First Battalion Alabama Artillery
This command was recruited at Mobile, Montgomery,
Selma, and Eufaula, as part of the "Army of Alabama,"
and was organized about the first of 1861, at Fort Morgan. In
the spring the command was transferred to the Confederate government
as "regulars." Stationed at Fort Morgan and its dependencies,
the battalion attained a high degree of discipline, in so much
that the federal Gen. Granger pronounced it the most perfect body
of either army. Detachments of it manned the heavy artillery at
Forts Gaines and Powell, and rendered effective service. During
the terrific bombardment of Fort Morgan, the battalion, "moved
by no weak fears," handled the guns till they were all knocked
out of position, losing 150 killed and wounded of about 500 engaged.
The men were taken to Elmira, N. Y., where fully half died of
smallpox; and the officers to Fort Warren.