Logans Guards
Recruited at Lewistown.

Mustered into service, at Harrisburg, April 18, 1861

John B. Selheimer-Captain Files, Abraham Nurse, Thomas A.
Thomas M. Hulings-First Lieutenant Ferrer, Joseph Bingham Nail, John A.
Robert W. Patton-Second Lieutenant Freeborn, George M. Price, James
Joseph A. Mathews-First Sergeant Fessler, Daniel Printz, Henry
Joseph S. Waream-Second Sergeant Fowler, Owen M. Postlethwait, John M.
Henry A. Eisenbise-Third Sergeant Hart, George Rothrock, Bronson
William B. Weber-Fourth Sergeant Hughes, John Rager, James N.
Elias W. Eisenbise-First Corporal Hunter, John T. Sterrett, Francis R.
Porter P. Butts-Second Corporal Henry, James W. Sterrett, James X.
John Nolte-Third Corporal Irwin, William H. Sherwood, William
Frederick Hart-Fourth Corporal Jones, John W. Shull, Chauncey M.
Samuel G. M'Laughlin-Musician Jackson, James M. Smith, E. Augustus
Joseph W. Postlethwait-Musician Kauffman, John S. Smith, Theodore B.
William Hopper-Musician Kinkade, Thomas Scott, Nathaniel W.
Alexander, Jesse J. Kaiser, Henry F. Smith, James P.
Burns, James D. Loff, George J. Stahl, Charles W.
Bowsum, William H. Langton, John S. Snyder, George A.
Benner, William E. Laub, Charles E. Snyder, Lucien T.
Betts, Robert Link, Elias W. Tice, Gideon M.
Cooper, William R. M'Ewen, William T Uttly, Thomas M.
Cowden, William Mitchell, William G. Wasson, David
Cole, Emanuel M'Cay, William F. Wentz, Franklin H.
Comfort, Henry Marks, Samuel B. Waters, Gilbert
Cogley, Jeremiah Miller, John S. Weber, David B.
Comfort, Samuel Miller, Joseph A. Walters, Henry G.
D'Armit, Franklin M'Knew, William Wertz, David
Dewees, Thomas W. Mathews, Robert A. White, George
Elberty, George W. M'Kee, John A. Winterod, Philip
Eckebarger, James B. Morton, Robert D. Zeigler, Edwin E.
Elberty, W. Asbury M'Laughlin, Samuel G.  
Freeborn, William H. Nelson, William A.  
Fichthorn, Joseph A. Nelson, Robert

History of Pennsylvania Volunteers 1861-65. By: Samuel P. Bates.  Vol.1 Page 9




From the History of the Juniata and Susquehanna Valleys,

with notes by William F. McCay.

Logan Guards.

This Company had been formed and organized in 1858, at Lewistown, through the efforts and influence of a number of the citizens of the place, prominent among whom are mentioned Robert W. Patten, Frank Sterrett, J. Ard Matthews, William B. Weber, George W. Gibson and Jacob F. Hamaker, under whose call and invitation two public meetings were held at the town hall, and at the second of these, held August 7, 1858, a committee, previously appointed for that purpose, submitted the constitution and by-laws of the Logan Guards, which were then adopted and signed by the following named original members of the company, which afterwards became so famous:

J. A. Mathews Charles W. Stahl
 R. W. Patton F. R. Sterrett
 Elias W. Eisenbise George A. Freeburn
 W. B. Weber James Price
 D. B. Weber William F. McCay
 Bronsen Rothrock Edwin E. Zeigler
 George W. Elberty Wm. G. Mitchell
 Thomas M. Hulings Robert D. Morton
 Joseph Stidle John Hughes
 S. G. McLaughlin Wm. A. Nelson
 John A. McKee Joseph A. Miller
 T. M. Uttley Thomas A. Nimon
 R. B. F. Hoover J. M. Postlethwait
 John Nolte Emanuel Cole
 David Wasson John T. Hunter
 Richard C. Parker James M. Jackson
 J. F. Hamaker Liicien T. Snyder
 William Hopper Owen M. Fowler
 J. B. Selheimer Samuel Comfort
 Henry Walters John Spiece
 P. P. Butts John Swan
 C. M. Shull S. Mitchell Riden
 Franklin Dearmcnt James Yeamans
 George Hart Frank Heisler
 Fred Hart James P. Smith

