(Click on picture for a larger one)
Warren Avenue, between the Round Tops. Gettysburg
9th Penna. Reserves
The Regiment arrived on the field July 2d about
Recruited in the counties of Allegheny, Beaver, and
Total enrollment 1090
Field & Staff
Organized at Pittsburg July, 1861. Ordered to Washington, D.C., July 22. Mustered into United States service July 27, 1861. Attached to 3rd Brigade, McCall's Pennsylvania Reserves Division, Army of the Potomac, to March, 1862. 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to April, 1862. 3rd Brigade, McCall's Division, Dept. of the Rappahannock, to June, 1862. 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to August, 1862. 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 3rd Army Corps, Army of Virginia, to September, 1862. 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to February, 1863. 3rd Brigade, Pennsylvania Reserves Division, 22nd Army Corps, Dept. of Washington, to June, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to May, 1864.
SERVICE.--Camp at Capital Hill, Washington, until August 5, and at Tennallytown, Md., until October 10. Picket at Great Falls September 9-16. Moved to Camp Pierpont, near Langley, Va., October 10, 1861, and duty there until March 10, 1862. Companies "A," "B," "D," "F" and "G" on reconnaissance to Hunter's Mills November 19. Expedition to Gunnell's Farm December 6, and action at Dranesville December 20, 1861. Advance on Manassas, Va., March 10-15, 1862. McDowell's advance on Falmouth April 9-19. Duty at Fredericksburg until June. Moved to White House, Va., June 9-12. Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1. Battles of Mechanicsville June 26. Gaines Mill June 27. Charles City Cross Roads or Glendale June 30. Malvern Hill July 1. At Harrison's Landing until August 16. Movement to join Pope August 16-26. Battles of Groveton August 29; Bull Run August 30. Maryland Campaign September 6-24. Battles of South Mountain, Md., September 14; Antietam September 16-17. Duty in Maryland until October 30. Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 19. Battle of Fredericksburg December 12-15. "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863. Ordered to Washington, D.C., February 6. Duty there and at Alexandria until June 25. Ordered to rejoin Army of the Potomac in the field. Battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 1-3. Pursuit of Lee July 5-24. Bristoe Campaign October 9-22. Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8. Rappahannock Station November 7. Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2. Rapidan Campaign. Battle of the Wilderness May 5, 1864. Ordered home while in line of battle. Mustered out May 12, 1864.
Regiment lost during service 6 Officers and 131 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 49 Enlisted men by disease. Total 187.
The Ninth Regiment was organized at Camp Wright, near Pittsburg, on
the 28th of June, 1861, under the direction of General M'Call. Eight of the
companies composing it were recruited in Allegheny county; one in Crawford, and
one in Beaver. At the time of its organization there were over forty companies
in camp, recruited in the western part of the State, under the call for
seventy-five thousand men. The companies included in this regiment had been in
camp from the early part of May, and had been studiously drilled in elementary
The election for field officers resulted in the choice of
Conrad F. Jackson Colonel
Robert Anderson, Lieutenant Colonel
James M'Kinney Snodgrass, Major
The two former had seen service in the Mexican war. The latter was at the time Major General of the Eighteenth division of the State militia. The men generally had had no previous military experience. Immediately after its organization, the officers commenced a regular series of regimental and officers' drills, by which it was brought to a good degree of discipline.
On the 22d of July, the regiment was ordered to Washington. Leaving Pittsburg on the 23d, it proceeded to Harrisburg, where it was supplied with arms and equipments, and from thence proceeded to its destination, arriving at daylight of the 26th. Bivouacking a half mile east of the Capitol till evening, it marched to the Seventh street road, a distance of two miles, where it established its first camp. On the 28th the regiment was mustered into the United States service. Remaining in camp until the 5th of August, it was moved to Tenallytown, where was established the general camp of rendezvous for the Reserves, under the command of General M'Call.
Here was established a regular routine of camp and picket duties, and details of parties to work on the fortifications in the vicinity. Major Snodgrass was assigned to superintend the construction of what was afterwards named Fort Gaines, and continued there until the work was ready to receive its armament. From the 9th to the 16th of September the regiment was on picket duty at Great Falls, several miles up the Potomac. Here the rebels were for the first time encountered, holding the opposite bank. As opportunity offered they sent their leaden compliments across, which were promptly acknowledged. This exchange of civilities continued daily.
