C. Dr. Kelley Guards
G. Siler Guards
This regiment was formed by the consolidation
of the Second and Fourth battalions of Hilliard's Legion. The
Legion was organized at Montgomery June 25, 1862, and consisted
of five battalions one of which was mounted, and being detached
in a short time thereafter, became part of the Tenth Confederate
regiment. The Second battalion, six companies was commanded by
Lieut. Colonel Bolling Hall, Jr. of Autauga, and Major W. Stubblefield
of Coosa; the Fourth battalion was commanded by Major John D.
McLennan of Barbour. The legion proceeded to east Tennessee, nearly
3000 strong, under its commander, Col. Hilliard of Mongomery.
Proceeding to Cumberland Gap, it was part of the force that besieged
that position. In October the legion was a part of the force that
occupied Kentucky, a fatiguing march. It passed the winter and
summer following in east Tennessee during which time Col. Jack
Thorington of Montgomery (of the first battalion) succeeded Col.
Hilliard, and in April 1863 it was attached to Gen. Gracie's brigade.
The legion was in the great battle of Chicamauga, and left more
than half its number on the bloody field, and the flag of the
Second battalion was perforated by 81 balls. Moving into east
Tennessee, Col. Thorington having resigned, the legion was divided
into the Fifty-ninth and Sixtieth Alabama regiments, and Twenty-third
battalion, at Charleston, Nov. 25, 1863. The Fifty-ninth was at
the investment of Knoxville, and the fights at Dandridge and Beene's
Station, with some casualties, especially at the latter. In April
1864 the regiment reached Richmond, and shortly after took part
in the battle of Drewry's Bluff and the fight with Sheridan, losing
largely in casualties in the former. From June till the March
following, the Fifty-ninth was in the trenches of Petersburg,
or in the numerous fierce conflicts at the dank and rear of the
army, losing a number at Hatcher's Run and White-oaks Road. As
part of Gordon's corps, Bushrod Johnston's division, the regiment
was engaged at Appomattox, and there surrendered.