Forty-Sixth Alabama
Infantry Regiment

Wood's (Michael L.) Regiment
A. Southern Defenders
B. Coosa Rangers
C. John Gill Shorter Aides










The Forty-sixth was organized at Loachapoka, in the spring of 1862. Shortly after, it was sent to east Tennessee, and had several casualties in the fight at Tazewell. The regiment was in the weary march into Kentucky, in Stevenson's division, but did no fighting. When the army returned to Tennessee, the Forty-sixth was placed in a brigade with the Twentieth, Twenty-third, Thirtieth, and Thirty-first Alabama, under Gen. Tracy. In December, with all of Stevenson's division, the regiment was sent to Mississippi. In the battle of Port Gibson, where its brigadier fell, the regiment suffered severely. A few days later it was engaged at Baker's Creek, where its casualties were numerous, and where half the regiment was captured, including the field officers. The remainder were besieged in Vicksburg, suffering severely, and were captured with the fortress. Re-orgnized at Demopolis, with Gen. Pettus in command of the brigade, the Forty-sixth rejoined the Army of Tennessee. It lost considerably at Lookout Mountain and Mission Ridge, and made its winter quarters at Dalton. At Crow's Valley it was engaged, with several casualties. In the almost constant fighting from Dalton to Atlanta, the ranks of the Forty-sixth were thinned and at Jonesboro its list of casualties was large. Marching with Hood into Tennessee, it was one of the three regiments that made the brilliant fight at Columbia, where its loss was considerable. The Forty-sixth lost several killed and wounded at Nashville, and quite a number captured. It was the rear guard on the retreat, and the brigade was complimented by Gen. Hood in special orders for its services there. Transferred to North Carolina, the Forty-sixth was engaged at Kinston and Bentonville, with severe loss in the latter. Consolidated with the Twenty-third Alabama, with J. B. Bibb of Montgomery as colonel, (Col. Woods was transferred to the Nineteenth Alabama,) Osceola Kyle as lieutenant colonel, and J. T. Hester of Montgomery as major, the Forty-sixth was surrendered at Salisbury by Capt. Brewer, who had commanded it for two years.

Previous Page