On the 21st of September, the Harper's Ferry smooth-bore muskets and the equipments received at Harrisburg, were exchanged for new Springfield rifled muskets and complete equipments, by the entire regiment, except company A, which was armed with Sharp's rifles, the private property of the men. On the same day it was reviewed by General M'Clellan, accompanied by his staff, General M'Call and staff, Governor Curtin and suite, the Secretary of War, and others.
On the 9th of October, the regiment broke camp at Tenallytown, and marching by the chain bridge, crossed into Virginia, and occupied a position near Langley, in line with the army of the Potomac, on its extreme right. Here the division went into winter quarters, and the discipline was made more stringent than before, as the enemy was supposed to be in the immediate front. In the organization of the corps which was here made, the Ninth was assigned to the Third Brigade, commanded by Colonel M'Calmont.
A school for regimental officers was established for the brigade, which was regularly attended, and which, with the schools in the different regiments for company officers, was of great service in the establishment of discipline and in preparation for successful maneuvering in the presence of the enemy.
On the evening of the 19th of November orders were received from Headquarters directing Major Snodgrass to proceed, with five companies of the Ninth Regiment, to make a reconnaissance of the enemy's lines in the neighborhood of Hunter's Mills, eight miles in front of our line. Information had that day been received that the rebels were engaged in advancing their lines, and as a review was to be held on the following day, it was deemed advisable to verify the rumor. Accordingly at ten o'clock that night, taking companies A, B, D, F and G, with a guide, and two mounted orderlies, the Major proceeded to the locality indicated and made a thorough examination of their position. Finding them unchanged, he returned and reported the result, arriving soon after daylight. Scarcely had the detachment come within our lines, when a body of rebel cavalry was discovered on its trail, but too late to do any harm.
Battle of Dranesville
On the 20th of December, General E. O. C. Ord, who had succeeded Colonel M'Calmont in the command of the brigade, was ordered by General M'Call to proceed with his command to Dranesville, for the double purpose of securing forage, and of driving back the enemy's pickets. At two o'clock P. M., near Dranesville, a considerable body of the enemy was met, and as the Ninth Regiment was on the right of our column, it was soon briskly engaged. When first encountered his line was concealed from view by a thick wood, and considerable doubt existed whether the troops, which were now within sixty or seventy paces, were friends or foes. The men were impatient to fire and Colonel Jackson could with difficulty restrain them; an officer of the regiment had reported that they were the Bucktails, and the Colonel, that he might avoid the fatal error of killing our own men, was determined not to attack until he knew whom he was fighting. The impression that the Bucktails were in front was strengthened by one of the enemy calling out "don't fire on us." One of our men imprudently asked, "are you Bucktails? the answer was, "yes, we are the Bucktails, don't fire." Nor did they fire until they received a full volley from the rebel line. The order was then given to open, and the action soon became spirited.
After posting the artillery General Ord gave the word to advance, "Kane at the head of his regiment leading. His and Jackson's regiments required no urging." The enemy was soon routed and the victory was complete. General M'Call, who came upon the field in the midst of the engagement, says,
"Here was the Ninth Infantry, Colonel Jackson, who had gallantly met the enemy at close quarters, and nobly sustained the credit of the State. * * The number of killed found in front of the position occupied by the Ninth Infantry, Colonel Jackson, is, in my estimation, proof enough of the gallantry and discipline of that fine regiment."
The loss was two enlisted men killed, and two officers and eighteen enlisted men wounded. General Ord mentioned in his official report as worthy of notice for gallant conduct Colonel Jackson, and Captains Dick and Galway, and recommended a list of seventy-one officers and privates "for reward for their gallant conduct."
Upon the return of the regiment to camp it was ordered to erect permanent winter quarters. The ground was unfavorable, but by thorough draining and grading the quarters were made comfortable. The winter passed with the usual routine of duty and schools of discipline, and without any further collision with the enemy-beyond occasional picket rencounters.
On the 15th of March the regiment broke camp and marched to Falls Church, where it met the entire division, and thence turned back towards Alexandria, the enemy for whom the army was in search having withdrawn from its position at Manassas. It finally halted at Bailey's Cross Roads. The camping ground here was unpleasant and the water bad.
