Thirty-Seventh Alabama
Infantry Regiment

Dowdell's (James F.) Regiment
G. Wiche Jackson Blues










The Thirty-seventh was organized at Auburn, in the spring of 1862, under the requisition of President Davis for 12,000 more Alabamians. Ordered to Columbus, Miss., after a short time the regiment proceeded to Tupelo. There it was placed in Little's division, and in the brigade of Col. Martin of Tennessee, with three Mississippi regiments; but Gen. D.H. Maury succeeded Gen. Little, when the latter was killed at Iuka, where the Thirty-seventh was first engaged, with some loss. The regiment took part in the battle of Corinth, losing heavily in casualties. Its brigade commander fell at Corinth, and the Thirty-seventh was thrown into a brigade with the Second Texas, and Forty-second Alabama, Hen. John C. Moore commanding. The winter was spent in Mississippi, - the regiment retreating Holly Springs, and taking part in the repulse of the invaders at Chicasa Bayou. Early in 1863 the Thirty-seventh was sent to the Sunflower River, but went back in time to take part in the battles of Port Gibson and Baker's Creek, where its losses were severe. The regiment was then a portion of the garrison of the Vicksburg, and shared in the perils of that siege, where it was captured with the fortress. Exchanged soon after, the regiment was in parole camp at Demopolis. Ordered to the Army of Tennessee, it lost heavily at Lookout Mountain, and quite a number at Mission Ridge. The winter was passed at Dalton, where Gen. Baker of Barbour took charge of the brigade. At Mill-creek Gap, Resaca, Noonday Creek, Kennesa, and the series of battles around Atlanta, the colors of the Thirty-seventh floated at the front, as its long list of casualties shows. In one charge at Atlanta, July 22, its commander and 40 men were killed outright, out of 300 men present. During the fall and winter, the Thirty-seventh was on garrison duty at Spanish Fort, but moved into North Carolina. It broke the enemy's line at Bentonville, and furled its tattered banner a few days later, with 300 of its number present of the 1100 with which it took the field.

Previous Page