Field & Staff
Organized at Philadelphia and mustered in April 23, 1861. Moved to Baltimore, Md., May 17. Duty near Fort McHenry, Locust Point, Patterson's Park and Mt. Clair until August. Mustered out August 7, 1861.
arrested, and in anticipation of trouble from a portion of the populace, sympathizing with secession, five companies of the Twenty-second were detailed for duty in the central part of the city, where they were kept about ten days.Previous to the rebellion, the Philadelphia Light Guard was a uniformed militia regiment, and held, in the State organization, the place of First regiment 3d Brigade of the 1st Division. It was formed in the summer of 1857, with seven companies, three hundred strong, by the choice of the following officers:A vacancy, oceasioned by the death of Major M'Manus, was filled by the election of A. J. M'Neil, and upon his resignation, by the election of George P. M'Lean.
- Turner G. Morehead, Colonel
- William L. Curry, Lieutenant Colonel
- John M'Manus, Major
- Asher S. Leidy, Adjutant
On the 14th of April, 1861, the regiment, or battalion, then consisting of the original companies, with two hundred and fifty men, was accepted by the Governor, and ordered to recruit, which immediately commenced at the Arsenal, Sixteenth and Filbert streets, and in a few days ten companies were fully organized, and filled to the maximum strength. The regiment had no single camp of rendezvous, but was quartered, until it left Philadelphia, one company at the Arsenal, Filbert street; three at the regimental Headquarters, Commonwealth building, Chestnut street; one at the corner of Ninth and Chestnut streets; three in the church in Crown street, above Race; one at the Fairmount Engine house, Ridge avenue; and one in the vicinity of Eleventh and Girard avenue.
In the new organization, the field officers were continued in the rank which they had severally held in the militia.
The regiment was daily drilled in heavy infantry tactics at Logan Square, and was soon brought under excellent discipline. About the middle of May it was ordered to Baltimore, where, upon its arrival, it reported to Major General George Cadwalader, then in command of the city, with Headquarters at Fort M'Henry, and was placed in camp at Locust Point. Remaining but a short time, it removed to Patterson's Park, and finally to Mount Clare, where it remained until the end of its term of service.
Soon after its arrival in Baltimore, General Cadwalader was superseded in command of the Department by Major General N. P. Banks. On the 1st of July, General Banks caused the members of the Board of Police Commissioners to be
One company was also detailed to guard a magazine in the city, where it was continued until the close of its term of service. On several occasions, detachments of the regiment were employed in seizing large quantities of arms and ammunition secreted in different parts of the city in the possession of suspected parties. In the discharge of these duties, the command was not molested, and during the remainder of its term was not called into more active service. It was mustered out at Philadelphia on the 7th of August, 1861. A large proportion of its members re-enlisted for the war in the Ninety-ninth, One Hundred and Sixth and other Pennsylvania regiments.
Sources: Bates, Samuel P. History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-65, Harrisburg, 1868-1871.