Immediately following the signing of the constitution an election was held, which resulted in the unanimous choice of John B. Selheimer as captain, Thomas W. Hulings first lieutenant, John Sigler second lieutenant and John Swan third lieutenant, with the following noncommissioned officers and musicians: First sergeant, H. A. Eisenbise ; second sergeant, J. S. Waream ; third sergeant, J. A. Mathews ; fourth sergeant, J. F. Hamaker; first corporal, E. W. Eisenbise ; second corporal, P. P. Butts; third corporal, J. M. Nolte ; fourth corporal, F. Hart ; fifers, S. G. McLaughlin and I. F. Cogley ; tenor drummers, Thos. Elberty and I. Boggs ; bass drummer, John Spiece; color-bearer, Mitchell Riden.

The company, thus organized, at once gave strict attention to matters of military discipline, including squad and company drills, which were held nearly every night in an unfurnished brick building on Logan street, which had been intended for a church, but which was secured as an armory and drill room. In these drills the officers were kindly assisted by Captain Henry Zollinger, an accomplished drill officer, who had been captain of a company at Newport, Perry county, and who subsequently commanded a company of the famous Forty-ninth Pennsylvania in the Rebellion, and also by Captain (afterward General) William H. Irwin, who had served in the Mexican War, in command of the Juniata Guards of Mifflin county.

The company having preserved its organization, and, to a great extent, its esprit du corps, and being thus in a condition to be rapidly recruited and made ready for actual duty in the field, its services were tendered in advance by Captain Selheimer to Governor Curtin, in anticipation of the emergency that arose immediately afterwards, so that when, on the i6th of April, the message came from the Governor, accepting the company and ordering it forward, its ranks were filled by recruitment in a single hour, and in the evening of the same day marched across the Juniata to the Pennsylvania Railroad, by which, after a few hours of waiting for the trains, it was transported to Harrisburg, where it arrived early on the morning of the 17th, and was joined by the four other volunteer companies, viz. : the Ringgold Light Artillery, of Reading; the Washington Artillery and National Light Infantry, of Pottsville, and the Allen Rifles, of Allentown ; in all, five hundred and thirty soldiers of Pennsylvania, on their way to the defense of the capital of the nation.

On the following morning (Thursday, April 18, 1861) these companies were mustered into the service of the United States for three months by Captain Seneca G. Simmons, of the Seventh Regular Infantry, and immediately afterwards left Harrisburg for Baltimore, Md., by a railway train, on which was also a detachment of about fifty men of the Fourth (Regular) Artillery, from one of the Western posts, and bound for Fort McHenry, in Baltimore harbor. This detachment was under command of Lieutenant Pemberton, afterward the Confederate lieutenant general, who commanded, and finally surrendered, the stronghold of Vicksburg, Miss.

On arriving at Baltimore they found the streets of that city (through which it was necessary for them to march nearly two miles on their way to the Warrington depot) filled and blockaded by a large and excited mob of men, who were ready, at a word, to make as bloody and brutal an attack on them as the same mob made on the Sixth Massachusetts Regiment in their march through the city on the following day. The companies, however, promptly left the train on arrival, and were formed in battalion in the following order : The detachment of regulars on the right; next, the Logan Guards; then the Allen Rifles, the Washington Artillery and the National Light Infantry, with the Ringgold Light Artillery as a rear guard. "As the column was forming, near Bolton Station, the police of Baltimore appeared in large force, headed by Marshal Kane, and followed by a mob, who at once commenced an attack on the volunteers, countenanced by a portion of the police sent to give safe conduct through the city. Orders were given to the men to preserve their temper and make no reply to anything that should be said to them. At the command "forward" the mob commenced hooting, jeering and yelling, and proclaimed, with oaths, that the troops should not pass through their city to fight the South.

