Thirty-Second Alabama
Infantry Regiment

McKinstry's (Alexander) Regiment
A. Wilson Guards
C. Dickinson Guards
E. Bigbee Tigers
G. Dickinson Guards










This regiment was organized at Mobile, in April 1862, and three months later proceeded to Tennessee. It was first under fire at Bridgeport, where it forded the Tennessee in the face of the enemy. Shortly after, the regiment captured Stevenson, with valuable stores. It operated in the middle of Tennessee, part of the time under Gen. Forrest, and was surprised and overpowered at Lavergne, losing a number of prisoners. Placed in Gen. D.W. Adams' brigade, the Thirty-second fought with severe loss at Murfreesboro. Having wintered at Tullahoma, the regiment was part of the force sent to Mississippi to the relief of Vicksburg. It was in the trenches at Jackson, and, without loss, repulsed an assault in the enemy, 260 of whose dead were counted and buried in front of its position. Two or three months later, the Thirty-second rejoined the Army of Tennessee, and participated in the battle of Chicamauga with small loss. It was then transferred from Adams' brigade to that of Gen. Clayton of Barbour, and consolidated with the Fifty-eighth Alabama, where its further record will be found.

32nd Infantry Regiment was assembled at Mobile, Alabama, in April 1862, with companies recruited in the counties of Clarke, Wilcox, Washington, Baldwin, Tuscaloosa, Monroe, Fayette, and Mobile. It served under Generals D.W. Adams, Clayton, and Holtzclaw, Army of Tennessee, and in November, 1863, was consolidated with the 58th Alabama Regiment. The 32nd participated in the Battle of Murfreesboro, was active in the trenches of Jackson, then fought with the army from Chickamauga to Nashville. During Janaury, 1865, it was transferred to the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana. It reported 105 casualtes at Murfreesboro and in January, 1863, had 196 men fit for duty. The 32nd/58th lost 257 at Chattanooga, totalled 325 men and 119 arms in December, 1863, and there were 240 fit for duty in November, 1864. Many were lost at Spanish Fort and only a remnant surrendered on May 4, 1865. The field officers were Colonel Alexander McKinstry; Lieutenant Colonel Henry Maury; and Majors Thomas P. Ashe, Thomas S. Easton, and John C. Kimbell.

Previous Page