The Reserves were now attached to the corps commanded by General M'Dowell, under whom they remained until they were ordered to the Peninsula. After remaining sometime at Bailey's, the regiment moved to Manassas and occupied quarters vacated by the enemy. On the 18th of April, it moved to Catlett's Station, where it encamped, the whole division being again united. Remaining until the first of May it was ordered to move in the direction of Fredericksburg, and arrived at Falmouth on the 4th. While here Colonel Jackson was ordered to take charge of the parties detailed to rebuild the bridge which the enemy had fired and destroyed, when he withdrew.
Preparations were made by M'Dowell's Corps for marching overland to join the army operating in front of Richmond, and the cavalry and a portion of the Reserves were already on the way; but the appearance of a heavy force of the rebel army in the Shenandoah Valley under Jackson, rendered this movement impracticable. A part of M'Dowells Corps was retained for the protection of the Capital, and the Reserves were ordered to proceed to the Peninsula by water.
In compliance with this order the Ninth broke camp on the 10th of June, and embarking on the steamer Georgia, proceeded to White House, whence by easy, marches it moved to Mechanicsville, arriving on the 19th. Here the division was assigned to the corps commanded by General Fitz John Porter. On the morning of the 20th, the regiment was ordered on picket duty, and was posted along the Chickahominy, within speaking distance of the rebel lines. For three days it remained in position without relief, and on the 23d was under arms until one o'clock P. M., when it was ordered to Mechanicsville. The noise of the enemy at work in a thick wood, concealed from view, excited apprehension. Accordingly companies C and G were ordered to cross the creek and ascertain the purpose of their activity. A sharp skirmish ensued, in which the enemy was driven back to his reserves. The two companies then retired and rejoined the regiment with a loss of one wounded.
Battle of Mechanicsville and Gaines' Mill
On the 26th of June, the Ninth took part in the battle of Mechanicsville, and was stationed, in the early part of the battle, in support of the Third Brigade, much exposed to the enemy's fire. Later in the day he commenced massing his forces on our left, when the Ninth was marched by the flank and took position to the right and partially in support of the Twelfth, where it maintained itself with unwavering ranks under a heavy and continuous fire. During the succeeding night, it was placed on guard in position stretching from our rifle-pits to the river, and on the following morning was left to cover the withdrawal of the division to Gaines' Mill. This difficult duty was successfully executed in broad day-light, in face of an enemy stung to madness by the bitter repulse of the previous day.
"In line," says General M'Call, in his official report of this battle, "our killed had been buried, our wounded had been sent off by seven o'clock A. M. on the 27th, and not a man, nor a gun, nor a musket was left upon the field. The regiments filed past as steadily as if marching from the parade ground."
Porter's Corps was drawn up in battle line at Gaines' Mill, and the division, as it arrived, was posted in rear, as a reserve. By two o'clock P. M. the enemy had attacked along the whole line, and by four o'clock the entire second line and reserves had been brought into action, and were desperately engaged. The Ninth was ordered to the support of the Sixty-second Pennsylvania and the Ninth Massachusetts regiments. With difficulty it passed a swampy ravine on its way, raked by the fire of the rebel infantry; but it reached the designated position in good order, and the three regiments were commanded to charge the enemy, now glorying in his strength, and pressing forward with confidence. The charge was successfully made; but advancing too far in pursuit of the retreating column, they were in turn counter charged, attacked in flank, and were obliged to yield the ground so gallantly won. Re-forming, they again and again returned to the onset, but were unable again to move him from his position, though they held their ground, and at night retained their place in the front line.
Retiring across the Chickahominy during the night, the Reserves two days later commenced the march across White Oak Swamp towards the James River. After crossing White Oak Creek, General M'Call was ordered to take position at the junction of the New Market, Charles City and Quaker roads, to repel any advance of the enemy from the direction of Richmond. The disposition was accordingly made, facing to the right flank, with Meade's Brigade on the right, Seymour's on the left, and Reynolds', now commanded by Colonel Simmons, in reserve. In front of the line of infantry, Randall's Battery was stationed on the right, Cooper's and Kern's opposite the centre, and two German batteries, Deitrich's and Kennerheim's, on the left. The Ninth Regiment was posted in support of Cooper's Battery.