"Arriving near the centre of the city, Pemberton, with his regulars, filed off toward Fort McHenry, leaving the volunteers to pursue their way through the city as best they could. At this juncture the mob were excited to a perfect frenzy, breaking the line of the police. and pushing through the files of men, in an attempt to break the column. Every insult that could be heaped upon the troops was offered, but no word of reply was elicited, the officers and men marching steadily on toward Camden Station. At every step the mob increased, until it numbered thousands of the most determined and desperate rebels of the war.

"The Logan Guard was armed with thirty-four Springfield muskets, which had been drawn from the national armory on a requisition from the Adjutant General of Pennsylvania at the time of its organization, in 1858, and thirty-four of their number, carrying them, were uniformed precisely like the regulars. The officers and some of the men wore revolvers at their sides, well loaded. Aside from these, there was not a charge of powder in the five companies; but one of the men of the Logan Guards, happening to have a box of percussion caps in his pocket, had previously distributed them to his comrades, and the thirty-four muskets of the Guards were capped, and carried, half-cocked, at a support arms, creating the impression in the mob that these muskets were loaded, and would be used against them if they attempted an assault." It was believed that this little ruse of capping the unloaded muskets awed the mob and prevented a bloody conflict between them and the soldiers.

Finally the Pennsylvania companies reached the Camden Station, where they at once took the train for Washington, and at 7 o'clock the same evening reached the city and, by order of Major Irwin McDowell (who had assumed command of the troops on their arrival), marched to and occupied the Capitol building, which they at once proceeded to strengthen by barricades.

"The night of the i8th passed quietly away, and at daybreak of the 19th the morning report of the Logan Guard, officially signed, was handed by the first sergeant of the company to Adjutant General Thomas, that officer remarking that it was the first official volunteer report received."

On their arrival at the Capitol the men of the Pennsylvania companies were armed, equipped and provided with ammunition, and they continued to occupy the building eleven days, at the end of which time the Logan Guard and the two Pottsville companies were ordered to Fort Washington, located fourteen miles below the city, on the Maryland side of the Potomac, nearly opposite the Washington mansion and tomb at Mount Vernon.  The fort was commanded by Brevet Major J. A. Haskin, a one-armed veteran of the Mexican War, and under him, at this post, the three volunteer companies remained on duty through all the remainder of their term of service.

In the intense excitement which everywhere prevailed from the time of the marching of these first five companies, it appears that the State authorities forgot or overlooked the right of these companies to be assigned to and designated as the First Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteers, and it was not until two hundred and forty other companies of later date had been organized and assigned to numerical precedence in the State service that the claims of these "first defenders" were remembered, and they were then organized as a part of the Twenty-fifth Regiment, which was the last of Pennsylvania troops enlisted for the three months' service.  Of this regiment, which was organized before the departure of the companies for Fort Washington, the Logan Guards were designated as E, the color company, Henry L. Cake, of Pottsville, was made colonel; Captain John B. Selheimer, of the Mifflin county company, lieutenant colonel ; and James H. Campbell, of Pottsville, major. By the promotion of Captain Selheimer to the lieutenant colonelcy. Lieutenant Thomas M. Hulings became captain, Frank R. Sterrett first lieutenant and R. W. Patten second lieutenant. Colonel Selheimer joined the regiment, which was then ordered to march, with fifteen days' rations and sixty rounds of ammunition, to join Colonel Charles P. Stone's command, at Rockville, Md. It had been the intention, at the formation of the regiment, to concentrate all its companies, but when the order for the march was issued, it did not include the companies then on duty at the Arsenal and Fort Washington, as it was deemed unwise to remove them; they, therefore, never did a day's duty in the regiment to which they nominally belonged, but remained at the posts to which they had been assigned. "Major Haskins and the efficient officers under him at the fort, worked zealously and kindly with these troops in perfecting them in their duties as soldiers, and so well did they succeed that in the single company of Logan Guards one-half of the number became commissioned officers in various Pennsylvania regiments ; four of the number being brevet brigadier generals, four colonels, four lieutenant colonels, six majors, eighteen captains and thirty-two lieutenants.  Among the privates in the ranks of this company, in their march through Baltimore, was Brigadier General William H. Irwin, who commanded a brigade of General Franklin's corps at Antietam ; Brevet Brigadier General William G. Mitchell, chief of General Hancock's staff; Brevet Brigadier General J. A. Matthews, who commanded the Second Brigade of General Hartranft's division in the Ninth Corps; and Brigadier General Thomas M. Hulings, who was killed while gallantly leading his regiment into the thickest of the Wilderness fight."

