National Light Infantry
Pottsville, Schuylkill County

Recruited at Pottsville
Mustered on April 18, 1861, at Harrisburg

Edmund M'Donald-Captain Eppinger, John M'Ginnes, James P.
James Russell-First Lieutenant Ellrich, Ernst T. Madara, William
Henry L. Cake-Second Lieutenant Eberle, David Mennig, George W.
Lewis J. Martin-Second Lieutenant Forseman, Amos Neis, Henry C.
Lamar S. Hay-First Sergeant Foren, Michael Parker, Thomas H.
Abram M'Intyre-Second Sergeant Foley, Edmund Pugh, William
William F. Huntzinger-Third Sergeant Garrett, William F. Quinn, Henry
George G. Boyer-Fourth Sergeant Garber, George W. Rauch, John
Ernst A. Sauerbrey-First Corporal Garrett, Charles F. Rich, Jonas M.
Charles C. Russell-Second Corporal Good, Uriah Redkey, Charles J., Jr.
Edward Moran-Third Corporal Gehring, Henry Richards, M. Edgar
Frederick W. Conrad-Fourth Corporal Gloss, Levi Roberts, William R.
D. D. Downey-Quartermaster Sergeant Goodyear, M. Simpson, John T.
Bull, Thomas G. Hughes, James M. Smith, James R.
Buckley, William Houck, Thomas G. Shoey, Jacob
Burrows, John Hoffman, Charles P. Stodd, John
Bast, Jacob Hauser, Herman Schmidt, John
Barlett, B. F. Hanley, Frank Smith, Alexander
Benedict, John E. Howard, David Schoener, Franklin A.
Bodafield, John Hartman, John Smith, Terrence
Beidleman, William A. Hodgson, William H. Saylor, Emanuel
Becker, William Howell, John M. Schertle, George
Britton, William Irving, William Thomas, Edward
Carroll, William Johnson, Joseph Troy, Ira
Curtin, Patrick Lambert, Enoch Trifoos, Elias B.
Christian, William A. Lashorn, William M. Umberhauer, C. F.
Dampman, J. J. Lipman, Anthony Walker, Mark
Deiner, John P. Lerch, George A. Wenrich, Frank
Dooley, John Larkin, Michael Weber, Louis
De Coursey, George Manayan, Lawrence Weber, Charles
Deitrich, Jeremiah Marshall, James Weller, William
Donegan, John M'Donald, James E. Womelsdorf, John P.
Donegan, James M'Cabe, Edward Yerger, Henry
Evans, James M'Cool, J. Addison

 

NATIONAL LIGHT INFANTRY.

By James Archbald, Jr., Pottsville, Pa.

"This company was organized in the summer of 1831 and was commanded successively by Captains Dean, Shoenfelter, Beard, Bland, Pott and McDonald. The interest in the organization, which had for a time been impaired, was revived under the skillful management of Captain Frank Pott, and the outbreak of the rebellion found it in efficient training under Captain McDonald."  (Bates' History of Pennsylvania Volunteers.)

The officers, who were at this time Captain Edmund McDonald, First Lieutenant James Russell, Second Lieutenants Henry L. Cake and Lewis J. Martin, had as early as April 11, 1861, by a resolution of the company, tendered its services to the Secretary of War and were notified on the 13th of their acceptance.  The company left Pottsville for Harrisburg on the 17th with the Washington Artillerists, and its experience during the three months' service was identical with that given in the history of the latter organization.  It was enrolled as Company D in the Twenty-fifth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, of which its senior second lieutenant, Henry L. Cake, was made colonel.  At the expiration of the three months' service it became Company A, of the Ninety-sixth.

The company was reorganized after the war, and on October 3, 1870, was enrolled as Company G of the Seventh Regiment, National Guard of Pennsylvania. The first captain was J. Albert Huntzinger, who resigned on April 17, 1877, and was succeeded by John M. Wetherill, whose commission dated from May 28, 1877.

Previous Page

Reference: The First Defenders, BY HEBER S. THOMPSON, PRESIDENT OF THE FIRST DEFENDERS' ASSOCIATION 1910