At half past two P. M. the pickets were attacked, and at three the battle opened in earnest. The left flank being exposed, the enemy sought, by attacking in heavy force, to turn it. To avert the threatened disaster, the Fifth and Eighth, under command of Colonel Simmons, were sent to support it, and by obliqueing to the left, to meet his advance. But the great superiority of his numbers enabled him to mass his troops on all points of our line, and while the attempt upon the left was in progress, attacks were simultaneously made upon the centre and right. Cooper's Battery was repeatedly charged, and at each time by fresh troops; but they were as often swept back by the deliberate fire of the artillery and the steady fire of the Ninth.
During a short interval when this regiment was withdrawn to support a regular battery on the left, Kern's Battery, having fired its last charge, and failing to receive a supply, was forced to withdraw. The enemy seeing this became emboldened, and made a determined charge upon Cooper's Battery, capturing it. At this juncture the Ninth returned to its place, and finding the guns lost, charged upon and re-captured them. In this charge William J. Gallagher, of company F, captured the standard of the Tenth Alabama, killing the rebel color bearer.
Earlier in the battle, when the enemy had advanced within a few feet of Cooper's guns, the Ninth charged and drove him back at the point of the bayonet to his second line, where the fight became terrible, and one of his standard bearers fell badly wounded. On seeing it, William Tawney, of company I, rushed forward and caught up the flag, carrying it back into our lines. As the command fell back over the ground which had been held by the Seventh Regiment, and on which its flag had been dropped, seeing it, this-same William Tawney rushed forward through a storm of bullets and caught it up, carrying both flags off the field.
The most desperate fighting the Ninth had yet experienced was on this hotly contested field, and though the Third Brigade was terribly shattered, the division held its ground against vastly superior numbers, successfully protected the road on which the immense trains were moving, saved the two wings of the army from being separated and destroyed in detail, and withdrew from the field in good order and in its own good time.
Falling back to Malvern Hill, it was assigned a place in reserve and was under fire of the enemy's artillery, but not actively engaged. During the following night it moved with the entire army to Harrison's Landing, where supplies awaited its arrival, and where it enjoyed a few days of much needed rest.
Here the army occupied an intrenched camp, secure from attack, and the line of supply was well assured. The enemy subsequently moved some light batteries to the right bank of the James, and succeeded in throwing a few shells into it, but were soon driven away, and a picket line established so as to completely shield it from future attempts. The Ninth, together with the Tenth and Twelfth regiments, were engaged in this duty. As the troops advanced, the enemy, together with the inhabitants, for a radius of three miles around, withdrew, leaving the district clear. Details were established to guard the new line, and the Ninth remained engaged in this duty until the 16th of August.
In the meantime the Army of the Potomac had withdrawn from the Peninsula, and was proceeding to join the Army of Northern Virginia, under General Pope. The Reserves were the last to leave, and embarking upon transports moved up the Potomac to Acquia Creek, and debarking, thence marched to Falmouth Heights. Resuming the march after a brief halt, they moved via Kelly's Ford, through Rappahannock Station, Warrenton, New Baltimore and Hay Market, to meet the right wing of the rebel army under Jackson, in the vicinity of Manassas Junction. This forced march of five days without adequate supplies of provisions, with the enemy hanging on flank and rear, proved one of the most exhausting which it was ever their lot to endure.
Battle of Groveton
On the 29th of August, the division arrived in the neighborhood of Groveton, and on the afternoon of that day a rebel battery was discovered posted on its left, six hundred yards away. The Ninth and Tenth regiments were ordered to reconnoiter the ground and ascertain the enemy's strength and actual position. When within one hundred yards of his lines it was found that his guns were supported by a large force of infantry, which opened a murderous fire upon them, and from which they withdrew under cover of our guns. A stronger force was then sent forward, when he hastily abandoned the ground.
Battle of Bull Run
On the 30th, the regiment was on the extreme left flank of the division and of the union line. Very soon after the battle commenced the enemy outflanked us on the left, and gave the Ninth an enfilading fire which inflicted most grievous injury; but notwithstanding this, it was the last to leave the line, and the withdrawal was executed in good order. It re-formed under cover of Cooper's Battery, where the Third Brigade was posted for its support. Orders were soon received to fall back to a point five hundred yards to the rear, and re-form, but were scarcely executed when the line in front gave way, and it was ordered to retire across Bull Run.
Here the regiment reformed under command of Colonel Sickel, the senior officer of the division then on the field, under whose orders it marched to Centreville, arriving at ten o'clock P. M. The battle was disastrous to our arms, and particularly so to this regiment, losing heavily on account of its exposed position. Not the lack of valor on the part of the brave men here engaged, but a want of harmonious composition and movement of the army, made the result of the great slaughter and the hard fighting, vain.