After having served about two weeks beyond their term of enlistment, the Lewistown and Pottsville companies left Fort Washington for their homes in Pennsylvania. Of the return of the Logan Guards, one of its members (W. F. McCay, before quoted) says:

"Having been mustered out of the United States service and received our pay in gold, we astonished the citizens of Harrisburg by our soldierly appearance and exemplary conduct. We arrived home safely. The entire population turned out to receive us and we received a perfect ovation. The citizens and the 'Slemmer Guards' received us with all the honors, the members thereof being of the most respectable families. A bounteous and never-to-be-forgotten dinner was provided for us in the Court House, and speeches of welcome were made and responded to, after which we broke ranks and the old Logan Guards ceased to have an organized existence.

"Shortly after the war the survivors formed themselves into an organization called 'The Logan Guards' Association,' Colonel Selheimer being president. Major R. W. Patton vice president, Captain William N. Weber treasurer, Captain Joseph S. Waream secretary. Since the death of Captain Waream the vacancy was filled by the election of the writer as secretary."

The following is the correct list of the officers, noncommissioned officers and privates immediately after Colonel Selheimer had departed to assume command of the regiment as lieutenant colonel. This is copied from the roll in the handwriting of General J. Ard Matthews, deceased, and was the same as handed to Major Plaskins. The record of the different members is also given:

Captain, Thomas M. Hnlings, afterwards colonel Forty-ninth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers ; killed at Spottsylvania Court House, Va. ; body not recovered.

First Lieutenant, F. R. Sterrett, afterward captain Minnesota Volunteers and aid to General Sibley, Minnesota Volunteers, in Indian War, Northwest.

Second Lieutenant, R. W. Patton, afterward major One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers.

Third Lieutenant, William H. Irwin, resigned to accept command of Seventh Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers; afterward colonel Forty-ninth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, and brigadier general.

Henry A. Eisenbise, promoted to third lieutenant; afterward lieutenant Forty-fifth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, and captain Company A (second Logans), Forty-sixth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers ; twice a prisoner of war.

Orderlv Sergeant, Joseph Ard Mathews, afterward captain and major Company A, Forty-sixth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers (second Locans) ; colonel One Hundred and Twenty-eighth Regiment. Pennsylvania Volunteers, and brigadier general Ninth Army Corps; dead.

Second Serjeant, Joseph S. Waream, afterward captain Company K. One Hundred and Thirty-first Regiment. Pennsylvania Volunteers, deceased.

Third Sergeant. William B. Weber, afterward captain Company A, Forty-sixth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers.

Fourth Sergeant. Chauncev M. Shull.

First Corporal. Flias W. H. Eisenbise, afterward captain Company F. One Hundred and Seventh Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers.

Second Corporal, Porter P. Butts.

Third Corporal, John M. Nolte. afterward first sergeant Company A, Forty-sixth Regiment. Pennsylvania Volunteers: promoted to captain; served during the entire war; afterward captain Company G, National Guard of Pennsylvania.

Fourth Corporal, Frederick Hart, sergeant Company F. One Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers; killed in first day's fight at Gettysburg.

Musician, Samuel G. McLaughlin; being a cripple, he was discharged for physical disability; now a resident of Fowler, Mich.; an excellent fifer, his superior has never been found.

Drummers, William Hopper, afterward sergeant Company A, Forty-sixth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers; died from wounds received at Fredericksburg, Va.

Joseph W. Postlethwaite, no record available.

Quartermaster Sergeant, David Wasson.

Commissary Sergeant, William T. McEwen, afterward major First Regiment, Pennsylvania Cavalry, severely wounded in action.


Jesse Alexander, afterward corporal Company C, First Regiment, Pennsylvania Cavalry; died from wounds received in action.

