 1861.

Previous Page