Previous to entering upon this campaign Colonel Jackson had been promoted to be a Brigadier General, and had been assigned to the command of the Third Brigade, the command of the regiment devolving upon Lieutenant Colonel Anderson, who was subsequently commissioned Colonel, to date from 15th of July, 1862. During the battle Colonel Hardin, who was commanding the brigade, in the absence of Colonel Jackson, was wounded and carried from the field, when Colonel Kirk, of the Tenth, assumed command, who was also wounded, and Colonel Anderson succeeded him, and Major Snodgrass succeeded to the command of the regiment.
On the evening of the 31st, the Third Brigade was ordered on picket, on the Cub Run Road, leading to Centreville. Marching a mile out, it was posted by regiments at short intervals, with sentinels advanced, who were enjoined to observe strict silence, as the enemy still occupied a threatening attitude. At one o'clock A. M. it was re-called, and marched to the neighborhood of Chantilly, where it halted until daylight, and was moved about during the day, without coming to an engagement, until five o'clock P. M., when the division was hastily formed in solid columns of regiments by brigades, and the battle raged furiously until dark.
The regiment bivouacked on the field where it fought, and on the following morning retired to Arlington Heights. A little more than four months before, the Ninth had left this neighborhood a strong regiment, full of vigor and buoyant with hope; it was now again upon the same ground, reduced by killed, wounded and sick to near one half its former numbers, and the survivors worn and exhausted with almost constant marching and fighting; but it was here met with supplies and clothing, of which it was in great need, and after a little rest was again fresh in spirit and ready for the contest with its old foe.
Battle of South Mountain
It was allowed but two days for rest, and on the evening of the 3d of September was again ordered under arms, and that night marched through Washington into Maryland. It proceeded to Monocacy Creek and remained until the morning of the 14th, when the division broke camp and moved in the direction of Turner's Gap, in the South Mountain, where the enemy was strongly posted, to dispute the passage. Reno had already attacked on the left before the Reserves arrived. Meade, who was now in command, was ordered to move by a by-road to the right and attack, and if possible, turn his left flank. After ascertaining the position of the enemy, and that he was occupying the fastnesses of the mountain with infantry and artillery, the proper dispositions were made, and the division advanced to the attack, the Third Brigade being led by Colonel Gallagher of the Eleventh.
The ground was steep and rugged, and the enemy disputed every inch with great obstinacy; but the column swept the steep acclivity and triumphantly carried the summit, resting at night, masters of the field. In the heat of the contest, Colonel Gallagher was wounded, and the command of the brigade devolved upon Colonel Anderson, and that of the regiment upon Captain Samuel B. Dick, of company F, Major Snodgrass being at the time sick in hospital at Washington. In this engagement ten men were killed, and one officer and thirty-six men wounded.
Battle of Antietam
The battle of Antietam opened on the evening of the 16th, in which the Ninth participated, still under the command of Captain Dick. Resting on the field, in close proximity to the enemy's line, the battle was renewed at day light on the following morning. During the early part of the day, and until the ammunition was exhausted, the Ninth was hotly engaged. As the enemy was being driven back in one of the gallant charges of that day, Samuel Johnson, of company G, captured two flags belonging to the Texan Rangers and carried them off the field. He was commissioned a Lieutenant in the regular army and was presented with a medal by the Secretary of War for his gallantry. The loss was sixteen killed and sixty-eight wounded.6 After the battle of Antietam, the regiment moved with the army by easy stages to the neighborhood of Warrenton, where M'Clellan was relieved and Burnside ordered to its command. Masking his intentions by a demonstration in the direction of Gordonsville, he moved towards Fredericksburg, and commenced preparations for crossing the river and offering battle.
The Reserves under General Meade were attached to the First Corps, commanded by General Reynolds. The left wing of the Union army, comprising nearly half of its entire strength, embraced the grand division of General Franklin, to which the Reserves belonged, and a part of the grand division of General Hooker.