James D. Burns, afterward quartermaster sergeant Company A, Twentieth Regiment, Pennsylvania Cavalry.

William H. Bousum, supposed to be dead.

William E. Benner.

Robert Betts, afterward private Company C, First Regiment, Pennsylvania Cavalry.

William Cowdon. afterward private Forty-sixth Regiment; killed in action.

William R. Cooper, Seventy-sixth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers; wounded in action.

Emanuel Cole, died from exposure on the field.

Harry Comfort.

Jeremiah Cogley, afterward sergeant United States Marines; second lieutenant.

Samuel Comfort.

Frank DeArmint.

Thomas W. Dewees.

George W. Elberty, afterward sergeant major Forty-sixth Regiment. Pennsylvania Volunteers.

James Eckebarger, afterward lieutenant and captain Forty-ninth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers.

Joseph A. Fichthorn, afterward corporal and sergeant Thirty-sixth and Seventy-eighth Regiments, Pennsylvania Volunteers.

George W. Freeburn.

William Butler Freeburn, afterward lieutenant and captain Forty-ninth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers; died from wounds received while laying pontoon bridge at Fredericksburg. He volunteered for this dangerous work.

James William Henry, afterward sergeant in the One Hundred and Nineteenth Pennsylvania Volunteers, Second Bucktails ; wounded at Gettysburg.

John S. KaulTman, One Hundred and Thirty-first Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers.

George I. Loft.

Elias W. Link, Forty-sixth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers ; killed in action.

Samuel B. Marks, afterward second lieutenant Fourth Regiment (emergency), Pennsylvania Militia.

William McKnew, wagon master Fifty-fourth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers.

Robert D. Morton, sergeant in Twenty-second Regiment, Pennsylvania Cavalry; killed in action in Shenandoah Valley.

John A. McKee. afterward captain Fourth Regiment, Pennsylvania Militia.

John S. Miller, afterward lieutenant Forty-fifth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers.

Robert A. Mathews.

Joseph A. Miller.

Thomas D. Nurse, afterward corporal Company A, Forty-sixth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers; killed at Antietam.

William A. Nelson, afterward captain Company K, Thirty-sixth Regiment (emergency), Pennsylvania Militia.

Robert Nelson, afterward private Thirty-sixth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, died and was buried at Charlotteville, Blair County, Pa.

John A. Nale, afterward corporal Company F, One Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers ; killed at battle of South Mountain.

John W. Postlethwaite.

James Xenophon Sterrett, afterward second lieutenant Company D, One Hundred and Seventh Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers.

Charles W. Stahl, deceased.

Thomas M. Utlev, afterward clerk in quartermaster General's office and adjutant Thirty-sixth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers.

David B. Weber, afterward lieutenant Two Hundred and Fifth and One Hundred and Thirty-first Regiments, Pennsylvania Volunteers.

George White, afterward sergeant First Regiment, Pennsylvania Cavalry; died from wounds.

William F. McCay, afterward acting hospital steward. One Hundred and Seventh Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, and sergeant major Fifth Regiment, United States Cavalry.

J. Bingham Farrer, killed by a collision soon after the war.

Owen M. Fowler (printer), afterward captain United States Colored Troops ; died in Shamokin, Pa.

John T. Hunter, afterward captain First Regiment, United States Colored Troops; died from wounds received at Fort Wagner, South Carolina.

James M. Jackson, afterward hospital steward, three months' service, and in the Twelfth United States Infantry, now of Philadelphia.

James N. Roger, a Mexican War veteran ; dead.

Augustus Edward Smith, afterward second sergeant Company F, One Hundred and Seventh Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers; discharged for disability; afterwards first duty sergeant in Twenty-second Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers.

James P. Smith (Sugar Jim), afterward captain Forty-ninth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers.

Theodore Smith, afterward corporal and sergeant in Two Hundred and Fifth and One Hundred and Thirty-first Regiments; sergeant in Third Logan (Company G), Fifth Regiment. National Guards.

Gideon M. Tice, died from disease contracted in the service; member of Hulings Post, Grand Army of the Republic.