On the 12th of December, the left wing crossed the river on pontoons and assumed postion in front of the rebel works. The Reserves were selected for the attacking column. The Third Brigade, under General Jackson, held the right of the line, the First the left, and the Second was posted in reserve. The Ninth regiment occupied a position on the left flank of the division, and was thrown forward on the skirmish line. As it advanced near the foot of the hill to the left of the railroad, the firing became very severe, and in compliance with orders it was marching directly by the line, when it was ascertained that its supports had obliqued to the right and were out of supporting distance. The regiment then took shelter behind an old fence and ditch, which answered the purpose of rifle-pits. Here the men did excellent service picking off the rebel sharp-shooters and the gunners from a battery commanding the left flank of the division. This battery had been inflicting terrible slaughter upon our forces, but it was completely silenced by the sure marksmen of the Ninth. This position was held until it was ascertained that the remainder of the division had fallen back to the batteries, when the order was given to retire.
But as soon as the breast work was abandoned, and the men were out from cover, a terrific fire from the enemy's infantry, and from his battery, which had been held in check, was opened upon them. In the meantime a detachment of his infantry had been moving around to the left under cover of the woods, and had gained a position within a short distance of its left flank, ready to dash out and capture it. But the withdrawal was timely and successfully made. The loss was nine killed, twenty-seven- wounded, and sixteen taken prisoners. General C. F. Jackson, commander of the brigade, who had led the regiment in its first campaign, and to whom it was indebted for its efficient organization and training, was mortally wounded while in the act of ordering his men to the charge, and about to lead the way.
Shortly after Burnside's second attempt to cross the Rappahannock and give battle to the enemy, which was arrested by the sudden breaking up of the roads, the Reserves were sent to the Department at Washington to reorganize and recruit their shattered ranks. They were assigned to duty on the Orange and Alexandria railroad, and in the defences of Washington, and recruiting officers were sent to Pennsylvania for men. Consequently the regiment was not engaged in the battle of Chancellorsville.
Battle of Gettysburg
When it was ascertained that the enemy had again crossed the Potomac, in June, 1863, and was threatening Pennsylvania, application was made both by General Reynolds, who commanded the First Corps, and by General Meade, who commanded the Fifth Corps, to have the Reserves attached to their commands. Application was also made by the officers of the division, and great impatience was manifested by the men to be sent to the field.
Accordingly the First and Third Brigades, under command of Colonels M'Candless and Fisher, were ordered to join the Fifth Corps as it marched past Washington on its way to Gettysburg. General S. W. Crawford was assigned to the command of the division. Upon the removal of General Hooker, and the succession of General Meade to the command of the army, General Sykes was assigned to the command of the Fifth Corps.
On the 2d of July, Sykes having arrived upon the field, was by Meade's disposition, placed in reserve in rear and to the right of Round Top, in support of Sickels, of the Third Corps. When the latter, in his advanced position, was worsted and driven back, and the enemy was about to clutch Little Round Top, which was of great strategic importance, Sykes was ordered forward to stem the torrent of the victorious foe.
Having taken a part of his brigade to the summit to the support of Rice's Brigade, Colonel Fisher hastened back and sent the Ninth Regiment, under command of Lieutenant Colonel Snodgrass, to clear the ground and hold the line between Round Top and Little Round Top, of which the enemy had struggled hard to gain possession, and from which he was only driven by the most obstinate and determined fighting. Having gained the position designated, the line was fortified with the loose fragments of granite which lie scattered in profusion on the rugged sides of the mountain, and was made secure. against attack. This part of the line immediately fronted the "Devil's Den," in which the enemy's sharp-shooters took refuge, and from which they could not be dislodged. The loss in this battle was six wounded.
The regiment joined with the army in the pursuit of Lee, as he withdrew towards Williamsport, which resulted in driving him beyond the Potomac without further contest. Receiving fresh supplies of clothing, and after resting for a few days, it again entered Virginia and took part in the manoeuvres of General Meade to again bring the rebel chieftain to battle, which finally culminated in the expedition to Mine Run, where the former wisely declined to fight, after facing and thoroughly reconnoitering his antagonist's position.
During the remainder of the winter the Reserves rested in comfortable quarters, recruiting their depleted ranks and preparing for the spring campaign. On the very day that the campaign was inaugurated, and while standing in the front line in the Wilderness ready for battle, orders were unexpectedly received for the regiment to return to Washington. The term of service had expired, the first of the Reserve regiments, and quitting the field on the 4th of May, it proceeded to Harrisburg, and thence to Pittsburg, where it arrived on the 8th, and on the 13th was mustered out of service.