Gilbert Waters, afterward lieutenant and captain Ninth Regiment. Pennsylvania Cavalry; killed while leading his squad in a charge at Winchester, Ky.

Abraham Files, afterward a member of the One Hundred and Thirty-first Pennsylvania Volunteers.

Daniel Wertz, died in 1862 of rheumatism contracted in the service.

Edwin E. Zeigler. afterward lieutenant Forty-ninth Regiment. Pennsylvania Volunteers; captain and major One Hundred and Seventh Regiment. Pennsylvania Volunteers ; was made the brevet colonel at the close of the war, and is now general freight and passenger agent of the Allegheny Valley Railroad at Allegheny City, Pa.

Lucian T. Snyder (printer and reporter) ; he had the honor of being the cleanest soldier in the garrison of Fort Washington, and on that account was invariably selected as foot orderly to the commanding officer when detailed for guard duty.

Henry F. Keiser, afterward private in Forty-ninth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers; slightly wounded on the Peninsula under General McClellan ; lost his eyesight by reason of exposure, etc., in the field; reported dead.

Charles E. Lamb, afterward sergeant First Regiment, District Columbia Volunteers ; died from disease contracted in the service.

Henry Printz, afterward sergeant Forty-sixth and lieutenant Two Hundred and Fifth Regiments, Pennsylvania Volunteers; discharged by reason of wounds received in action at the battle of Mount Jackson, Va.

Daniel Fissler, afterward member of Stevens' Light Battery; served during entire war; no further record; supposed to be dead.

John Hughes, since member Twentieth Regiment, Pennsylvania Cavalry; died at Newton Hamilton from disease contracted on the field.

John W. Jones, afterward sergeant and lieutenant One Hundred and Seventh Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers; also quartermaster in the Twelfth Regiment, Pennsylvania Cavalry.

Thomas Kinkead, afterward private in Fifty-sixth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers; killed in battle.

John S. Langton, farmer, Decatur, Ill.

General William Galbraith Mitchell, volunteered as a private; carried the Logan flag through the mob at Baltimore at the head of the column; promoted to adjutant Seventh (three months) Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, and afterward captain in Forty-ninth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, where by his soldierly qualities he attracted the attention of General Hancock. His gentlemanly deportment and gallant bearing caused him to be promoted rapidly. It is said that at the battle of Gettysburg, Hancock being severely wounded, General Mitchell, without any orders, placed Stannard's Iron Brigade to make a rush for Little Round Top, the key of the position. They reached there just in time to repel a heavy rebel infantry force who were almost up the hill. He participated in all the battles with the Army of the Potomac and rendered great service to his country. He finally became chief of staff to General Hancock, and upon the election of General Garfield he was appointed assistant adjutant general at the request of General Hancock, this being the very first appointment made by President Garfield. He did not live long thereafter. He was taken ill suddenly and after a brief sickness departed this life at Governor's Island, May 29, 1883, leaving a widow and family. His death was deplored by many eminent men. His honored remains were brought to Lewistown, his surviving comrades of the Logan Guards escorting them to their last resting place in St. Mark's Episcopal Cemetery. His ancestors were among the earliest settlers in this country.  One of them gave the ground gratuitously for the Court House, school house and jail.

William Sherwood, afterward lieutenant and captain Forty-ninth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers; served the entire war.

Nathaniel Scott, afterward a member First Regiment, Pennsylvania Cavalry; died in the service.

George Ard Snyder, re-enlisted in One Hundred and Thirty-first and Seventy-eighth Regiments, Pennsylvania Volunteers.

Frank Wentz, afterward first sergeant Company F, One Hundred and Seventh Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers; promoted to first lieutenant and brevet captain; was severely wounded in the first day's fight at Gettysburg.

Henry G. Walters.

Philip Winterode, afterward a private in the Forty-ninth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers; he participated in all the actions in which that fighting regiment was engaged, and in one of which he was wounded; he was killed on the Pennsylvania Railroad near Harrisburg by being run over by a train. The remnant of what once was the beautiful flag of the Logan Guards is now the property and has been placed in the custody of Colonel John B. Shelheimer for safekeeping, he being the senior officer.

Previous Page